Confirmed with Link: [PIT] Ty Smith re-signs with the Penguins (1 year, $775k)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yea that's what worries me. Nothing stopping it from happening, just don't see sign and trades all that often, I'd say particularly with the Pens but maybe I'm wrong. I just see way more upside in POJ. And if those two are the competition for 3LD, I prefer him.
I don't really see a ton of upside in either of them TBH. I think POJ's ceiling is basically Petts which I don't say as a bad thing. I was a Petts supporter even when he was the whipping boy around here, but he's not somebody they are going to look back on and think "What did we do!?" if they trade him.

I think Smith and Rutta's games would complement each other better. Smith can move the puck while Rutta plays the traditional stay at home defenseman. POJ is just kinda caught in the middle if paired with Rutta. He's not the best at moving the puck, but he's not yet good enough defensively to be a real shutdown pair either. I think he could get there, but it might not be fast enough for the Pens' needs.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not that Smith as an RFA had any other viable options, but if getting him signed was some kind of holdup on the potential EK deal then at least it's out of the way now.

Dump POJ + Granlund on the Sharks, sweeten the deal a little with a pick or prospect, then put Smith at 3LD with (presumably) Rutta and also let the kid show what he can do on the PP sometimes. Though with both Letang and EK here, if that happens, Smith will never sniff a power play -- barring inevitable injury to someone ahead of him.

Maybe he'll be less shackled than when he was up here briefly last season, doing like all young Sully-coached players do, which is:

#1 Grip that stick super tight and try to never make a mistake (you've been told what'll happen if you do....).
#2 See #1.
On the contrary, Smith would be the clear choice to QB PP2 while both Letang and Karlsson would almost surely play PP1 with Crosby, Malkin, and whoever was working well.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
On the contrary, Smith would be the clear choice to QB PP2 while both Letang and Karlsson would almost surely play PP1 with Crosby, Malkin, and whoever was working well.
Honestly, Acciari would fill a Hornqvist role if deployed on PP1. Setting screens for Karlsson, Letang, Malkin and Crosby. Role with R. Smith Carter Rakell Guentzel and T.Smith on PP2

Reactions: Dominance

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
If the Pens really load up on PP1 with Sid, Geno, Letang, EK and probably Guentzel, they'll either score (not that I'm complaining) -- or take up 1:40 of each 2 minute power play trying to do so. That doesn't leave much for PP2 and QB Ty to do, though obviously injuries will mix things up some portion of the time during the season.

We all know Sully will absolutely never break up Sid and Geno on the PP no matter how ineffective things become, and I suppose the same would apply to Letang/EK. Sully would be afraid of how the odd man out (Letang) would react to being demoted.

Reactions: Dominance

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d run 4 forwards on PP1 and 2 D on PP2. Karlsson replaces Letang as the safety valve there while also being significantly better as the point man offensively.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm not saying he can't make those plays. It was almost like he was instructed to defer.

Maybe I'm wrong but watching those powerplays he was making real solid passes/plays but it when it came to him having the option to put one on the net he deferred on good opportunities and passed.
Sergei Zubov used to do that, too. Mario got pissed and they traded him.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Looked solid in his 1st stint up especially on the powerplay when replacing Letang but was deferring to everyone. Would have like to see him taking those open shots.

They were keeping it pretty vanilla for him though

Imagine coming in playing 1 NHL season of games and telling 4 veterans of 2 or 3 Stanley cups that he is in charge.

Honestly he looked great and I do wish he took a couple shots but I understand if he was just trying to not make mistakes and simplify his game.... to not get removed from such an opportunity.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I mean, Brayden Point is smaller than Jake and does it.

They are the exact same size. The issue isn't Jake in front of the net. The issue is the penguins only look for deflection on the PP and have one point shot that is defective because Letang puts the puck in Geno's skates all the time.

If you take Letang off the PP it would be better. I feel like that is been pretty obvious for years. The only way it works with Letang is when you have someone like Kessel on the right side who can make plays happen.

In 2017-2018 Kessel had 30 PP assist and 42 pts.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Can Rakell or Smith do the net front stuff?

Likely an unpopular opinion here, but I think Carter would be a decent option up front.

For the way the Pens run their PP with barely any motion, yes JC is the best net front guy in terms of screens and deflections.

But they could avoid needing such a guy if they just moved around and continually changed angles

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Rakell is ok on deflections.
We don't really do conventional deflections. What we're really interested in is those stupid, choreographed, slap-pass-redirects that worked for like 2 seasons sometime around the b2b's when Sid was insane at converting them.

To add: You should know this, as they're a core tenet of our offense now.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad