Proposal: Pit - Sens - Buffalo

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Horrible for Buffalo. Do Pens think Murray is worth a high first?

No but I one point they were talking about looking for a mid or low first. I just think Okposo is becoming an anchor at 6mil. I thought getting rid of him and getting a young goalie might be enticing but I see Buffalo isn't interesting.

I guess Okposo isn't as bad as I thought so this trade seems like an instant no from buffalo.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Penguins
Tierney (RFA)

Ottawa
JJ
Okposo
Buffalo 2020 1rst 8th (Overall)

Buffalo
Matt Murray (RFA)

Buffalo pays a high price but gets out of Okposo's contract and gets a young starting goalie.

Pens get out of JJ and can sign Tierney for a third line center.

Ottawa takes on cap to reach the floor and gets the 8th overall for the troubles.

If JR attempts to attach JJ with Murray and really devalue the return, the GM is a bigger idiot than I thought and I think he has ruined the franchise moving forward with his dumb moves.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If JR attempts to attach JJ with Murray and really devalue the return, the GM is a bigger idiot than I thought and I think he has ruined the franchise moving forward with his dumb moves.

There aren't many options if they refuse to buy out jj. Buyout is the easiest and smartest option. But they have to move something with JJ. It probably takes at least a 2nd which they don't have this year. If you move next years your dont have and draft picks in the first 3 rounds next year.

He has made a mess but moving JJ will be the first steps in trying to fix it.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
There aren't many options if they refuse to buy out jj. Buyout is the easiest and smartest option. But they have to move something with JJ. It probably takes at least a 2nd which they don't have this year. If you move next years your dont have and draft picks in the first 3 rounds next year.

He has made a mess but moving JJ will be the first steps in trying to fix it.

He can't fix his dumb moves relative to the future of the organization moving forward.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No but I one point they were talking about looking for a mid or low first. I just think Okposo is becoming an anchor at 6mil. I thought getting rid of him and getting a young goalie might be enticing but I see Buffalo isn't interesting.

I guess Okposo isn't as bad as I thought so this trade seems like an instant no from buffalo.

Okposo is paid about twice what he's worth, but he's still a solid player. More importantly, Buffalo is one of about 3 teams in the NHL that doesn't have any cap problems right now. We're not pissing away high quality assets to free up even more cap space.

As for Murray, there are about a dozen good goalies on the market right now. It's a clear buyer's market. I'm very certain the Sabres can upgrade on Hutton for a whole lot less.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Buffalo really needs the 8th overall... Wouldn't make sense to overpay to unload Okposo. That being said, Ottawa runs away with this one.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Oh look. Yet another thread started by a non-Sabres fan looking to "ease our burden" by taking Okposo's contract. What are we up to now? 142?

I'll say it again for those in the back: The Sabres do not need to offload Okposo's contract. Is he worth the contract? Of course not. However, he's still a legit NHL player and loved in the locker room. We are NOT (repeat: NOT) looking to offload the contract and give up assets to do so. If you want to give us a nominal asset for him, fine. But we're not attaching anything of real value to be rid of him. ESPECIALLY not 8 overall in return for a goalie.

If you want 8 overall, you gotta come with long-term high value. Think youngish 2C, MAYBE youngish LHD.
If Rossi isn't there at 8 and Nashville wants Sanderson ... I'd take 11 and Bonino for 8 and Okposo...

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Obviously this is way out to lunch as a trade...but what if Pitt sends McCann as well to Buffalo and Ottawa sends a mid round pick to Pitt. Still not going to happen for 8OA but it would look better for Buffalo. Assuming they wanted a goalie, which the fans keeps telling us they don't.

Pitt - Tierney + 4th or 5th from Ottawa (Ottawa has like 20 picks in the first couple rounds)
Ottawa - JJ, Okposo, 8thOA
Buffalo - Murray, McCann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad