Confirmed Trade: [PIT/FLA] Colton Sceviour and Mike Matheson for Patric Hornqvist

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And as bad as Matheson was, he was still better than Johnson and Schultz.

Again, that's not a compliment to Matheson's performance as much as it is a condemnation of how truly awful that Pens' third pairing was.

Have anything to back that up? Because the play I saw from him in the playoffs was one of the worst displays of hockey I've seen in my 30 years of watching/playing hockey.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Have anything to back that up? Because the play I saw from him in the playoffs was one of the worst displays of hockey I've seen in my 30 years of watching/playing hockey.

It's harder to say because Matheson only played 2 games. But statistically Schultz/Johnson were actually worse. All of 3 of them were among the worst in the entire Playoffs depending on the metric.

5v5 statsGA/60CA/60HDCA/60
Matheson5.052.55.0
Schultz5.158.67.2
Johnson5.854.410.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The fact it was the least used pairing and still had the advanced worst stats and goals against? The Pens allowed 9 goals against at 5on5 the entire series, those two were on the ice for 5 of those 9 goals against, despite logging the least minutes of all the pairings.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I can't believe it was the Florida side that nixed the deal (if the insurance rumors are true). This trade is a GRAND SLAM for the Panthers already.

Insurance pays 80% of the salary if he goes on LTIR though no?
It's a valid concern imo.
I get Matheson's deal is horrid but if used in a more offensive role, he's an overpaid #4 D.
A Skjei type comparable, very similar 5 on 5 goals/points and very similar fancy stats/possession/defensive metrics.
Matheson has lower cap but longer term, Skjei has bigger cap but shorter term.

matheson - sjkei.PNG

He averages 8 goals and 25pts (over 82 game average) with no PP time, just need a good defensive babysitter, preferably a #3 RD.

Reactions: uncleben and NB613

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I get Matheson's deal is horrid but if used in a more offensive role, he's an overpaid #4 D.
A Skjei type comparable, very similar 5 on 5 goals/points and very similar fancy stats/possession/defensive metrics.

He averages 7-8 goals and 25pts with no PP time, just need a good defensive babysitter, preferably a #3 RD.
Matheson is WAY WORSE than Skjei.

WAY WORSE.

Skjei was traded for a 1st round pick a few months ago.

Reactions: lawrence

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Matheson is WAY WORSE than Skjei.

WAY WORSE.

Skjei was traded for a 1st round pick a few months ago.

Ya and that trade has yet to show it's worth, he played less than 10 games for CAR so far.
Both drafted 5 spots from each other in 2012.
Skjei had that really solid year in 16-17 with that fairly decent NYR roster (4th in offense, 13th in defense)
Impressive he got 39pts with 17:27 mins of TOI and 2nd PP unit time.
Nick Holden had 34pts that year, either has never touched that again before or after.

Skjei is more physical, less turnovers. Both block same amount of shots.
Matheson is better at takeaways and looks to have more DZ starts so worse GA/G.
Lots of their fancy stats are very close, did a good hour long look at it a couple weeks ago.

WAY worse is not correct. Skjei's numbers should improve on a more well balanced CAR defense, FLA is lacking any #2 or #3 D, Ekblad is the only true legit #1/top 4 D.
Weegar has shown flashes this year, should be able to continue it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

View attachment 368639

He averages 8 goals and 25pts (over 82 game average) with no PP time, just need a good defensive babysitter, preferably a #3 RD.
if you want insurance, buy it. what's the big deal?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

View attachment 368639

Matheson - Ceci pairing, got it.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Pit currently has 5 LDs and only 3 RDs. Getting another LD doesn’t make sense unless you are moving one. Get a cheap RD to compete with Ruhwedel for 3RD playing time. Shoot Jack Johnson into the sun. Then concentrate on getting a 3C or a 4C if you are convinced Bluegar is the 3C.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Matheson is the softest defenseman in the league. Surprised Pittsburgh are after him.

Sullivan doesn't allow his players to be physical and GMJR despises it. You'll hear stats about how much the Pens hit - it honestly surprises all of us. One of those straw poll scenarios where nobody knows where the data comes from.

In no particular order we look for guys that are severely undersized, have injury concerns (if not, don't worry we can train you up on that), or play soft. If you're physical - it's not an undesirable trait, we'll just restrain you from playing that way unless it becomes meaningless against Philly or Washington when that's all we'll ask of you.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

View attachment 368639

if you want insurance, buy it. what's the big deal?

Pretty sure insurance is determined before the signing is made, which is why the Clarkson/Horton deal happened as Horton was not insured.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pit currently has 5 LDs and only 3 RDs. Getting another LD doesn’t make sense unless you are moving one. Get a cheap RD to compete with Ruhwedel for 3RD playing time. Shoot Jack Johnson into the sun. Then concentrate on getting a 3C or a 4C if you are convinced Bluegar is the 3C.

When has 'making sense' ever gotten in Jim Rutherford's way? :laugh:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Pretty sure insurance is determined before the signing is made, which is why the Clarkson/Horton deal happened as Horton was not insured.

Yup, Friedman points that out in the update and Zito was in CBJ during that Horton debacle. Doubt he wants round 2 but at least it'd be 3 years and not 6.
Feel Horn can produce for 2 years, that 3rd year may get rough though

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well even if this particular move doesn't happen we now know that JR is open to making terrible trades somebody is going to steal Matt Murray

Reactions: Lustaf

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Theres more to it the that (re Horton). CBJ knew that he was going to miss significant time in yr 1 when they signed that contract and didnt want to get hit with the deductable so they intentionally didnt insure the contract with the plan of insuring it for yr2. Unfortunately he got hurt before they could insure him and then it was too late.

My point with this is that at one time not too long ago it was clearly possible to alter the insurance status mid contract, which if you think about it isnt really a surprise.

Reactions: violaswallet

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this would be a steal for Florida. Matheson is awful and that 4.875 x 6 is UGGGLLLLLY

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’m thinking this means Jack Johnson is either getting traded or bought out.

not bad plan...save $500,000 with this trade and then some more by getting rid of J.Johnson.

its a terrible plan lol. taking on a bottom pair dman signed for SIX more years at nearly 5 mil to save 500k?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad