Trade: [PIT/PHI] Charlie Morton for David Whitehead

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

The Pirates have sent Morton to the Phillies in a move that clears some salary and gives the Phillies a veteran SP option for their rotation.

Goodbye #ElectricStuff, some of us always believed.

The Pirates have cleared a lot of salary, and likely will clear Melancon's ~10 million as well. With now only 4 starting pitchers, it seems like another shoe will be dropping very soon. The Pirates have been connected to Kazmir before, which would give them Gerrit Cole and 4 righties, or they could be eyeing a trade or something bigger. It seems unlikely that we'd pursue Gallardo for a draft pick, there have been no rumblings about Leake, and Cueto would be a shocker.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Surprised to get effectively nothing for Morton, but his inability to stay healthy has really locked him in as a low-level #4 at this stage and clearing that salary should help upgrade that roster spot into a more comfortable #3.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
So far, so good for Klentak. Hellickson and Morton could give them innings until most of the kids are ready for action. Oberholtzer is not future anchor in any rotation but has good control and pretty good cutter, so i expect from him to be regular.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
For Phillies fans, Morton's contract has an option for next year as well, but the trade means that it becomes mutual, meaning presumably he'll become a free agent, since the team won't use it if he's injured/inconsistent (as always), and he could get more money if he's actually healthy for once.

I do think that the virtually no pressure situation will be good for him if he's able to stay healthy. He's capable of some very strong outings when his pitches are working the way he wants them too, especially when he can deceive left-handers. When he's not clicking, left-handers absolutely dominate him.

He always seemed like a great guy, and more than a few Pirates fans, including myself, had a completely irrational love for him. Since I live in Philly, I'll definitely drag myself down to your mediocre stadium too see him a few times next summer, and I hope he thrives for the Phillies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Surprised to get effectively nothing for Morton, but his inability to stay healthy has really locked him in as a low-level #4 at this stage and clearing that salary should help upgrade that roster spot into a more comfortable #3.

Rumor has it you guys have a replacement lined up. Latos or Kazmir?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think most of us are expecting/hoping for Kazmir. Even though it potentially gives us 4 LHP in the rotation, that would play well to PNC Park's strengths. In fact, I think a lot of us are expecting something like Kazmir + a reclamation project like Masterson or Latos to compete with Locke for the fifth spot.

From what I'm reading, we have around 30 million to spend, assuming we move Melancon, which is basically a foregone conclusion. We still need at least one SP, some infield and bullpen depth, and a 1B or someone to platoon with Morse.

I really hope we don't go for Leake, because even though it might be lauded as a nice investment in the team finally, I think he's basically an eminently hittable pitcher, and I'd hope for someone with a little more ceiling as a #3 guy. Probably too expensive, but Kazmir would fit into the budget easily as it stands.

Knowing Huntington, there could also be a trade coming out of left field. One of the beat reporters tweeted (a somewhat obvious) remark from a source that this could be the trigger for "multiple moves" in the next few days. We met with Kazmir at the winter meetings, but besides interest in Tyson Ross back at the trade deadline, that's the last bit of news we've had about a #3-level starter.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That lefty-heavy of a rotation is a bit weird, especially since the Pirates are likely to be using the ultra-rare lefty closer as well next year, but Kazmir is an ideal fit for the team in every other way.

I'm with DJ in expecting something in the realm of Kazmir & a one-year reclamation project in a la Masterson or Latos to compete with Locke and eventually Glasnow & Taillon for the 5th spot.

Leake is an option, but Kazmir fits the Huntington/Searage mold much better.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
According rumors, A's, Royals and O's in the race for Kazmir. Outspending your competitors is not something that Pirates are known for but would love to see what Kazmir can do with Searage.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
One of our beat reporters just tweeted that according to his sources, "a 10-million plus guy like Leake or Kazmir" is not currently on the radar. The plot thickens a bit, although it's only the rumor of one reporter.

The Pirates are definitely not a team to get into a bidding war for anyone, and I could see Huntington getting cold feet especially for someone like Kazmir at 4 years, which it seems like he'll get. By all accounts there should definitely be money in the budget to pay Kazmir something like 15 million a year, but we'll see.

I'm expecting something a little bit more out of left field, but really hoping for something like Kazmir and a reclamation project like Masterson. We did meet with Kazmir at the winter meetings, but probably true for the three AL teams you mention and several more.

I'd love to go for broke and trade some prospects for Freeman, but that would do nothing for us at SP unless we got Teheran or someone back as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad