Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Exactly. A guy who is at 64% and is a career 55% faceoff guy is a better option than a guy who is at 41% this season and 41.5% for his career (McCann).

Is it a guarantee? No. But it ups the odds, and it helps even more that he - and Derek Ryan, for that matter - are right-handed. That provides options.

Everyone bitches about Sullivan not matching lines or using guys situationally, and here's an option that would enable him to do just that.

They also do not fit our style of play which is the bigger overarching complaint you and @Ryder71 seem to be missing.

I guess Ryan previously did.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As I've said repeatedly on this thread, McCann should be a wing.

what I think is more accurate to say is that McCann shouldn’t be a bottom six center...he does alright for a time in the top six, but he can’t be relied upon as a center in the bottom six for this team, which take more defensive assignments...that really limits his strengths imo...he can be a winger or a top six center for a period of time

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Agreed. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Or disputed in any way whatsoever. lol
Like, I know Glendening has subpar possession numbers, but how much of that is because of how atrocious the Red Wings are? And how much is due to him starting two-thirds or more of his shifts in the defensive zone? Put him on the Penguins with a different structure and more support, and suddenly those possession numbers might look different.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I love a good @Ryder71 and @Gurglesons exchange of insults battle.

giphy.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Like, I know Glendening has subpar possession numbers, but how much of that is because of how atrocious the Red Wings are? And how much is due to him starting two-thirds or more of his shifts in the defensive zone? Put him on the Penguins with a different structure and more support, and suddenly those possession numbers might look different.
That's why nuance and context here is important. He's playing on a bad team. So logically one would assume his other numbers might suffer as a result. Taking a faceoff is a one on one exercise. If once you win the draw you have a linemate that turns it over or makes a bad read that could reflect poorly on you (even though you won the draw).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was just talking about overall.

I think when talking about incredibly small sample sizes, like holding a small lead with EN situations during a 24 game stretch, it's difficult to draw a conclusion here or there about effectiveness. But the larger you stretch the sample size (ie. all situations) I think it paints a better picture.

In any case, like I said originally. I'm not saying faceoffs are the be-all, end-all and that they're one of the most important aspects of winning a hockey game. I just largely disagree with the idea that they don't matter at all. Whether you believe that to that degree or whether that's just pixie, that's my bigger contention.

Saying they don't matter at all is a bit out there for me.

But I will say that in general, the correlation between winning them and winning games is so marginal, if there at all, that they don't really matter.

And that where they do matter are those handful of specific situations, like Empty Net, where ten-twenty seconds of possession can really change a game, and that working out who's actually good at those situations is difficult because of small samples - and then working out whose ability there actually justifies being on the ice ahead of a player who's generally better is even harder.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Am I missing something or wasn't Sullivan already giving Gaudreau more minutes than Jankowski?

Why do we need someone else to also replace Jankowski?

This roster pretty clearly needs one piece, max, so let's maybe aim a bit higher than the Glendenings and Sheahans. They aren't making the difference in a playoff series over Gaudreau

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If you want a cheap and easy target, get Bennett for like a 4th + meh prospect or someone like Sceviour. If you want to really take a run at this thing, see if you can land Hall for a price that makes sense (I don't think you can) and hope like Hell he's motivated to prove everyone wrong (I'm not sure he is).

Other than that, who even gives a shit? :laugh:

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
If you want a cheap and easy target, get Bennett for like a 4th + meh prospect or someone like Sceviour. If you want to really take a run at this thing, see if you can land Hall for a price that makes sense (I don't think you can) and hope like Hell he's motivated to prove everyone wrong (I'm not sure he is).

Other than that, who even gives a shit? :laugh:

Have said before that I'm not sure that Bennett would work out here

But I am confident that he would make the playoffs more fun to watch, and it's all for entertainment so I am firmly pro-Bennett

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Have said before that I'm not sure that Bennett would work out here

But I am confident that he would make the playoffs more fun to watch, and it's all for entertainment so I am firmly pro-Bennett
There's a chance he could bring a Kunitz-lite style to a Geno-Kap line that would be great--if it works out, big if. If not, he's a bottom-6 guy who brings some physicality and doesn't seem to wilt in the playoffs. If he fails in that regard, you scratch him and forget he exists.

A line with Bennett and Tanev running around punishing people on the forecheck would be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad