Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguin Salary Cap Thread: Suspense is Terrible, Hope It'll Last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Matheson cannot, and will not succeed without being paired with Marino. Also, Petts-Riikola is a perfectly fine bottom pairing, and miles better than any bottom pairing we've had for years now thanks to the constant presence of guys like JJ, Schultz, and to a lesser degree Trotman.

That's not true. Matheson can succeed in a reduced role here easily.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would love them to be in on a few of these deals we've seen, too. It's not like I'm sitting here cheerleading... there is still an awful lot to prove next season. But you can't make these guys sign, you have to give credit when it's due if you are to be taken seriously (here and elsewhere), there is always more than one way to skin a cat and the team still has cap room and plenty of free agency left.

I think patience will pay off. There will be a few nice pieces laying around in the wreckage they can pick up when the dust settles. And even if not I'm more than fine rolling with this and taking another look next season when largely the same logic will still apply.
So, you're willing to take a very conservative approach this season even though the clock is ticking mightily on the Sid and Geno era? I on the other hand think it's important to be aggressive without necessarily being reckless. All we had to do was shore up the bottom six.

And while that guarantees absolutely nothing it at least affords us a punchers chance to legitimately compete. As it stands now we're placing a very heavy burden on our top six. I just don't see this as a recipe for success. Things can change, but as it stands now it's not looking very promising. And the sad part is, when constructing a team, shoring up the bottom six is one of the easier tasks as opposed to finding a top line center, a top four defender or a number one goalie. Plain and simple this should have been remedied by now. Again, it shouldn't be that hard in achieving.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was also curious so I checked, the Penguins are the 13th youngest team going into next year at 27.4 years as the average age. The thing really pulling the average up is the fact that Letang, Malkin and Crosby are all in their mid 30s already, so I think that really emphasizes how good of a job JR has done this off-season to make the team younger. I don't have the exact numbers for last year, but being younger than average when your core is 33 or 34 seems like a pretty good thing for the rest of the team.

The only players older than the average age are Malkin (34), Crosby (33), Letang (33), Sceviour (31), Ruhwedel (30), DeSmith (29), Dumoulin (29), Zucker (28), Tanev (28) and Rust (28). The last 6 guys aren't even an age that I'd consider "old" for their positions, either. Guentzel, Kapanen, McCann, Jankowski, Blueger, Marino, Matheson, Pettersson and Jarry are all in the prime 23-26 age range, as are depth guys like Riikola, ZAR and Lafferty.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Reduced role? I hear he’s got a good personality ;)

190708124542-01-elderly-isolation-chat-benches-super-tease.jpg

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I Suppose so, but they were on the "4th" line last season.

But they were used like a 3rd line.

Not only was the ZAR-Blueger-Tanev line used as the 3rd line all last year due to injuries but they also did a great job at it. That line had 70% defensive zone starts against mostly the other teams top lines and still had great measurables in all areas. Tanev also had a great year before we traded for him as a 3rd line player. McCann is also a great option for the 3rd line. Jankowski was easily good enough to play 3rd line duty and showed that with his rookie season with 17 goals and then the year after with 14 goals and 32 points. All take a good defensively responsible Center that can score mid teens in goal and 30+ points. Definitely have plenty of good options to make a good 3rd line. I wouldn't mind if Poulin plays well in camp and forces his way on the team which would make him another option for that line. Don't count out O'Connor also with him being the top UFA winger coming out last year.

I love having a young fast team instead of the aging and slowing players we moved on from. Let's see how this team gels and then make a move if needed as the year moves on. Maybe someone like Maniscalco is our next Marino. Doubtful but nobody was touting Marino at this time of year either.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Man, Vegas is kinda f***ed unless someone bites on MAF.

They seem to be talking a brave game now about how this was the the end goal all along.

They are only $974K over the cap right now. Lehner will be going on LTIR once the season starts. One trade will get them under the cap for when Lehner comes back. This isn't like the Leaves that were $11MM over the cap and trading for all the LTIR contacts they could find.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Very minor detail from Molinari - when Rutherford's talking about RD options, he references POJ and Cameron Lee as WBS guys who might go well, but not Maniscalco.

Yup.

That's interesting. Lee was pretty highly thought of as a college UFA and POJ obviously has proven ready after his very strong season in the AHL. POJ got better and better as the season went on and played top pairing, PP, and PK. If the opening position was for a LD I would be all for him being the answer. Being that it is a right defenseman spot I don't know if it is the best fit to begin your NHL career on your off side. I would love if someone like Lee or Maniscalco could beat out Ruhwedel. I rather have the upside.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't only mean in terms of the cap, I also mean in the sense of creating some weird-ass locker room drama for nothing. :laugh: It's something I expect more from the Pens, to be honest.

Yeah I mean the cap thing is what it is... a move or two and they are good to go. But that kind of drama doesn't just disappear.

Whatever. I loathe Vegas anyway. Looks good on em.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think he is put in a position to succeed or do as much as we need him to do alongside someone like Ruhwedel or Riikola.

He's gotta be with Marino if he's got any shot to hit his potential ceiling, imo. This blueline's been missing a secondary, Daley/Schultz-like presence in transition and production for years.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't see how MAF can be in Vegas to start the year. Remember how much JR talked JJ up in the weeks, days, and hours before his release? McCrimmon is just trying to bluff the team(s) that are strong-arming him into thinking he's willing and able to keep MAF.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think he is put in a position to succeed or do as much as we need him to do alongside someone like Ruhwedel or Riikola.

He's gotta be with Marino if he's got any shot to hit his potential ceiling, imo. This blueline's been missing a secondary, Daley/Schultz-like presence in transition and production for years.

Matheson - Ruhwedel would be fine.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see how MAF can be in Vegas to start the year. Remember how much JR talked JJ up in the weeks, days, and hours before his release? McCrimmon is just trying to bluff the team(s) that are strong-arming him into thinking he's willing and able to keep MAF.
I agree. Even if they are going to be bald to put Lehner on IR to start the year, it’ll be a a lot tougher to move Fleury mid-season.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well unfortunately that's a whole other kettle of fish innit?

How this coach will use the roster. Kinda shattered my confidence in the guy last season.
Sullivan would rather the guy from the Temple of Doom rip his beating heart out of his chest than split up ZAR-TB-Tanev, I'm pretty sure. Even if it means icing a far weaker 3rd line than we have the potential to ice.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
:laugh: Alright, whatever.

You realize Matheson's issues are mainly mental overplays and playing in a system in Florida that basically allowed people to do whatever they want while being used as a defensive defenseman. A structure like PITs that suits his positives and low ice time and light work loads will do wonders for his game.

I'd argue Marino might be somewhat of a train wreck because he's going to be used in much more difficult situational positions with him. Despite Marino being the best safety net on the team.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think the Penguins will have a clear 3rd line, more like a 3A and 3B line. Both will be used as defensive lines to open up offensive opportunities for the top-6, but I think they'll both have similar ice times.

I still think we'll see McCann-Jankowski-Poulin and Tanev-Blueger-Sceviour, with Rodrigues and Lafferty as extras and ZAR on LTIR until he's traded. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jankowski or Sceviour moved for a better 3C during the year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
No, I hate Rutherford and wanted him fired, but I'm not going to spend the whole summer complaining about things from the past when he's made some solid moves.

Are you @petterssonsego

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You realize Matheson's issues are mainly mental overplays and playing in a system in Florida that basically allowed people to do whatever they want while being used as a defensive defenseman. A structure like PITs that suits his positives and low ice time and light work loads will do wonders for his game.

I'd argue Marino might be somewhat of a train wreck because he's going to be used in much more difficult situational positions with him. Despite Marino being the best safety net on the team.

Yep, and that's essentially how we rehabbed Schultz and Niskanen.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad