Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They already have a good 3c on the current roster...and another guy who to me is a decent 3c....they don’t need to go spend assets on another center right now...I actually like Ryan and he would definitely upgrade our 4th line...but I’d rather take our assets and go after a winger for Malkin and Kapanen and just let our other good centers play up if they need to. Sid, Geno, McCann, Blueger and Gaudreau is fine center depth
Yeah, no. McCann may or may not play Center in the long run. Gaudreau hasn't played long enough here to conclude much of anything. And Sid and Geno are injury prone.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just don't see anything he adds to this roster. TBH. The bottom six has been huge for us lately. I see no reason to add anything to it.
You're concluding they can keep this up? I don't believe they can. Yesterday, well, they had a bad game, that happens. But I don't expect us to roll over teams and the bottom six as currently constructed is the long term answer. Glendening can take key faceoffs. And we all SHOULD understand the importance of that. Better to have more options than less. Particularly at that cost.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You're concluding they can keep this up? I don't believe they can. Yesterday, well, they had a bad game, that happens. But I don't expect us to roll over teams and bottom six as currently constructed is the long term answer. Glendening can take key faceoffs. And we all SHOULD understand the importance of that. Better to have more options than less.

There is no importance to that aside on HFBoards and for coaches who haven't won anything.

Not to mention. Crosby and Malkin can take key face-offs as they have and did during our playoffs in the past.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There is no importance to that aside on HFBoards and for coaches who haven't won anything.

Not to mention. Crosby and Malkin can take key face-offs as they have and did during our playoffs in the past.
So did guys like Francis, Cullen, Gilhen and Trottier. You know, guys who are actually good at it.

I guess all NHL coaches are wrong and you are right. NOT!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The league isn't the same as it was in the Penguins first back to back. Our stars are not offensive only players that do not care about defense.
Cullen didn't play in '91, and he was used a lot in crucial situations to take key draws. How do you explain that?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Cullen didn't play in '91, and he was used a lot in crucial situations to take key draws. How do you explain that?

Cullen and Glendening are much different players. If we can acquire a Matt Cullen type player, I'll happily do it. Glendening is not a Matt Cullen type player.

Also. We finished 28th in the league in 2017 so obviously Cullen's face-off ability meant jackshit in the long run.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Never forget that JR said Jankowski and ERod were brought in to be 2/3 of the 3rd line

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cullen and Glendening are much different players.
But they are both good on faceoffs. You talk about coaches that haven't won anything, yes? I've heard Sully many times over the years talk about faceoffs and their importance. And he's won two stanley cups. How do you explain that?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But they are both good on faceoffs. You talk about coaches that haven't won anything, yes? I've heard Sully many times over the years talk about faceoffs and their importance. And he's won two stanley cups. How do you explain that?

Provide some quotes. The ones I know from Sullivan were that face-offs are a team effort not just the center. The 2016 and 2017 were not good face-off teams in their respective playoff years.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Provide some quotes. The ones I know from Sullivan were that face-offs are a team effort not just the center. The 2016 and 2017 were two of the worst face-off teams in their respective playoff years.
What was their percentage late when the games were hanging in the balance?

Just so you understand, no one believes the lies you're selling here Pixie. No one who has a modicum of common sense anyhow. No one!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Provide some quotes. The ones I know from Sullivan were that face-offs are a team effort not just the center. The 2016 and 2017 were not good face-off teams in their respective playoff years.

You sure about that?

Crosby - 52.4%, 49.2%
Malkin - 48.5%, 46.9%
Bonino - 48.5%, 52.3%
Cullen - 52.2%, 56.4%

Other than Malkin, our centers were largely reliable in the dot. Cullen, in particular, was strong both runs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You sure about that?

Crosby - 52.4%, 49.2%
Malkin - 48.5%, 46.9%
Bonino - 48.5%, 52.3%
Cullen - 52.2%, 56.4%

Other than Malkin, our centers were largely reliable in the dot. Cullen, in particular, was strong both runs.

We finished 7th and 8th respectively out of the playoff teams in both years percentage wise.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The acquisition of another center would push Jankowski out of the lineup.

Hell, the return of Blueger might push Jankowski out of the lineup.
tenor.gif

Not with Sully as coach.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You sure about that?

Crosby - 52.4%, 49.2%
Malkin - 48.5%, 46.9%
Bonino - 48.5%, 52.3%
Cullen - 52.2%, 56.4%

But bloody atrocious at EN and PK situations in 15-16, where he was 38% on PK and didn't win a single one against the Empty Net. Although maybe that was just him collapsing on the faceoff and preventing a clean win everytime, even if he rarely won it himself.

While Bonino was better in those situations in 15-16, the year he had the worst percentages overall.

I'm not typing the whole thing out because there's not a whole lot to learn other than small sample stats are funky, but we were a pretty dodgy dangerous situations faceoff team in 15-16 and okay enough at first glance in 16-17. Which, of course, doesn't line up with the regular season, where we were one of the worst in 16-17 and average in 15-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad