Confirmed with Link: [PIT] Ty Smith re-signs with the Penguins (1 year, $775k)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Was hoping he’d be used in the EK deal.
I think Smith and POJ are pretty equal value, but I'd actually prefer Smith's puck moving if they are going to be on the 3rd pair with Rutta. So I wouldn't mind trading POJ instead.

It also doesn't really matter. They could still trade Smith. You don't see teams sign and then trade UFA, but it's not a big deal for RFA.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Looked solid in his 1st stint up especially on the powerplay when replacing Letang but was deferring to everyone. Would have like to see him taking those open shots.

They were keeping it pretty vanilla for him though

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think Smith and POJ are pretty equal value, but I'd actually prefer Smith's puck moving if they are going to be on the 3rd pair with Rutta. So I wouldn't mind trading POJ instead.

It also doesn't really matter. They could still trade Smith. You don't see teams sign and then trade UFA, but it's not a big deal for RFA.
Yea that's what worries me. Nothing stopping it from happening, just don't see sign and trades all that often, I'd say particularly with the Pens but maybe I'm wrong. I just see way more upside in POJ. And if those two are the competition for 3LD, I prefer him.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yea that's what worries me. Nothing stopping it from happening, just don't see sign and trades all that often, I'd say particularly with the Pens but maybe I'm wrong. I just see way more upside in POJ. And if those two are the competition for 3LD, I prefer him.
Yeah same, neither good in their own zone but I think POJ has more upside there, maybe slightly less in the O zone but for a third pairing D I think him better

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
a signed player should be worth more than one who is not. no?

Generally but in this case, any team in the NHL who held his rights could have signed him to that. He had no arbitration rights, no leverage. I don't think it matters either way. But it sure doesn't hurt.

Reactions: The Old Master

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Looked solid in his 1st stint up especially on the powerplay when replacing Letang but was deferring to everyone. Would have like to see him taking those open shots.

They were keeping it pretty vanilla for him though
I can't blame him for deferring to the others. I'd imagine he would.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Instead of spending future assets to be rid of bad contracts, NHL-caliber players who play for the bare NHL minimum are GOLD to this franchise at this time. Smith is most valuable to us on the third pairing. P.O. Joseph is most valuable to us as a top-four defenseman.

When you are up against the cap, need to maintain as many future assets as possible, are trying to acquire an $11.5 million cap hit and still need to tweak the roster, something has to give.

I hope we keep both Smith and Joseph and see what we have in both. Both still have some untapped upside, and both can play regular NHL minutes right now. Again, invaluable to this franchise.

Moreover, Smith even looked good on the right side next to Dumoulin last season. AND, if we are counting pennies then he is actually cheaper than Ruhwedel right now. That should help Smith win at least the No. 7 role.

Ideally, we move out two defensemen who make more money than these two guys in any Karlsson deal.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He is also still developing. If we brought in someone like Karlsson, for example, and kept Smith...65 is a guy who could really help Smith raise his game.
I'm not saying he can't make those plays. It was almost like he was instructed to defer.

Maybe I'm wrong but watching those powerplays he was making real solid passes/plays but it when it came to him having the option to put one on the net he deferred on good opportunities and passed.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Not that Smith as an RFA had any other viable options, but if getting him signed was some kind of holdup on the potential EK deal then at least it's out of the way now.

Dump POJ + Granlund on the Sharks, sweeten the deal a little with a pick or prospect, then put Smith at 3LD with (presumably) Rutta and also let the kid show what he can do on the PP sometimes. Though with both Letang and EK here, if that happens, Smith will never sniff a power play -- barring inevitable injury to someone ahead of him.

Maybe he'll be less shackled than when he was up here briefly last season, doing like all young Sully-coached players do, which is:

#1 Grip that stick super tight and try to never make a mistake (you've been told what'll happen if you do....).
#2 See #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3