Pitt has 3 lottery balls??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
chris_dub said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7314

Now I know they had a 1st OVR choice in the last 4 years to select Fleury. But does it not count against their number of lottery balls because they traded for the pick? Although they didn't technically "earn" the 1st overall pick, they still traded for & used it.

the way it's been reported: a team is penalized one ball for winning the draft lottery. therefore florida lost a ball for winning the 2003 1st overall selection even though pittsburgh ended up making the pick.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
chris_dub said:

Now I know they had a 1st OVR choice in the last 4 years to select Fleury. But does it not count against their number of lottery balls because they traded for the pick? Although they didn't technically "earn" the 1st overall pick, they still traded for & used it.

Columbus is in the same scenario. Both have made a first overall pick, and Florida gets the Joan Collins special, even though they've never selected someone first overall, they have just one lottery ball. What do they have to show for it: Stefan Meyer, Daniel Carcillo, a year of Mikael Samuelsson, and I may be wrong about this one, but a DP(can't remember what round) to make sure Atlanta didn't pick J-Bo(again, not sure if that actually happened). Still, though, other than having a lesser chance at Crosby, they did very well. Getting Stefan Meyer for pretty much nothing is pretty good(although they could've got more from C-Bus).

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Columbus is in the same scenario. Both have made a first overall pick, and Florida gets the Joan Collins special, even though they've never selected someone first overall, they have just one lottery ball. What do they have to show for it: Stefan Meyer, Daniel Carcillo, a year of Mikael Samuelsson, and I may be wrong about this one, but a DP(can't remember what round) to make sure Atlanta didn't pick J-Bo(again, not sure if that actually happened). Still, though, other than having a lesser chance at Crosby, they did very well. Getting Stefan Meyer for pretty much nothing is pretty good(although they could've got more from C-Bus).

Actually I'm pretty sure Florida gave Atlanta 2 2nd rounders to not pick Bouwmeester.

More brilliant moves by the genius Rick Dudley! :biglaugh:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Actually I'm pretty sure Florida gave Atlanta 2 2nd rounders to not pick Bouwmeester.

2 second rounders? Hot damn. So, they pretty much gave a second rounder for Carcillo, Samuellson, and two less lottery balls in the best draft in a long time.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Epsilon said:

it was a 2002 2nd round pick and a 2003 4th round pick.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
What's funny is that during the run-up to the 2003 draft, I remember one of the Florida uber-homers (although I don't specifically remember who) talking about how the #1 pick was the most valuable one since Thornton in 1997, and predicting that to flip picks then Pens would have to give up Whitney and more. Then the draft comes around and all it cost was a 3rd round pick and a mediocre player like Samuelsson.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Somehow they will pull through and win it again now, just cause we're all making fun of the old moves.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Epsilon said:
What's funny is that during the run-up to the 2003 draft, I remember one of the Florida uber-homers (although I don't specifically remember who) talking about how the #1 pick was the most valuable one since Thornton in 1997, and predicting that to flip picks then Pens would have to give up Whitney and more. Then the draft comes around and all it cost was a 3rd round pick and a mediocre player like Samuelsson.

Yeah, I remember that. People were laughing at the idea that Morozov would be enough for the Pens to move up.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
chris_dub said:

Not only that, but Pittsburgh had the second overall pick last year, Malkin. By the looks of things, he's not a bad consolation prize, and they STILL get 3 balls. Oh wait, somebody just told me that life isn't fair...

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
octopi said:
Not only that, but Pittsburgh had the second overall pick last year, Malkin. By the looks of things, he's not a bad consolation prize, and they STILL get 3 balls. Oh wait, somebody just told me that life isn't fair...
Damn right it isn't.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Til the End of Time said:
Yeah, I remember that. People were laughing at the idea that Morozov would be enough for the Pens to move up.

Yeah. When they announced the trade I didn't jump for joy, I didn't shout, I just laughed.

Mikael Samuelsson? He's terrible! :biglaugh:

For what the Panthers fans were expecting we jumped to get our guy...with a guy who had all of 2 points in 22 games playing with Mario Lemieux and a swap of picks(which ended up being Mayer for Florida, Carcillo for Pittsburgh).

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Another thing I remember Panthers fans laughing about was my suggestion that Joni Pitkanen was more valuable than the #1 overall pick in the 2003 draft. Somehow I think a lot of fans would rather have Pitkanen than most of the 2003 guys right now. Certainly I'd rather have potential franchise d-man Pitkanen over often-injured Nathan Horton.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Epsilon said:
Another thing I remember Panthers fans laughing about was my suggestion that Joni Pitkanen was more valuable than the #1 overall pick in the 2003 draft. Somehow I think a lot of fans would rather have Pitkanen than most of the 2003 guys right now. Certainly I'd rather have potential franchise d-man Pitkanen over often-injured Nathan Horton.

No doubt.

I'd put Pitkanen on the same level as Fleury and Staal for me personally, I'd probably rather have Pitkanen than either though, but I'm not going to complain about Fleury. Past that I'd take Pitkanen and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad