Trade: [PIT/WSH] Mark Melancon to Nationals for Felipe Rivero and prospect Taylor Hearn

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Given what they paid for Melancon, given what New York was asking for Miller...Washington made the right move.

Melancon has been dominant ever since going to the Pirates, a 4 years/260.1 inning sample size...and he's far more proven as a closer. Miller is better, but not so much better to compensate for the gulf in trade value.

This.

Yankees played hardball and Nats were right to look elsewhere.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Good trade for both I'd say. Rivero is a solid reliever under longer club control AINEC. Rather take that than let Melancon walk for nothing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Washington needed a top-flight closer for another playoff run - after years without one, and it proving costly every single time - and everyone knew that Papelbon's arm has been shot since coming back from injury.

The question was always whether they'd have to give up one of their top prospects, a Turner, Giolito, Lopez, to get it done. They kept those guys, and kept Michael Taylor, who is possibly another solid trade chip in the offseason.

I like Rivero, but the Nationals are in their competitive window and it's not always about optimal asset management... and really, when is any deadline deal about asset management for the acquiring club? This is one of Washington's better teams to try and win within this window. Given they were against the wall, this is reasonable. Both teams should benefit.

The Pirates get a nice player, with multiple years under control. Nationals fans are likely a lot happier about another year of playoffs where Melancon is there in place of Storen out of the bullpen in the ninth.

Washington might want to grab another middle reliever, if the price is decent.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
This just seems like a bizarre move by Pittsburgh. Are they certain they can't resign Melancon? They are only 2-3 games out of the wildcard and it feels like they just gave up to a small extent

Realistically, even if the Pirates did make it as a WC they weren't going to go anywhere with the starting pitching they currently have. I'm happy that Huntington made the deal even though I'm not that enthused with the return. I was hoping for more but I do like Rivera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad