OT: Pittsburgh hockey roadtrip

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Hi Gang,

Every year me and some friends pick an NHL city that's within driving distance (we live in Toronto) and make a weekend of seeing a game and partying it up. We've done Columbus and Detroit, and next on our list is Pittsburgh.

We've chosen the weekend on Mar.22nd vs. Tampa Bay, as it's an afternoon game.

One of the things we like about Columbus was the ticket prices. We got to sit in the 8th row for about $60 US off scalpers (The same seats in Toronto would have cost us in the CDN $300 range).

Anyway, I have 2 questions I'm hoping you can help with.

1) What are ticket prices like in Pittsburgh? I anticipate they won't be as cheap as Columbus but if we're looking to spend in $60-100 range is this viable?

2)What are some good places/areas where we can lay back and have a few beers. We're 29-30 years old, we'd be looking for places/areas where the crowd in in their 20's. Preferably, pubs/sports bars. Is their some sort of student district?

Thanks for your help.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
When I went to Pittsburgh back in October I was able to buy tickets in I think section 212 (Top Tier - good view) for around $75.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I've been staying at the Hampton near The Strip when I come. Its nice and quiet with free parking and breakfast.

The south side is a good place to go bar hopping and if you're single its even better. Plus there are some pretty good places to eat like Fat Heads and Gandy Dancer.

Also check out Hofbräuhaus, my new favorite, and South Side Works.

Has the Penguins Pond been set up this year?

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Thanks guys, keep the responses coming.

I can see on ticketmaster there are some (not many) single seats available in the $80-89 range. They're high up, but we don't really care. That'll get us in the arena and we can sit together after or rotate every period as there's 3 of us. Pairs in the same section on stubhub are going for $150.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I'm in pittsburgh right now for the game tmrw and staying at the cambria suites at consol and it's a great place to stay, but a bit pricey. Last time I came I stayed at the Sheraton station square and I got a nice, good sized room for like $90 american a night. Decently close to a lot of good stuff. Got 2nd row upper bowl for 90, which were nice seats. This time we got on the glass behind where the pens shoot twice, not so easy on the wallet.

As an aside, I'm playing pick up at the rink on alpha drive at either 930 or 1230, any one know if it's good?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've been staying at the Hampton near The Strip when I come. Its nice and quiet with free parking and breakfast.

The south side is a good place to go bar hopping and if you're single its even better. Plus there are some pretty good places to eat like Fat Heads and Gandy Dancer.

Also check out Hofbräuhaus, my new favorite, and South Side Works.

Has the Penguins Pond been set up this year?

Oh man, I think the reopened Penn Brewery has a lot better beer with a lot better food and without the obnoxious crowds. If you haven't been, should check it out. And I think the Pond is closed now.

But $75 on the ticket exchange can get you decent seats. I have a couple season ticket holder friends that have been pretty desperate to sell their tickets lately... but the demand might change back to normal due to the lack of hockey coming up.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Oh man, I think the reopened Penn Brewery has a lot better beer with a lot better food and without the obnoxious crowds. If you haven't been, should check it out. And I think the Pond is closed now.

But $75 on the ticket exchange can get you decent seats. I have a couple season ticket holder friends that have been pretty desperate to sell their tickets lately... but the demand might change back to normal due to the lack of hockey coming up.
Thanks man. I just got tickets for the Rangers game on FRI so I'll be going to Penn Brewery. I can't stand football and East Rutherford is one town over from me so I can't wait!!!

That news about the Pens pond sucks... how about that rink at the PPG?

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Thanks Guys,

I saw 3 singles left in section 229 for the game vs. St-Louis. I snapped them up, they were US$80.00 each. They're singles so they're not together but there's bound to be 3 empty seats together somewhere in the upper-deck we can venture to.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks Guys,

I saw 3 singles left in section 229 for the game vs. St-Louis. I snapped them up, they were US$80.00 each. They're singles so they're not together but there's bound to be 3 empty seats together somewhere in the upper-deck we can venture to.

The Pens sell out every game. I doubt you will find 3 empty seats together in the upper bowl. Good luck though!

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
The Pens sell out every game. I doubt you will find 3 empty seats together in the upper bowl. Good luck though!

I get that, but my hope is that even though it's a sell-out on paper, not everyone shows up and scalpers buy tickets they can't sell....They play the day before to so i'm thinking that will be the busier game of the 2... who knows...either way it'll be a good time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I get that, but my hope is that even though it's a sell-out on paper, not everyone shows up and scalpers buy tickets they can't sell....They play the day before to so i'm thinking that will be the busier game of the 2... who knows...either way it'll be a good time.

That's possible for sure. My experience going to Consol is that more scalpers are looking for tickets than selling them (although I don't buy tickets through scalpers). I would think the lower bowl would have more no shows (suits crowd) than the upper bowl.

I hope you find the seats together.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Craigslist has good seats, but you need to meet to pick the tickets up, and there normally day of game when someone wont make the game when they post it on there, but i have gotten some smokin deals on tickets. Also try Ebay.

As for places to go, I've lived in this city for all 38 years of my adult life and never go into the city much.Then again I dont drink. Most people of that age group go to the south side, its gone down hill over the years and to me is very trashy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad