Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Yannick Weber signs with the Penguins (1 year, 2-way, $700K)

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
From a Pens perspective, fantastic. Depth dman without giving up any assets.

Marcus Pettersson should hopefully be back soon, and PO Joseph/Ruhwedel have done admirably. I'm glad JR still remembers how to make a roster move without giving up a pick.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Marino hopefully is just dinged up and back shortly. Dumo not sure but it is becoming a crisis with all the D out. But a silver lining in POJ and is play so that is one positive.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Look for GM to make another D trade , especially if pens drop next game . Rumors hearing up in Toronto today about Dermott.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Marino is not practicing either.

So we’ve essentially lost all 5 of our top six defenseman lol.

Pettersson
Riikola
Matheson
Dumolin
Marino

After seven games, that is completely insane.

I wish that the taxi squad had a little more room right now. It was great to see POJ come up and look the part at the NHL level, but it would've been cool too to see if Maniscalco or Will Reilly get a game here or there in a moment of need. I wouldnt expect them to go "full Marino" of course, but who knows what might happen when the need and opportunity is there for them.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I mean, he's been playing like it.

Yannick Weber is a righty I thought they needed LD

Healthy defensemen. LHD would be preferred, but the Pens are missing 5 regulars and a 9/10 (Trotman) right now and bunch of professional rookies on the blue line in WBS.

Finding a guy who could step into the line-up without being a complete and total liability and would accept a taxi squad role without having to spend an asset seems like the logic behind this one.

"Wrong" shot or not, I'll take Weber over a guy who hasn't played a NHL game in nearly 7 years (Czuczman, the likely next man up).

Last edited:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
For clarity, it's not mandatory for Weber to go through waivers. Pitt is choosing to do so.
Why are they putting him on waivers then? If he clears now then does that mean he won’t be waiver eligible down the stretch or something?

Reactions: Morrison

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Mentioned in another thread but good on Weber to carve out a career in the NHL as a depth defenseman with around 500 NHL games to his name. That's not easy.

Feels like only yesterday he was playing for the Habs, time flies. He has a cannon of a shot, you wouldn't expect it from how he is built.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Mentioned in another thread but good on Weber to carve out a career in the NHL as a depth defenseman with around 500 NHL games to his name. That's not easy.

Feels like only yesterday he was playing for the Habs, time flies. He has a cannon of a shot, you wouldn't expect it from how he is built.

Is a kinda younger Mark Streit a valid comparison?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad