Proposal: Pittsburgh-Edmonton

goldy2266

May 14, 2010
I assume this has been beaten to death but I have to ask if this would be fair value wise (I know there are no movement clauses to take into account).

To Edm:
Letang
Sherry
2019 1st

To Pitts:
Klefbom
Lucic
Puljujarvi

My take is:
Letang > Klefbom
Sheery & 1st < Lucic & Puljujrvi

This adds a power play quarterback to Edmonton’s back end and adds speed to the wing (40-50 point top end). Letangs contract and injuries are a negative on him..... I know!! Sheery is a diminutive speedy forward who can excel with talented line mates..... The first is a first.

For Pitts they add a tremendous young player that could develop into a very good power forward one day, they also get a defencemen that is a slight downgrade to Letang but is very much a top four guy..... Pitts also takes on Lucic (LW is weak in Pitts anyway) to make salaries work..... yes Lucic is slow and overpaid..... but no trade is perfect!!

No retention on any players..... I’m not great with salaries but I would assume they are close....

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Although moving Lucic helps our salary cap situation a lot Edmonton is giving up a good contract in Klefbom and a Poolparty who is on his ELC. Edmonton doesn't need picks... they need NHL ready players.

Letang is a very skilled offensive d-man. No question he helps out.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Don't like it. Isn't Puljujärvi a RWer? Pens already have Kessel, Hornqvist, Rust and Sprong. Lucic would be completely useless here, he woudn't unseat Hornqvist on the PP and I don't see him as a good fit for either Sid or Geno.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1. Letang won't waive for Edmonton
2. Lucic's contract is atrocious
3. The Penguins won't trade Letang
4. The Oilers aren't going to shake up their team that much for a question mark on defense, a depth winger and a late 1st rounder

So a failure all around it seems like. The only part of the deal that makes sense to me is Sheary going to Edmonton tbh, but that would probably be for a depth defenseman, not as a minor piece in a Letang for Klefbom trade.

goldy2266

May 14, 2010
I think I see your logic but that’s a lot to give up to get rid of looch

I did try and take into account team needs..... I do agree that if Lucic wasn’t in there it’d be heavily lopsided in Pitts favour!!

For years I have read your posts Chaotic and have come to respect most of what you have to say!!

Thank you for your feed back!!

goldy2266

May 14, 2010
1. Letang won't waive for Edmonton
2. Lucic's contract is atrocious
3. The Penguins won't trade Letang
4. The Oilers aren't going to shake up their team that much for a question mark on defense, a depth winger and a late 1st rounder

So a failure all around it seems like. The only part of the deal that makes sense to me is Sheary going to Edmonton tbh, but that would probably be for a depth defenseman, not as a minor piece in a Letang for Klefbom trade.

I agree 100% with your first two points!!!

But I think Letang can be traded! And I think that the Edmonton GM is capable of almost anything!!

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
As an Oiler fans, as much as I would like to see Lucic gone, there is NO WAY this trades makes sense for Edmonton. Klefbom vs Letang is almost a wash. Not interested in dumping Puljujarvi for a mid first round pick. Nothing about this proposal makes the Oilers better, today or in 3 years.

Reactions: north49er

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But I think Letang can be traded! And I think that the Edmonton GM is capable of almost anything!!

There's a difference between "can be" and "won't be". Letang won't be traded. Not because he can't be traded, but because Rutherford will not want to move him.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Umm no thanks. Hard no to anything Lucic related. I do think Letang can be traded and I don’t see why he wouldn’t waive for EDM, they have a good team.

Klefbom + 2018 1st

For

Letang + Sprong

How does that look?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't think the Pens would be interested on taking on Lucic's contract at all. If they're trading Letang and getting someone who makes that much money, it needs to be a defenseman.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Klefbom is a hell of a player but it leaves Pitt pretty F'd on RD. And since they're taking on lucic they can't even try to add another RD either.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Umm no thanks. Hard no to anything Lucic related. I do think Letang can be traded and I don’t see why he wouldn’t waive for EDM, they have a good team.

Klefbom + 2018 1st

For

Letang + Sprong

How does that look?

No thanks to moving Sprong.

I'll go back to my Letang+Sheary for Klefbom, Benning, Slepyshev and 10th overall proposal.

Letang solves the #1 PMD problem and the RD problem, Sheary has proven - if nothing else - he can play with an elite talent (which gets scoffed at here, but not everyone can play with elite talent, it's not that easy, it's not a video game)...Pittsburgh gets a shot from the point that might get through with Klefbom, a capable top-4 d-man, a RHS d-man in Benning who doesn't move the needle much for me, but we need RHS d-men with Letang gone. Slepyshev, who we'll also under use (or not even get the chance to use) and let go back to the KHL...and the 10th allows us to actually get a d-man in the system that isn't neck-related (Lauzon's neck meat is broke...and then we signed a cough drop from Finland recently)...

I wouldn't part with Sprong in that package...even if the value isn't horrific...

If there's one thing the Penguins have largely been able to do better than most teams in the cap era, it's stay out of bad contracts...or quickly get out of them if they did...I don't see the organization having an appetite for Lucic (period) especially in the way that Edmonton would have to present him.

I mean, if we have quacks going around here saying that guys like Letang and Jordan Staal have "negative value" (heh) then I mean, where does that leave us with Lucic...? I mean, I know the first part of my sentence is wrong and foolish, but just for scale, I don't know where you can reasonably go.

You look at defensemen scoring per game over the last three years, it goes: Karlsson, Burns, Letang. And even if you don't want to give him credit for the 50 games he missed and just want to go raw totals, he's still 8th over that time...it's more than P.K. freakin' Subban...

I know, I get it, he has below average hockey sense and it's starting to show as his athletic traits aren't quite as pronounced with age. And he did have a bad season. I understand these things, I believe Letang has played over 20,000 shifts in the NHL, I've missed about 60 or 70 of them and those were back in his rookie season...I know this player. You gotta be real careful with how you handle this if your Pittsburgh...you just can't get yourself swindled out of 25 minutes of RD per night...I'm ok if you want to cash out now, I think Letang would waive for almost anywhere because he's a proud guy and he'll take it personally if we ever went to him, I really believe that...but let's not get itchy, sometimes you rush something like this and you end up being more clever by half...

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017

Klefbom + 2018 1st

For

Letang + Sprong

How does that look?
Ill pass. HARD pass. Letang is on the wrong side of 30 and has a bad contract. Klef is 24 and on a value deal. 10th OA will end up being way way way better than Sprong.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It wouldn't be the end of the world for Edmonton.
After this trade PC is put on training wheels to make sure he doesn't screw our cap situation over ever again.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
I gotta say it is not the worst idea, their is risk in Letang, their is the chance that Jesse is mind meltingly awesome from here on in. I would rather have something more tangible than the 2019 1st...but I don’t hate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad