Post-Game Talk (GBU): Pittsburgh Penguins at Buffalo Sabres , 7:00 PM EST, 3/5/2020

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Holy crap. I was only half joking that they wouldn't like that he takes the puck to the net instead of the point. :biglaugh:

Why cant we get a progressive thinking head coach? Never would have thought Ralph would be so stubborn with his ways

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I didn't watch the game. How did we look? Krueger said we had the best 2nd period of the year? Is that true?

I mean any perio you get outscored shouldn't really count, but we controlled play for the majority of it and looked pretty good. But damn the standing still on the PP and the passing back to the point has to stop.

Reactions: EichHart

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Girgensons, Larssson, Okposo, Vesey all need to go don’t sign them. They need new blood. I know they bring somewhat decent things to the table but we don’t win with them at all. I want something new .

Respectfully disagree re: the bolded. That line has been one of the few bright spots (relatively speaking) this season. The three of them play off against each other/read each other on the ice pretty well.

If this team has any chance of ever playing serious games in March, our best players can't disappear like this.

Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart have all done bad tonight, and most of the 5 games.
If the team truly had a chance at the playoffs, I think you’d see them play a lot harder and with more heart, soul and guts. As it is, they’re just going through the motions to finish out the season. From a fan perspective, that’s disappointing but from a human being perspective, it’s understandable. It’s like a high school senior in April with “senioritis”.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mean any perio you get outscored shouldn't really count, but we controlled play for the majority of it and looked pretty good. But damn the standing still on the PP and the passing back to the point has to stop.

game 67 is too far into the season to be patting oneself on the back for moral victories like playing well in a period. Wins are all that matter at this point, and coaches being satisfied because “they are learning” explains why improvement in this franchise increases at a glacial pace. This isn’t good enough. Krueger may not be to blame for level of talent, but he’s responsible for cleaning up mistakes in their play, and when we are seeing the same mistakes from everybody, he sure as hell has responsibility to account for those mistakes at this stage of the season.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
game 67 is too far into the season to be patting oneself on the back for moral victories like playing well in a period. Wins are all that matter at this point, and coaches being satisfied because “they are learning” explains why improvement in this franchise increases at a glacial pace. This isn’t good enough. Krueger may not be to blame for level of talent, but he’s responsible for cleaning up mistakes in their play, and when we are seeing the same mistakes from everybody, he sure as hell has responsibility to account for those mistakes at this stage of the season.
Agree. Also, this is something that occurred to me recently, but he has been very careful since the day he was hired not to say that playoffs were the goal this year. On one hand, I get that. This roster isn't the greatest, and he doesn't want to set himself up for failure. On the other hand, the leadership of this organization talks a lot about "culture change," and yet everyone from the top down has been accepting failure for years now. Losing is totally acceptable to them. When we lose, we get the same BS about how much "growth" is occurring, yet it's clear to all of us that this is the same crappy, heartless team that we've had every year since Pegula took over. Nothing is going to improve until leadership at all levels of this organization stops being okay with losing. We don't need to see improvement (well yes, we do, but), we need to start winning as soon as possible, or the team is going to keep shedding fans and maybe even drive Jack Eichel away at some point. The first step should be canning Botterill at the end of the season. And frankly, while I'd be okay with Krueger staying on for another year under a new GM, I also wouldn't mind him being shown the door. It's pretty clear that his motivational speaker thing isn't working any magic here.

Last edited:

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
When Jack isn't producing and we need a guy to step up...definitely don't look for Reinhart to do anything. Hopefully the new GM ships him out in a trade for a top 6 center and not pay 7 mil per for a guy who never does anything without Jack doing most of the work. Sam is the king of going on hot streaks when the season is already done.

Reinhart is a more talented version of Derek Roy. I'm ready to send him packing, but I fear botterill will not get value in return. Maybe we will have a new GM and he can send him packing this summer.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I didn't watch the game. How did we look? Krueger said we had the best 2nd period of the year? Is that true?

Not sure I'd say that, but it was a strong period with many quality scoring chances. Missed opportunity was the theme of the game tonight, along with bad Sabre goaltending and good Penguin goaltending.

Reactions: EichHart

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

It's why Krueger and the players are always talking about how we have to "work harder" after a loss, and how we need more goal scoring, need to convert our chances, etc.

It's the way they play offensively. Everything goes around a perimeter along the glass and gets funneled back to the point for a long shot through a crowd of people...with the shot usually not being on net in the first place.

That's our offensive scheme. I think a large function of that is the players we have; they are soft Reinhart types who do not want to crash and bang and go the sweet spots on the ice.

There are a few exceptions; Gus has always been willing to attack the net and Simmonds should probably help in that regard, but still....it's not nearly enough.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Respectfully disagree re: the bolded. That line has been one of the few bright spots (relatively speaking) this season. The three of them play off against each other/read each other on the ice pretty well.

If the team truly had a chance at the playoffs, I think you’d see them play a lot harder and with more heart, soul and guts. As it is, they’re just going through the motions to finish out the season. From a fan perspective, that’s disappointing but from a human being perspective, it’s understandable. It’s like a high school senior in April with “senioritis”.
Funny, I've read that Joe DiMaggio NEVER had that sort of entitlement - what's the point -type of attitude. Must have something to do with the culture and the pay scale...

Oh sorry, that's right... Joe who? (ancient history....)

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's why Krueger and the players are always talking about how we have to "work harder" after a loss, and how we need more goal scoring, need to convert our chances, etc.

It's the way they play offensively. Everything goes around a perimeter along the glass and gets funneled back to the point for a long shot through a crowd of people...with the shot usually not being on net in the first place.

That's our offensive scheme. I think a large function of that is the players we have; they are soft Reinhart types who do not want to crash and bang and go the sweet spots on the ice.

There are a few exceptions; Gus has always been willing to attack the net and Simmonds should probably help in that regard, but still....it's not nearly enough.
That scheme actually sounds a lot like the previous coach's scheme (or how it ended up on the ice... in spite of what he WANTED to run...)

Yep, maybe it is the players we have. Gus is a great example. Everyone likes and appreciates his work ethic. Me too. The problem is that he's just not the best - or even in the top 10 - of NHL players who play that way. But he's the best we have so.... let's resign him!!!!

Huh? Ya think???

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Funny, I've read that Joe DiMaggio NEVER had that sort of entitlement - what's the point -type of attitude. Must have something to do with the culture and the pay scale...

Oh sorry, that's right... Joe who? (ancient history....)
That's kind of a weird point of comparison considering that Joe Dimaggio's team won the pennant 10 out of the 13 years he played (and was close behind the pennant winner two of the three years they didn't win).

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Agree. Also, this is something that occurred to me recently, but he has been very careful since the day he was hired not to say that playoffs were the goal this year. On one hand, I get that. This roster isn't the greatest, and he doesn't want to set himself up for failure. On the other hand, the leadership of this organization talks a lot about "culture change," and yet everyone from the top down has been accepting failure for years now. Losing is totally acceptable to them. When we lose, we get the same BS about how much "growth" is occurring, yet it's clear to all of us that this is the same crappy, heartless team that we've had every year since Pegula took over. Nothing is going to improve until leadership at all levels of this organization stops being okay with losing. We don't need to see improvement (well yes, we do, but), we need to start winning as soon as possible, or the team is going to keep shedding fans and maybe even drive Jack Eichel away at some point. The first step should be canning Botterill at the end of the season. And frankly, while I'd be okay with Krueger staying on for another year under a new GM, I also wouldn't mind him being shown the door. It's pretty clear that his motivational speaker thing isn't working any magic here.

Good points. But I want Ralph and Jason gone. Jason's had his shot and has bungled it badly. Ralph has pontificated enough to make me want to punch him out.

Edmonton knew what they were doing when they gave him his walking papers.

Everybody adores a coach (or teacher) who loves them back and always makes them feel positive about however things are going. Sort of like self esteem education on steroids.... the fragile little flowers that they are......

Reactions: Ralonzo

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That's kind of a weird point of comparison considering that Joe Dimaggio's team won the pennant 10 out of the 13 years he played (and was close behind the pennant winner two of the three years they didn't win).

Maybe weird but Joe always played his hardest no matter the situation or the opponent. Writers asked him why he was putting out so much effort during a game that meant so little and he responded that it might be the only time someone - a fan perhaps - saw him play and he didn't want to let them down.

That's would be a pretty radical and isolated attitude in much of today's professional sports culture, I'd say...

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad