Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh @ Chicago in Soldier Field|1/3/14| Outdoor series

rmer1

Nov 20, 2013
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I did not want to start a new one. I am thinking of getting tickets for my girlfriend for Christmas and make the trip from Denver for the game. I can't seem to find out when tickets go on sale anywhere. Would anyone happen to know? Thanks

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I heard on the radio tickets will be going on sale soon here in Chicago (I would guess December 1), but I don't remember the date they mentioned. Sorry.

RipoffMaster indicates the tickets are not yet on sale, but StubHub seems to have some sort of pricing and seating system already in place. I doubt that StubHub would be selling before the RipoffMasters, but who knows. It might be that you can enter an auction / lottery to be first in line for whatever tickets StubHub gets from the NHL?

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
I bought tickets at center ice in the upper tier for $140 a piece for the game in Chicago, got them early being a STH. Having said that, my plan all along has been to sell them for an exorbitant amount of money. I went to the Classic here and I still wish I could get my money back for that game. An OK one time experience, but you can't see the puck at all and the atmosphere kind of sucked. I'll profit off all the people who haven't learned that lesson yet. IDK if that was b/c of the mass exodus of Caps fans, but I didn't have a good time based on the amount of money I spent.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I bought tickets at center ice in the upper tier for $140 a piece for the game in Chicago, got them early being a STH. Having said that, my plan all along has been to sell them for an exorbitant amount of money. I went to the Classic here and I still wish I could get my money back for that game. An OK one time experience, but you can't see the puck at all and the atmosphere kind of sucked. I'll profit off all the people who haven't learned that lesson yet. IDK if that was b/c of the mass exodus of Caps fans, but I didn't have a good time based on the amount of money I spent.

Smart move. It's fun to watch on TV in the comfort of my own home. :nod:

The weather is likely going to be too warm - average highs on March 1 is just over 40 from what I've been able to find on line. Not a good situation if you want good ice.

They should have put all of their ad money into 1 Winter Classic and the Olympics for this year. Save anything beyond that for the off years.

rmer1

Nov 20, 2013

I've heard that a lot, not being worth it. Would you guys suggest getting tickets to a game in Pittsburgh over going to Chicago for the stadium series? My girlfriend is a diehard Pens fan, even though she has never been to Pittsburgh, maybe experiencing the city would be awesome. I have been complimenting the Rangers-Pens game or the stadium series in Chicago. I was thinking either could be cool. Any recommendations??

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Smart move. It's fun to watch on TV in the comfort of my own home. :nod:

The weather is likely going to be too warm - average highs on March 1 is just over 40 from what I've been able to find on line. Not a good situation if you want good ice.

They should have put all of their ad money into 1 Winter Classic and the Olympics for this year. Save anything beyond that for the off years.

The NHL doesn't make money on the Olympics. Why would they put ad money into it? Unless you mean NBC. Either way, the NHL is going to make a boatload off these games. People still want to go.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've heard that a lot, not being worth it. Would you guys suggest getting tickets to a game in Pittsburgh over going to Chicago for the stadium series? My girlfriend is a diehard Pens fan, even though she has never been to Pittsburgh, maybe experiencing the city would be awesome. I have been complimenting the Rangers-Pens game or the stadium series in Chicago. I was thinking either could be cool. Any recommendations??

I've never been to an outdoor game so I can't comment on that. But if you actually want to experience a hockey game and not a spectable with a game, go to a regular game in Pittsburgh. Or, why not just wait until April and go to the Pens Avalanche game in Denver?

rmer1

Nov 20, 2013
I've never been to an outdoor game so I can't comment on that. But if you actually want to experience a hockey game and not a spectable with a game, go to a regular game in Pittsburgh. Or, why not just wait until April and go to the Pens Avalanche game in Denver?

We go everytime the Pens are out here playing the Avs. Was just thinking it would be awesome to experience something new and different. I know she would love to experience Pittsburgh. I may go that route, especially as it will be much less expensive.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
The NHL doesn't make money on the Olympics. Why would they put ad money into it? Unless you mean NBC. Either way, the NHL is going to make a boatload off these games. People still want to go.

They should be trying to sell their product (the players) - the Olympic tournament is a great place for people to get to know these players.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They should be trying to sell their product (the players) - the Olympic tournament is a great place for people to get to know these players.

The NHL should pay zero dollars to advertise the Olympics. Let NBC pump advertising dollars into it. It serves the same positive effect you are claiming for free.

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh

Chicago is an awesome city having visited there several times, but if you're wanting to see Penguins in their natural habitat (see what I did there), I'd recommend going to a game here in Pittsburgh. CEC is a very nice arena and there is plenty to keep you guys busy for a weekend. Check out the nightlife thread for bar and restaurant ideas. It'll probably end up being a tick cheaper than Chicago as well, even though I'd think the flight would be a bit more.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Speaking of this game, it's an 8pm game on NBC. Yes, NBC not NBCSN. Pretty big deal.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

I can't speak to games in Pittsburgh and the night life there, but Chicago is a step above for great food (not the crap you see on the food channels -- I'm talking about real restaurants) and fans of jazz and blues, plays, museums, etc.

The date for this game was forced by the Olympics. March 1... you're more likely to get cold and rain than freezing and clear, although the latter are possible all the way up to April 1st roughly. That said, if the weather does suck and the game is cut short or whatever, there is plenty to do indoors by day and night. You'll need to have some cash ready for pricey cab fairs or parking (if you're renting a car), but it's a great town (New York sucks -- especially their pizza, deep dish or thin crust). ;)

PM me if you decide to get tickets and I'll hook you up with some good restaurants you can go to during your stay, and maybe a jazz club or something if you're into that scene.

Fire Shero*

People love to complain about everything, and that is coming from me who is extremely pessimistic. We get it the NHL is just doing this for money. If it bothers you don't watch or don't go to chicago. I will be there in Chicago in march.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The NBA has Christmas Day locked down. I doubt the NHL wants to compete directly with that. Also Bettman might still have some loyalty to the NBA and wouldn't want to step on their toes. Regardless of conspiracy theories that Stern sent him specifically to tank the NHL.

I do agree that a March 1 date is a gamble. Weren't chunks of the Midwest and Northeast in the 80s earlier this March? I think there was a stretch where it was actually cooler here in Arizona.

I am pretty sure that NBA and NHL fans are not one in the same ;). It is virtually impossible for one to steal fans from the other.

rmer1

Nov 20, 2013
So I called the Pens ticket line and apparently they have selling tickets for awhile. I picked up two tickets. Decided on the Chicago game as flight/hotel were about twice as expensive in Pittsburgh. So excited though! Should be a great time.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I don't have tickets but me and a couple buddies of mine plan on driving down and catching the game at a bar near the stadium, pretty excited and hopefully by then we will actually have a healthy team on the ice :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad