Speculation: Pitkanen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah they're both different injuries than this. Peake's story is just sad. Hopefully they've come far enough so this doesn't change Joni's life permanently.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It must also be kept in mind, as many have said in this thread, that medical science is much different now than in the time of Peake. Even in the relatively short amount of time. I remember when ACL tears used to be the end of players. If that happened your chances of being the same player again were thoroughly ruined if you even came back at all. And while Peake's initial injury did a lot towards helping him towards the decision to retire, it wasn't the lone blow. He had several other issues including tearing tendons in his right ankle which was the same one impacted by the broken heel.

Skate technology is another aspect that shouldn't be ignored. If Joni is going to make an honest effort to come back, getting a special boot will be a huge part of the equation. I find this to be much more likely today than in the late 90's. It's going to depend a lot upon his pain threshold, which I think is underrated, and his willingness to pay attention to his body and make sure that playing again is the right decision. I don't believe there is much one can do to make this kind of injury *worse*. Even if you fracture the heel again it's a similar recovery process but not something you ever want to go through twice from what I can gather. Though it does take QUITE a bit of force to damage the heel bone.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Pitkanen gave some comments about his situation and the future for a Finnish newspaper yesterday:

- The foot is getting better but the rehab is still going on.
- He's doing everything he can to be able to get back but notes that it may be possible that he'll never play again.
- There's no prognosis or timetable for the rehabilitation. He's just taking it a day at a time.
- He hasn't skated since the injury but has been able to run and bike a little.
- He has followed ice hockey only on television as it's hard for him to watch.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Pitkanen gave some comments about his situation and the future for a Finnish newspaper yesterday:

- The foot is getting better but the rehab is still going on.
- He's doing everything he can to be able to get back but notes that it may be possible that he'll never play again.
- There's no prognosis or timetable for the rehabilitation. He's just taking it a day at a time.
- He hasn't skated since the injury but has been able to run and bike a little.
- He has followed ice hockey only on television as it's hard for him to watch.

Thanks for the summary. Google Chrome does a great job translating for me...

"Walking is going well, juoksuaskeleetkin to a minor extent, but mainly he was taken by the sweat on the exercise bike. Skates, he did not put his leg, then the fatal April 2013."

I think that interview should put to rest most speculation that he could be ready by next season.

I really feel for the guy, hopefully he can recover and come back to the NHL one day.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think that interview should put to rest most speculation that he could be ready by next season.

I really feel for the guy, hopefully he can recover and come back to the NHL one day.

Yeah, unfortunately. I'm no doctor, but if he can't even skate a year and a half after the injury, it seems unlikely that he'll be able to play competitive hockey again. It's a shame, and speaks to just how fragile a career in sports can be.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
He seems to be able to walk normally. And in the end that's what is important. As long as he can have a healthy life and enjoy his children, hockey is secondary. I'd love to see him get a 2nd chance, but it's not worth pushing yourself to the point of permanently damaging your mobility.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm sure he really wants to play and it's sad to hear he can't (at least for a while) but maybe he can get into a different job around hockey as time goes on. Maybe under super-Fin Jarmo in Columbus...?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00