Proposal: Pitt - Car Trade again?

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
would love to pry niskanen from them, loved him back in his days in the Dallas system, but havent paid much attention to him since he ended up in Pitt. not sure how he has been doing, so not sure if he would help or not, or what it would take.

dont know much about despres at all

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
It's worth mentioning that we're fairly deep on NHL-capable D, we just badly need another top 4 talent.

Also worth mentioning that almost every team needs D, and those with a good amount of talent and depth have accrued it for a reason (to make a deep run in the playoffs) and aren't interested in moving their Dmen for fair value.

I don't know if we could pry a defenseman from a playoff team with what is kind of a meh defense outside of Letang.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Couple of problems with this.

1) Niskanen may be injured for however long. Let the Pens get back to you on this tomorrow.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3373371-74/penguins-glass-bylsma#axzz2JIvwiRzC

2) Niskanen performs very well and reliably on the top pairing. He is actually downright outstanding so far, but you may or may not have to expect a slight downward turn if you are not pairing him with a player the quality of Letang.

3) Considering the position he plays for us right now and how well he does it, the Pens would need a young bonafide top6 forward back to make it worth their while. Like not Tlusty, Dwyer, Dalpe, etc.

4) Most of what is true for Niskanen is true for Despres, who does not have the same big role this season, but is hopefully regarded as the longtime solution next to Letang.
He is not injured, but his availability may be influenced by Niskanen´s health.

5) If I could interest you in a bottom pair guy, most of us would get rid of Lovejoy just to take the option of actually playing him of the table for Bylsma. Probably not though, since numbers do not seem to be the problem. :D

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
I was actually wondering a few days back if Ruutu was available. Though since he's injured, I really dont see anyone else that we could use.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Its a little funny that Niskanen is a likeable target. Before he was traded to Pitt, I was soundly laughed off this board for suggesting we find a way to get Niskanen. At the time his stock was low and he was being destroyed by Marc Crawford but he had been really good and had all the tools.

Regardless, we have seen several opportunities to add decent dmen to solidify the group of 6 and JR passes on it every damn time whether its a low level free agent who is solid or whether its missing out on a minor trade like Fistric for a 3rd rounder. Despite the price, there was absolutley no reason to bring back Corvo for the role he was going to serve. It was just easier because he wanted to come back.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Who's our 8th guy?

Could argue that Jordan could be right there with Gragnani, he's a bit more defense oriented of those two, though still on the non-physical offensive side of the equation.

Its a little funny that Niskanen is a likeable target. Before he was traded to Pitt, I was soundly laughed off this board for suggesting we find a way to get Niskanen. At the time his stock was low and he was being destroyed by Marc Crawford but he had been really good and had all the tools.

Regardless, we have seen several opportunities to add decent dmen to solidify the group of 6 and JR passes on it every damn time whether its a low level free agent who is solid or whether its missing out on a minor trade like Fistric for a 3rd rounder. Despite the price, there was absolutley no reason to bring back Corvo for the role he was going to serve. It was just easier because he wanted to come back.

IIRC you, bleed, and myself were 3 of the few who were saying that we take a run at him. I think I preferred Daley between the two, but was onboard for either one.

I still think the biggest hole we have is #3C, until we resolve that we're still in a holding pattern IMO. A guy like even Langkow or Moore as #2 could be a big boost to this team. Bigger then adding any dman shy of a Marc Staal type player.

Last edited:

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
IMO Caniacs you need a stay at home like Volchenkov or Gorges with Jokinen as the bargaining chip

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
IMO Caniacs you need a stay at home like Volchenkov or Gorges with Jokinen as the bargaining chip

Yeah I think a lot of Canes fans were all about acquiring him in the pre-season, basically thinking along those same lines trade wise. He'd be perfect for what the Canes need, it was a very glaring and obvious hole after the departure of Allen and JR took the absolute wrong step in addressing it this offseason.

I can't remember but I think the Ruutu injury kindof derailed that train for whatever reason. I haven't heard the idea much since then at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad