Value of: Pittsburgh’s 1st round pick (owned by Ottawa)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What could Ottawa get for Pittsburgh’s first rounder in this year’s draft? It will be late in the first round anywhere from around 22-31, depending on how far Pittsburgh goes in the playoffs.

Ottawa’s needs are a top 4 (left side preferred, but maybe RD if Karlsson gets moved)
A top six forward any position
A good third line winger at LW or RW

Also possible they’d be willing to move back a few spots to get an extra pick considering they don’t have a 2nd or 3rd in this year’s draft, but that would be done on the draft floor.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Is it enough to entice a team to take on Bobby Ryan's contract with no retention? (assuming he doesn't go with karlsson)?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Is it enough to entice a team to take on Bobby Ryan's contract with no retention? (assuming he doesn't go with karlsson)?

Maybe from the Avs. We have so much cap space and need a big winner. Getting another first round pick would be great to keep feeding the pipeline, thats how great teams are built

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Interesting to say the least. What DeKeyser is making now is slightly higher than what I'd expect Dorian to give Ceci this summer as an RFA. I like Anthansiou quite a bit. I think I'd do that deal.

Don’t know much about DeKeyser, but he’s making 5 million for 4 more years, so I’m not sure how interested I’d be.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't know about addressing the needs laid out by the OP, but the Isles have 2 2nds. Depending on how late the 1st is, would 41 + 43 be of interest?

To be honest say if the pick is 28-31, I rather just take my chances with the 2 picks. My best bet for the Islanders is draft a forward with the 10th pick and defense with 12th, 41st and 43rd.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Would you do Myers/Petan/2018 2nd for Pitts 1st and Formenton?

why would a rebuilding team trade a first rounder and one of their best prospects for a one year rental, a worse prospect and a pick 30 positions lower?

that being said that's bad value for Myers who could get a first on his own so I'd do it based purely on trade capital

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
why would a rebuilding team trade a first rounder and one of their best prospects for a one year rental, a worse prospect and a pick 30 positions lower?

that being said that's bad value for Myers who could get a first on his own so I'd do it based purely on trade capital

Charity. Duh.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

Not entirely sure they are in full rebuild. They have great core pieces, Duchene, Stone, Chabot, Hoff, Ceci, White, Pageau. Myers fills in on the right side if Karlsson leaves (jesus, imagine the return) and Petan, while buried under the depth that is the Jets is a dynamic player who can bring playmaking and speed. He really is good and just hasn’t been given a chance. My theory was Myers=1st and Petan/2nd=Formenton. Could add any one of Dano/Harkins/Stanley to balance out

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
I think the Canucks will be listening on some of Goldobin, Granlund, Hutton and Baertschi

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
DeKeyser
Anthansiou

For

Pittsburgh 2018 1st
Ceci

I don't think that's a smart deal to make for Ottawa.

Athanasiou is severely overrated (not by you, but by a lot of non-Detroit fans on HF). Most people see the speed and the breakaway goals but aside from that the guy is basically a fast 3rd liner that dissapears way too often. Not only that but the guy is due for a contract this summer.

Also making a Ceci/Dekeyser swap doesn't really work for Ottawa since the only RD we have right now are Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman. Karlsson is likely traded, Wideman was injured all season and is a bottom pairing guy so that leaves us with Ceci. Trading him will not happen. Especially that we have nothing coming up on the right side other than Jaros.

I think the value isn't far off but the fit isn't there.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

are they realy rebuilding, im pretty sure that pick is in play, it needs to be to upgrade the team, Imagine ottawa protects this years draft pick and end up last next year.

They paid an expensive price for Duchene and it was a REALY big gamble, you never trade your first before making the playoffs or being realy close to, this could be a disaster and considering they are probably losing karlsson, it needs to be a Hockey trade to make them relevant next year.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
are they realy rebuilding, im pretty sure that pick is in play, it needs to be to upgrade the team, Imagine ottawa protects this years draft pick and end up last next year.

They paid an expensive price for Duchene and it was a REALY big gamble, you never trade your first before making the playoffs or being realy close to, this could be a disaster and considering they are probably losing karlsson, it needs to be a Hockey trade to make them relevant next year.

Still doubt they lose Karlsson, and if they do the return will probably be very good. But yeah I agree, I could definitely see them moving the pick. Either to move up a couple spots if they're at 5OA (doubtful), or to get someone like Domi or something depending on how late the pick is. Or Grubauer if it's 28-31OA. But it should be used to upgrade the team.

Either way, unless they lose Karlsson and get no one NHL ready in the return (doubtful), I don't think they'll be nearly as bad next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad