Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|2 Days - TDL "Center" of Attention - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Go....

@Andy99 said:

This summary brought to you by another poster...

“Some trade deadline rumblings, Penguins and league wide:

--Kingerski lists Mantha, Bennett, and Virtanen as the 3 players that should be top targets for the Penguins. Penguins would have to ship out salary plus a good prospect to land Mantha, reports are that Bennett's relationship with Calgary is much better under Sutter, and that Virtanen cost might be high (why, no idea) plus Vancouver cannot take much back as they have no cap space. The one thing I will say is, I believe Detroit was the team that most heavily scouted Pittsburgh this season, easily making 5-7 visits, with assistant GM Pat Verbeek making 2-3 of those trips. Detroit must have had their eye on someone from Pittsburgh, but will it lead to a deal?

--Sean Gentile just released a piece with some center options. Pretty good piece actualy.
----Cody Eakin - only mentioned him because his name popped up. Gentile stated to stay far, far away. His analytics were so bad some people thought they were looking at Jack Johnson charts.
----Vlad Namestnikov - Not overly physical but will use the body. Not sure of the price because he has another year left. Stated with a lot of draft capital in 2021, Wings might be more apt to take a 2022 pick. Maybe a 2022 4th and one of the Penguins goalie prospects (noted that Wings goalie pipeline is very weak).
----Luke Glendenning - Basically, said his defensive ability is overrated. Namestnikov actually has better shot suppression numbers and better, but not great offensive ability.
----Sam Bennett - mentioned how he ramps it up in the playoffs, but mentioned same thing that even though he requested a trade this year, he seems to be doing better and happy under Sutter in Calgary. Also strong feeling that Calgary severely overvalues him, especially as a player any acquiring team isn't likely to protect and at age 24, someone Seattle will likely have interest in.
----Scott Laughton - says Laughton is the best fit out of anyone he mentioned. Obviously says PIT-PHI lack of trading is a complication, and that they may have to find a 3rd team willing to take Pettersson for a high pick that then moves onto Philly(although he doesn't think Penguins would move Pettersson mid-season to do something like this).....or Hextall might have to strongly consider giving up the 2021 2nd round pick that he claims he won't.

My take on these is, if the Flyers would actually deal with us, I would move the 2021 2nd in a heartbeat for Laughton. Penguins will have the summer to try and move guys like Riikola, Pettersson, or even Zucker to pick up some extra draft capital.

--Add David Savard to the list of trade deadline scratches. Heavy interest in Savard, so he is being pulled from tonight's lineup.”

@Gurglesons said:

"Ryan Lambert just said on the PDOCast we should trade Zucker + pick for Johnny Gaudreau retained.

I'm down guys. I'd even do Zucker + POJ for Gaudreau.

Then we can do Gaudreau - Gaudreau - Goodrow."

@Andy99 said:

"FYI Friedman just says he doesn’t think Flyers will move Laughton unless they can’t sign him and he said he’s not sure why that would be the case since Laughton loves being a Flyer..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The more I think about it, I think Bennett is the best choice. He'll cost less than Laughton, which is important, because I think there is a path to the Penguins getting younger next year.

For rest of the season:
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
Bennett-McCann-Rodrigues
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Tanev

With the option to move McCann to Malkin's wing and Bennett to 3C.

With the expansion draft, you can protect Guentzel, Crosby, Rust, Malkin, Kapanen, McCann and Blueger. Leave Tanev and Bennett exposed. Protect Letang, Dumoulin and one of Matheson/Pettersson. Seattle takes whoever is left. Just bite the bullet.

Next year is when it could get interesting, especially if Bennett sticks. Assuming Seattle takes one of Tanev/Bennett rather than the defensemen, you could trade Matheson or Pettersson for futures and cap space.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Poulin-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker-McCann-Legare
Bennett or Tanev-Blueger-Aston-Reese

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson/Pettersson-Marino
Joseph-Friedman/UFA

And perhaps you have enough wiggle room to have a veteran, physical UFA as a 13th forward if Poulin/Legare aren't ready or in the event of the inevitable injuries. But I like how they've played in juniors in their limited time, they've done things the right way when given a chance in camp. And maybe they even play together on the same line in Pittsburgh eventually like they are now.

Friedman and Joseph would be more physical on D. I'd love to get rid of both Matheson and Pettersson, but that's unrealistic.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Penguins plan on having Zohorna and Angello as guys on the NHL roster next year, I think that basically ensures that they'll have to move on from Lafferty. You only have so many roster spots, especially if the Penguins carry 8 D again next year, so you can't keep all of Zohorna, Angello and Lafferty if they're all going to be on the NHL roster next year.

Lafferty and Riikola are the 2 main trade pieces I'd be using to get upgrades at the deadline. I don't even think they have much value because they're only depth guys, but you can probably throw a 4th or so on top of one of those guys and get Sam Bennett or someone like that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If the Penguins plan on having Zohorna and Angello as guys on the NHL roster next year, I think that basically ensures that they'll have to move on from Lafferty. You only have so many roster spots, especially if the Penguins carry 8 D again next year, so you can't keep all of Zohorna, Angello and Lafferty if they're all going to be on the NHL roster next year.

Lafferty and Riikola are the 2 main trade pieces I'd be using to get upgrades at the deadline. I don't even think they have much value because they're only depth guys, but you can probably throw a 4th or so on top of one of those guys and get Sam Bennett or someone like that.

I dunk on Lafferty a lot but I think he's still got more potential than Angello and is showing it more recently. Not that this would bother me that much but I might offer Angello first.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dunk on Lafferty a lot but I think he's still got more potential than Angello and is showing it more recently. Not that this would bother me that much but I might offer Angello first.

I agree but I also think Lafferty is much more easily replaceable within the organization than Angello is. I also think Angello fit's what the management wants more than what Lafferty offers. I don't think it really matters either way, neither are going to be more than 4th liners in the NHL IMO, but I think Lafferty would be a tad bit more likely.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Jake-Sid-Rust
Trade-Geno-Kap
Zucker-McCann-ERod
ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Some team will definitely want Lafferty given the speed, hits and his fight tonight. Id put him on the block for sure

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Guentzel Crosby Rust
Zohorna Malkin Kapanen
Zucker McCann Rodrigues
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
Sceviour Gaudreau Lafferty
O’Connor Jankowski Angello

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Since people don't want Zucker anymore (not me, I like him) Hexxy will trade him back to Minny for Foligno in the summer. We also sign Laughton.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
LD is a bigger priority than anything at forward.

Petts meh. Math is an adventure.

If you make a move, do whatever you have to do to upgrade 2LD.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

We should have moved on from Laff mid-February at the the absolute latest. He’s wasting a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad