Confirmed Trade: [PIT/FLA] Colton Sceviour and Mike Matheson for Patric Hornqvist

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah. That's a trash article based purely on the Weekes tweet. Until it's actually confirmed it remains a rumor, regardless of how likely it is.

On another note, how common is it for NHL regulars to have uninsured contracts?

NHL teams are (were?) only required to insure 7 contracts per team. As for Hornqvist having an uninsured contract, I guess that depends on a bunch of things (deductible, number of injuries, overall cost, etc). Remember the reason why Horton's contract wasn't insured in year 1 when he signed that contract with Columbus is that CBJ knew he was going to miss X amount of games and that was going to trigger his deductible (something like 100-400k) that they didn't want to pay. Their plan was to insure the contract the following summer... unfortunately by then it was too late. That was also ~2014 and things could have changed by then.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
whats JJ’s situation look like? Are they going to buy him out? Can’t imagine they can love him

Management seems to love him, for some reason. At least publicly there's numerous reports that Rutherford/Sullivan are a fan of his play.

So unless there's a taker offering actual value, I can't see him being bought out.

Reactions: SI90

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Schultz is horrible now. He's an offensive defenseman without any offensive ability at this point. And he's never been good defensively, so he's basically just a defensive liability with zero offense to balance things out.

Matheson is a better defenseman than Schultz at this point, but that's not really saying much because of how terrible Schultz has been since breaking his ankle/leg.
I wouldn't bet on that. His play during the "playoffs" was some of the worst I've ever seen. When you're a healthy scratch and need to be moved to forward on a team starved for good defenseman it's not a good sign.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If you squint at Matheson just right there is something in the underlying “micro stats” that paint a picture of a guy that can thrive in a new situation.

clearly this deal got out before anyone wanted it to so if it indeed goes through it miggt not merely be Horny for Matheson straight up. But thats just conjecture.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And the Penguins '20-'21 MVP goes to...

...Hornqvist's uninsured contract! Give it a round of applause, folks!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Management seems to love him, for some reason. At least publicly there's numerous reports that Rutherford/Sullivan are a fan of his play.

So unless there's a taker offering actual value, I can't see him being bought out.

He’s extremely close with Crosby too correct? This is a business so I don’t know if that means anything but if there was ever a player who had say in keeping a guy around it would be Crosby.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With it coming out that Hornqvist's contract is uninsured, I think the people saying Hornqvist has no value are right. I don't think there are any teams that would take on Hornqvist with knowing that his contract is uninsured, especially considering he misses time regularly. The only teams that can deal with that are loaded teams like Toronto, but they don't have the cap space to add Hornqvist.

I have no clue why JR didn't insure the contract when he signed it, but we're seeing the consequences of it now. Unless they can get the contract insured, I think this absolutely guarantees that Hornqvist plays out his contract in Pittsburgh.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Honestly, I was really intrigued with Matheson as an addition, so I'm not that crazy about the deal being off. Matheson seemed to bring a lot of skills to the Penguins that the team lacked.

Oh boy you dodged a bullet there.
He is certainly the worst defender in regards to cost benefit when it comes to contract length/money owed vs performance that I have seen recently that isn't a former star player that got signed based on past merits that is now in heavy decline aka Seabrook...
I think I easily take JJ and his shorter contract over him. Not sure who is actually worse on the ice when it comes to sheer performance. Probably pretty close.

I mean Q used him as a forward because he was so bad back there...
He also has a career high of 27 points so we are not talking about a 1 way offensive juggernaut here either...
He is just barely behind Bob when it comes to worst contracts on that Florida team IMO..

Really, really sucks for Panthers fans, though...
I think they really deserved a win and that certainly would have given them one. Not fair that JR gets to make Toronto fans happy while Florida fans get teased only to have to watch it fall apart...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wouldn't bet on that. His play during the "playoffs" was some of the worst I've ever seen. When you're a healthy scratch and need to be moved to forward on a team starved for good defenseman it's not a good sign.

And as bad as Matheson was, he was still better than Johnson and Schultz.

Again, that's not a compliment to Matheson's performance as much as it is a condemnation of how truly awful that Pens' third pairing was.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
And as bad as Matheson was, he was still better than Johnson and Schultz.

Again, that's not a compliment to Matheson's performance as much as it is a condemnation of how truly awful that Pens' third pairing was.

Eh..
I really don't think thats true. Atleast its close...
Matheson was bar none the worst D of the playoffs IMO...
I had money on the Panthers so I followed it pretty closely and it was astonishing how much worse they were with him on the ice vs him being benched...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad