Confirmed with Link: Pittsburgh @ Chicago in Soldier Field|1/3/14| Outdoor series

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
whatever.. a now diluted publicity stunt..

The Winter Classic already lost its novelty before the Stadium Series rumors came out. The NHL is just cashing out now. Can't say I blame them. Fans will ***** about it, but they'll still spend their money on it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Winter Classic already lost its novelty before the Stadium Series rumors came out. The NHL is just cashing out now. Can't say I blame them. Fans will ***** about it, but they'll still spend their money on it.

I'd go see it (and may if I'm in the States then). Chicago is always a great town to see a game in, and outdoor games have good atmosphere.

There's always something diluting the purity of the game. Helmets. Visors. The instigator rule. Two line passing.

In the grand scheme of things, getting more people to watch the sport is a good thing.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
This is just a bit different and kind of interesting. I'm amazed at how negative the reactions have been towards something that will generate revenue, and hopefully more fans, for the NHL.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is just a bit different and kind of interesting. I'm amazed at how negative the reactions have been towards something that will generate revenue, and hopefully more fans, for the NHL.

Fans here are the purity trolls of hockey. I mean, who else cares about prospects and CBA minutia outside of HF? :laugh:

People are gonna be mad no matter what the league does to expand its base. Hell, people are STILL mad in some circles that the NHL expanded in '67. :laugh:

Fire Shero*

I don't understand all the *****ing. It will be a fun game to watch in person. People just like to complain.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The NHL really needs to stop this crap. 1 game a year is more than enough(winter classic) Even that should stop, it's terrible hockey anyways

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I've said before and I'll say it again.

After the overhyped rain-soaked mess that was the 2011 Winter Classic between the Pens and Caps, I had hoped the Penguins would never play in an outdoor game ever again.

So what'll be the plan??? Sit Crosby, Geno, Flower, Tangers (if we still have him), Neal, etc.? Because knowing our luck you just know one of our stars will be hurt at this slushfest.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think it's weird to complain about the "quality of play" at the outdoor games. It's not the point.
Then why don't they just wear roller blades and play in the summer. Its bad hockey, gimmicky and will quickly wear out its welcome.

The big point to me is that the NHL can't do its job and it takes an outside game to garner interest in the NHL. That's down right pathetic.

When is the last time we've seen Sid, AO, Malkin, Patrick Kane or Parise outside of NHL Network or the odd commercial when a games on? You don't because the NHL is run like a lemonade stand.

Also what does all these outside games mean for the Olympics?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Then why don't they just wear roller blades and play in the summer. Its bad hockey, gimmicky and will quickly wear out its welcome.

The big point to me is that the NHL can't do its job and it takes an outside game to garner interest in the NHL. That's down right pathetic.

When is the last time we've seen Sid, AO, Malkin, Patrick Kane or Parise outside of NHL Network or the odd commercial when a games on? You don't because the NHL is run like a lemonade stand.

Also what does all these outside games mean for the Olympics?
If it were an empty novelty destined to wear off quickly, that would have already happened. They're adding games because they know it's a marketing success.

And yeah, the gimmick and spectacle is the point, but why is that inherently bad? The level of play (which is a nebulous concept anyway) might not be the highest, but are the games not exciting? Are you not entertained?

Also if the NHL put on a roller game I would absolutely watch it. Remember Pro Beach Hockey or whatever it was on ESPN 2 in the late '90s? I loved that ****. I've already said I hope the potential Anaheim-LA game is roller hockey.

And I really don't care about the NHL's marketing effectiveness and brand building. Who cares? Really? All I want is to be amused and excited by hockey because it's a beautiful game under almost every circumstance. The NHL does that for me and that's all I expect. The ability of billionaires to make themselves more money and the authenticity or intelligence of their methods does not concern me one bit.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Also I really hope anyone who complains about the NHL not building its brand effectively NEVER complains about there being teams in Miami or Phoenix etc. And I also hope you're pissed that they lost the Atlanta market.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. :laugh: Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. :laugh: Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).

We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

The NBA has Christmas Day locked down. I doubt the NHL wants to compete directly with that. Also Bettman might still have some loyalty to the NBA and wouldn't want to step on their toes. Regardless of conspiracy theories that Stern sent him specifically to tank the NHL.

I do agree that a March 1 date is a gamble. Weren't chunks of the Midwest and Northeast in the 80s earlier this March? I think there was a stretch where it was actually cooler here in Arizona.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
would be interested in this, but by the time I book a flight for 2 ($670), get a hotel ($350) and hopefully tickets at face value ($350+) it's just too much ****ing money for me to fly out from NJ for this. Just priced the flight and hotel and that's not bad, but man, not worth it. It's just a regular season game outside.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
would be interested in this, but by the time I book a flight for 2 ($670), get a hotel ($350) and hopefully tickets at face value ($350+) it's just too much ****ing money for me to fly out from NJ for this. Just priced the flight and hotel and that's not bad, but man, not worth it. It's just a regular season game outside.

I am going to try and get tickets to the LA game. I love the idea of the 2 games in NY during Super Bowl week too, should be great.

seabs926

Jun 14, 2009

My guess is they don't want to be overshadowed by the Olympics, at all. Coverage of the games will pick up probably a few days before the opening ceremonies and continue for a few days after. That doesn't leave a lot of time in February.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Let's face it, we're all going to be looking forward to this once it happens. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago is a marquee match up that seemingly deserves a big venue.

That said, I do feel like this franchise is a little Winter Classic'd out.

Lastly, this has to be the year where they do the 1992 Pens jersey as this was the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Also I really hope anyone who complains about the NHL not building its brand effectively NEVER complains about there being teams in Miami or Phoenix etc. And I also hope you're pissed that they lost the Atlanta market.
Why? Trying to build up hockey interest in those locations is one thing but not when the league has the backbone of a cripple. Look whats happened since expanding into those areas.... lockouts and insane ticket prices. IMO they should have built up the west coast before going to the south or at least round out a trial team by going into two stronger hockey markets too. Its just another case of the NHL thinking they're bigger than they are.

I am pissed that the NHL didn't work in Atl... again. The thing is I blame the NHL and not the city.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

WFM.

My guess is they don't want to be overshadowed by the Olympics, at all. Coverage of the games will pick up probably a few days before the opening ceremonies and continue for a few days after. That doesn't leave a lot of time in February.

THAT's what it is. I thought the Olympics ended around the 17th or 18th but it's later than that this year for some reason. Otherwise would've left plenty of time. Even going 7 or 8 days earlier could make a big difference around here.

That said it could be 15 degrees and snow on March 1st too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad