OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with more Fake News

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Last few posts:

A friend of mine's dad played international rugby in the 70s and the stories I've heard about the stuff people did in the scrums are insane. :laugh:

I was really good at tackling (not surprisingly), but that was before they really started enforcing the horse collaring rules. Man, did we get away with some shit. :laugh:

My worst was breaking my nose, fracturing my jaw and snapping 4 fingers in my right hand in a botched tackle and ensuing scrum.

Still had a pint with the lads after, through a straw mind you.

Man and I thought blowing out my knee in hockey was traumatic. You guys are f***in' nuts.

One rugby player I knew broke his arm, played through the game, and then, after he got his arm set in a cast, used the cast to beat the shit out of half a fraternity in a fight. :laugh: Dude was like Conan the Cimmerian or Nathan Explosion, in the flesh.

SXiS.gif

Damn some people are insane haha.

My hockey injuries were breaking my sterno-clavicular joint in multiple pieces in 9th grade from a cheap shot at Silver Sticks finals and partial MCL tear in hockey school game.

I had a few knee strains in college, but nothing too bad.

I finished that game, btw. I don't remember most of it. But I had my fingers wrapped and yeah. We rugby blokes are an odd bunch for sure. I regret none of it though. The jaw being fractured was after at the game before the pub, we did xrays and hospital told me "Mate your jaw is fractured" and all I could think was "Well f***ing eh mate, explains why my face hurts innit?"

Game in the morning, had the Xrays done and determined I didn't need surgery in the late afternoon, pint with the mates in the evening while on painkillers, clearly not smart in your early 20s.

There's a lot in common with ruggers and judoka. :laugh: I can't count the amount of times I or a teammate broke a toe or a finger or dislocated something during a match and on the sideline after, the only thing you hear is "hey, maybe we should pop your shoulder back in place" or "you might want to tape that up, you got 90 degree fingers". You tape it back up, go in, fight for another round, and then, after the tournament, you go to the bar and THEN the hospital to figure out what the damage is. :laugh:

My girlfriend hates tournament season. :dunno: :laugh:

I never even went to the hospital. Which is probably quite stupid.

I have at least reached the point where I usually go off the first time I'm injured these days.

Same, really. :laugh: At tournaments, I take it a bit easier-- I don't really try to fight through injuries anymore, and I definitely am more vigilant about warming up, conditioning, and rehab before hand.

Soft-ish rule: if I win the match, but will have trouble lifting a beer mug after, it's time to bow out of the tournament. :cheers:

Please continue

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

AltDess

Jun 19, 2009
Changing of the guard with Pens reporters and beat writers?
Watching the coach & player interviews on the Pens website and don't hear many of the "old guard" writers asking questions, it's a lot of new people.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Changing of the guard with Pens reporters and beat writers?
Watching the coach & player interviews on the Pens website and don't hear many of the "old guard" writers asking questions, it's a lot of new people.

I admit I haven't listened to many of them, but I heard Rossi, Kovacevic and Potash when they were talking to Malkin last week. Doesn't seem like much in the way of a changing of the guard to me.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Nah. As a 15 year media member I'm just tired of hacks who have to be outrageous because they don't have actual talent.

I'm not a huge supporter, but I'd argue he may be the only one with talent. A vast majority of people could replace what else is out there without a sweat. A large portion of the media is redundant in todays age.

You seem a little upset that that he's successful for some reason.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I'm not a huge supporter, but I'd argue he may be the only one with talent. A vast majority of people could replace what else is out there without a sweat. A large portion of the media is redundant in todays age.

You seem a little upset that that he's successful you are not and you think you should be or something.

I work in Division I athletics, produce events for ESPN, have worked for PBS, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, Fox News, MLB Network, and more. I've covered the Carolina Panthers and was credentialed for their Super Bowl several years ago, had media passes for signature NHL events, and have traveled the country for work. I have a house I own. There is zero jealousy. I'm extremely successful. It's merely annoyance at a terrible schtick that any lazy person can do that plays to the lowest common denominator.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I work in Division I athletics, produce events for ESPN, have worked for PBS, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, Fox News, MLB Network, and more. I've covered the Carolina Panthers and was credentialed for their Super Bowl several years ago, had media passes for signature NHL events, and have traveled the country for work. I have a house I own. There is zero jealousy. I'm extremely successful. It's merely annoyance at a terrible schtick that any lazy person can do that plays to the lowest common denominator.

Disagree. My wife wants to blow her brain out when I have the fan on. She doesn't give 2 shits about sports other than to placate me. She doesn't mind listening to madden and often time finds it funny. That's talent.

You don't have to like it, but to do what he does well isn't easy.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Mark Madden sums up everything I hate about radio personalities, wrestling, and sports media all in one orb of unwashed hair.

He's a lout whose sole job is to be so inflammatory and wrong that people engage. That's not a talent, that's just sad and pathetic. Mark Madden is an embarrassment to Pittsburgh, and that actually does take talent. The world is a dumber place for his voice being constantly amplified and validated.

And Mark Madden would probably be giddy reading about how much he annoys me because his troll persona clearly isn't an act.

Last edited:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Disagree. My wife wants to blow her brain out when I have the fan on. She doesn't give 2 shits about sports other than to placate me. She doesn't mind listening to madden and often time finds it funny. That's talent.

Clay Travis, Mark Madden, and Skip Bayless are all different shades of the same person. At one point they had talent but didn't feel they were getting enough attention so they began pandering to the lowest people they could instead of using their talent. Then they got famous. And media in general is worse off for it.

It's exceedingly easy to look at what's popular and say "This actually sucks" and provide no insight as to why. It's incredibly easy to just attack everyone who calls you. It's obscenely easy to just be a terrible person and make that your persona. It's why that's what most of political talk, on either side, is these days.

Last edited:

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019

How can normal Humans listen to Flounder McHeart Attack at all with that voice for silent movies he has

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
When I listen to him I don't listen to get the straight news, I listen to get reactions and an opinion on what's happening. It's entertainment and usually incisive. You can call it a lot of things, calling it "not talented" is weird and I don't see why people need to spend time ragging on someone else's success. Mark Madden hasn't made it any harder for you or anyone else to do their job, kind of a ridiculous statement. Focus on you. If you don't like it, don't tune in.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
When I listen to him I don't listen to get the straight news, I listen to get reactions and an opinion on what's happening. It's entertainment and usually incisive. You can call it a lot of things, calling it "not talented" is weird and I don't see why people need to spend time ragging on someone else's success. Mark Madden hasn't made it any harder for you or anyone else to do their job, kind of a ridiculous statement. Focus on you. If you don't like it, don't tune in.
Hi Mark remember to lay off the Double Cheeseburgers

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad