Trade: [PIT/WSH] Josh Bell for Eddy Yean and Wil Crowe

Sep 19, 2008
You expect people that cheer for the Pirates to be rational?
Yinzers have odd expectations. Been over this countless times so no need to bring it up here but they love Primati's and beating up on people for doing a good job. "IT'S NOT CHAMPIONSHIP QUALITAH WE'RE THE CITY OF CHAMPIONS" :rolleyes:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'll definitely be curious to see what Bell can do with a bit of lineup protection, but the core of his problems really start with himself. His value has a hard cap if there's no NL DH next year, and he still doesn't really have an identity a a hitter. He constantly tinkers with his approach and the result has seemed to settle into a kind of jekyll and hyde thing where he's either unstoppably locked in or taking the worst swings you can imagine. I don't know if he'll ever find consistency – how he handles the same type of slump in a new situation will be pretty telling in terms of whether he can salvage some solid, mid-range MLB starting talent or flame out even more.

From the Nationals perspective it makes a lot of sense – Yean is several years away and Crowe is depth. From the Pirates, you get the sense that the judgment is simply that he wouldn't gain value. There's clearly an element of not wanting to pay his next salary, but there's a decent baseball argument for at least getting a prospect with some ceiling out of this, as Bell winding up non-tendered/worth nothing is certainly in the range of options. I was initially opposed to the idea of dealing him, thinking that some kind of bridge deal might be the only hope of rebuilding his value, as unlikely as that would be. The Nationals will also have the advantage of Bell needing to play for a contract.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
bell almost hit 40 homers in 2019. not sure why so many people are saying he's not good

he sucked in 2020 but that entire team did. wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back with the nats

He's a DH/1B who, besides an insane/historic 2 month stretch, has been nothing more than a slightly better than average hitter. He offers nothing in terms of positional value and is so bad in the field, he will require defensive replacements late in games, esp postseason if he plays in it.

I'd expect 15-20 HR and a 345 OB. He's not a bad player but definitely not a star or noteworthy player.

Really can't understand anyone knocking the Pirates for this one. They need to burn it to the ground and try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad