Essex
200px-Logo_Edmonton_Oilers.svg.png
V
200px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png

Edmonton Oilers v Pittsburgh Penguins

PENGUINS (32-12-1) at OILERS (14-27-5)

TV: ROOT, TSN

Last 10: Pittsburgh 8-2-0; Edmonton 3-5-2

Season series: This is the second and final game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Edmonton Oilers. Pittsburgh beat Edmonton 3-2 on Oct. 15 at Consol Energy Center, with Sidney Crosby assisting on all three Penguins' goals. Pittsburgh dropped its last game in Edmonton 2-1 on Oct. 9, 2011, as Ales Hemsky scored in the second round of the shootout to give the Oilers the win.

Big story: These teams enter this game heading in very different directions. Despite a slew of injuries, the Penguins have won 12 of their past 14 games. The Oilers have managed to avoid injuries to any of their top players but have lost 11 of their past 14.

Team Scope:

Penguins: Pascal Dupuis' recent knee injury notwithstanding, Pittsburgh appears to be getting healthy. In the past two weeks, the Penguins have seen the return of center Evgeni Malkin and defensemen Kris Letang, Rob Scuderi and Brooks Orpik from injuries. Having those players back has done wonders for Pittsburgh's offense, which has scored 15 goals in the past three games. The defense is another story.

After allowing five goals in a 6-5 home win against the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday, Pittsburgh came into Rogers Arena on Tuesday night and had trouble stopping the Vancouver Canucks. The Penguins jumped to a 2-0 lead before allowing four unanswered goals. But Letang and Sidney Crosby scored in the final 71 seconds of regulation before Crosby scored the lone goal in the shootout to give the Penguins a 5-4 win.

"They did it to us, so it was nice we did it back," goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury said. "When your team does something like that, you just want to help out, and I got my chance in the shootout."

Backup goaltender Jeff Zatkoff was the first player out for practice Thursday, which could mean he'll start against the Oilers.

Oilers: Three wins in four games at the end of December gave a glimmer of hope to Edmonton. But the Oilers have gone 1-3-2 since then, including a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday.

Coach Dallas Eakins did some experimenting at practice on Thursday, moving center Sam Gagner to the wing on a line with Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Eakins told the media after practice that the move is intended to "jumpstart" Gagner, who has 17 points in 33 games. Gagner said he already feels like it’s working.

“I feel jumpstarted. I feel like I’m playing well," he said. "I just want to keep going. I think when you’re playing with Nuge and Hallsy, they’re great players and I’m just excited to get a chance to play with them so I could have a good night tomorrow.”

Defenseman Brad Hunt was assigned to Oklahoma City of the American Hockey League on Thursday, potentially opening the door for Corey Potter to return from injury.

Edmonton Oilers
Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Sam Gagner
Nail Yakupov - Mark Arcobello - Jordan Eberle
David Perron - Boyd Gordon - Ales Hemsky
Luke Gazdic - Ryan Smyth - Ryan Jones

Andrew Ference - Justin Schultz
Martin Marincin -Jeff Petry
Nick Schultz - Anton Belov

Pittsburgh Penguins
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby (C) - Brian Gibbons
Jussi Jokinen - Evgeni Malkin (A) - James Neal
Tanner Glass - Brandon Sutter - Taylor Pyatt
Craig Adams - Joe Vitale - Deryk Engelland

Brooks Orpik (A) - Robert Bortuzzo
Rob Scuderi - Kris Letang
Oli Maatta - Matt Niskanen

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Leaders[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

Crosby 24|GOALS| Perron 17
Crosby 41|ASSISTS|Hall 25
Crosby 65|POINTS| Hall 41
Kunitz + 23|PLUS MINUS| Marincin +2
Engelland 40|PIM|Gazdic 78​

i
V
i

2.52 GAA - 7-2-0 & .910% V 3.31 GAA - 10-16-2 & .895

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I feel just so awful for Sutter. AWFUL line.

Indeed it is. But imagine when guys are healthy and it's Bennett--Sutter--Megna, which would be an amazing line (or even Gibbons the wing if one moves up to play with Sid and Kunitz). In other words, it is a crappy line, but purely a function of our injuries, so it's hard to really expect anything better under the circumstances with BB, Megna and Dupers all out.

penguins2946*

Sid please get like 5 points to get an even bigger lead in the points race.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Indeed it is. But imagine when guys are healthy and it's Bennett--Sutter--Megna, which would be an amazing line (or even Gibbons the wing if one moves up to play with Sid and Kunitz). In other words, it is a crappy line, but purely a function of our injuries, so it's hard to really expect anything better under the circumstances with BB, Megna and Dupers all out.

Tell that to people that think Sutter is the coming of the anti-christ.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I feel just so awful for Sutter. AWFUL line.
Poor Sutter is playing with all of our biggest scrubs.. Zolnierczyk, Conner, Ebbett, Kobasew, Adams, D´Agostini, Jeffrey, Vitale.. all were already there. Now it´s an all-time low with Pyatt & Glass for him. Seriously, Sutter should be immune to every kind of criticism just because it´s impossible to create a thing for a human on the crappy line like this. Just surviving the game without surrendering a goal against is a great achievement for him on that line. Even that is not easy at all.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Eakins expressed dismay over the fact that some of his players expressed an increased amount of excitement to play against Crosby and an elite team such as the Penguins. He wants them to be equally revved up for all teams. But Eakins did grasp the magnitude of perhaps knocking off a club as good as the Penguins. "Sidney Crosby brings a lot of buzz. He is who he is. To hang in there against a team like this and beat them would be a nice step forward," Eakins said. "Tonight's a great opportunity for some of our players to watch and look at how Sidney Crosby plays the game."

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com...014/01/10/Penguins-Oilers-Jan-10-preview.html

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sid please get like 5 points to get an even bigger lead in the points race.

1.) Crosby 70 points
2.) Kane 54 points
3.) Tavares 54 points

I'd like the look of a 16 point lead! Crosby reaches 70 before anyone reaches 60 points. Maybe Crosby can reach 80 before anyone hits 60.:naughty:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Imagine if Malkin was healthy and they both had 70 points? it's just too bad we don't have Crosbys Neal, we would be up there with Hawks in goals by now (22 more goals then us).

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think this will be a wild one. 6-5 or 7-4 or something. Hopefully we pull it out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks to Sportsnet West blacking out games for those of us in Ontario, I will not be able to watch tonight. Which is good news for the Pens since the only games they actually score goals in are the ones I miss.

I swear, Sid's on a 200 point pace in the games I can only boxscore watch, while he'd be lucky to score 50 points based on the games I've been able to watch on TV.

MFSorcerer*

Just drove in to Edmonton from Saskatoon 5.5 hours away. Can't wait for game time! Let's go Penguins!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Haven't made any plans about if I'll be up for this or not but I'll go to sleep at 12:30GMT ish and if I wake up in time I'll watch it.

If not then I'll watch it on replay tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad