Proposal: PIT - VGK (bribe)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is sound.

The Pens could end up still having both goalies.

Fleury's trade value is intact and the Pens can trade him at their leisure.

Yes and no. Ultimately we still have to move him for cap reasons and the odds of having a lot of options to do so is slim.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It's actually 1.916 per to buy him out. So it's 4.416 or a little over 1.3 in savings.

Then you need to add Murray's salary.
Now Fleury and Murray have a cap hit of 6378k.
If they buy Fleury out they have a cap hit of 5667k.
Good luck to find a good cheap backup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Pittsburgh has one of the best young goalies in hockey... I don't think anyone is all that worried about who the backup might be. Worse case, we use Jarry (however most would rather see him getting starts in the AHL vs sitting).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Condon
Jarry
Kuemper
Berra
Montoya
Nilsson
Enroth
Kinkaid

Yeah, I think the Penguins will be fine. But I like you false worry about them, as if that makes Vegas more likely to get Murray :laugh:

Also, your numbers are wrong. Murray and Fleury this season cost $6.644 million ($5.75 million for Fleury and $894k for Murray). A buyout next season for MAF plus Murray would put them at $5.667 million, which means the Penguins can get basically a $1 million goalie without spending any more money. At least 6 of the 8 guys I listed will be making less than $1 million next season, the only ones that might not are Condon and Kuemper.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wait, since when was it difficult to find a cheap back-up? Finding a guy for a shade above the minimium has never been difficult...in fact the Pens have had a conga-line of them throughout Fleury's career outside of Vokoun. Sabourin, Conklin, Condon, Garon, Greiss, Johnson, Zatkoff...all had minimal cap hits and came from outside the organization. Plus there's Jarry in WBS as a safety net.

With the salary coming off the books this year this isn't even remotely a concern, even if the Pens wind up being stuck buying Fleury out...plus let's not act like back-up on a legitimate contender doesn't hold some appeal, many of those names I listed went to Pittsburgh on a discount because of that chance.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Score just reported that Murray is week to week with a lower body injury. The plot thickens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Score just reported that Murray is week to week with a lower body injury. The plot thickens.

How does the plot thicken?

Numbers for a buyout are often different, cap hit and salary must not be the same. All what matters here are cap hits.

That's not the number you were wrong on. Murray and Fleury together don't only make $6.3 million like you said. They make like $6.7 million per year, which basically means that they have $1 million to sign a backup and have the same salary as Fleury and Murray this year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How does the plot thicken?

That's not the number you were wrong on. Murray and Fleury together don't only make $6.3 million like you said.

Depends on how many weeks he's out, pretty sure they won't be dealing MAF until Murray is back healthy...what happens if he's out until the deadline?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Depends on how many weeks he's out, pretty sure they won't be dealing MAF until Murray is back healthy...what happens if he's out until the deadline?

Murray isn't going to be out for 2 months, come on now :laugh:

He probably pulled his groin or something like that and he'll be out like 2-4 weeks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was talking about cap hits because only cap hits matter here.

Yes? Those were the numbers you were wrong on. I don't know why you're arguing this, you were just wrong :laugh:

Now let us wait till Fleury has his next concussion. He has a history, right.

Fleury has had 2 concussions in his entire career. But yeah, if that's what you're hoping for, good luck with that.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I admit, I havent been following close enough, but wouldn't Murray be exposed to the expansion draft too, seeing as Fleury has to be protected because of his no-trade clause?
Would that not be an obvious pick for Vegas if there is a legitimate (?) starting option in net available?

UMMMM ... Fleury will be moved, so Murray won't be even a remote option for Vegas. There are some other teams beside Vegas that could use him.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

I can't imagine the Pens moving Fleury at the deadline regardless of Murray's health...the first goal is to repeat as champs...the second goal is maximizing assets in a situation where you have a goalie that's gotta go...or at least agree to be exposed...after all, Fleury is pretty much all-Pittsburgh, his best chance of remaining with the club, ironically, is waiving his NMC...

You never know how things go down...if you just give Fleury away to get a draft pick or whatever at the deadline or a garbage goalie like Elliott or whoever and a pick, you're not putting the best team out to win a Cup...

Fleury's value before the deadline vs. after the playoffs isn't likely to be great enough for the team to willfully hurt itself to make a move...I'd be much more comfortable going into the playoffs with Murray/Fleury as opposed to Murray/inferior wildcard...

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
:huh:

MAF's buyout and a 2.5m vet is still cheaper then carrying MAF on the roster.

Well actually Rutherford already said that Pittsburgh will not be losing a goalie in the expansion draft. How he plans to manage that is up for debate, but he's already gone on record that it will not happen - and he has many options available to him to ensure it doesn't.

Technically they have to expose one goalie under contract that meets the requirements, whether LV chooses them or not is a different thing.

I could see something around Niemi and Fleury with PIT exposing Nemo.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Even if Murray was out till the deadline, they would just call Jarry up and swap responsibilities. Fleury would be the starter with Jarry the back-up.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I can't imagine the Pens moving Fleury at the deadline regardless of Murray's health...the first goal is to repeat as champs...the second goal is maximizing assets in a situation where you have a goalie that's gotta go...or at least agree to be exposed...after all, Fleury is pretty much all-Pittsburgh, his best chance of remaining with the club, ironically, is waiving his NMC...

You never know how things go down...if you just give Fleury away to get a draft pick or whatever at the deadline or a garbage goalie like Elliott or whoever and a pick, you're not putting the best team out to win a Cup...

Fleury's value before the deadline vs. after the playoffs isn't likely to be great enough for the team to willfully hurt itself to make a move...I'd be much more comfortable going into the playoffs with Murray/Fleury as opposed to Murray/inferior wildcard...

Yeah, the only way I saw Fleury being dealt before the end of the season as of yesterday was if he demands a trade...this doesn't change that view.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Fleury has had 2 concussions in his entire career. But yeah, if that's what you're hoping for, good luck with that.

That's a good option Fleury has, a concussion and he will stay, no matter what.

And it seems he wants to stay :)
(another day lost to trade him)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So there's no problem with the Pens just trading him to a non-ntc list team then.

Nope. Worse case, PIT retains a little on him (anything up to 1.9m is still cheaper then buying him out - and only hits them for half the term). MAF at 3.85-4.75m will be a pretty appealing option. Especially if PIT isn't asking for much of a return. Obviously it would be better if we didn't have to retain anything and could get a wicked return... but I think most Pen fans (myself included) will be just as happy to have him off the roster and not have to worry about this for the ED.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad