Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins sign D Pierre-Olivier Joseph to extension (2 years, $825k AAV)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
AZ fan, how's he been developing? Always seemed like a great kid and I remember he was producing for a spurt of time last season.

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
Hell yeah! Another brilliant signing Hextall. That makes, count em, 6 excellent moves so far.

And it's a one way deal. Most likely Pettersson is gone.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Is he waiver eligible still? We've been waiting for him to make the big club full time for a couple of years now. If they move a D out herex which they very well may, it will be his time.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
AZ fan, how's he been developing? Always seemed like a great kid and I remember he was producing for a spurt of time last season.
I would say he has developed ok.

He had a really nice 10 game or so run 2 seasons ago, but couldn’t sustain it. A few of those games he looked unreal. Didn’t get much action last year.

Hasn’t proven he’s gonna be a for-sure NHL regular yet, but he’s trending that way.

I think he’s got potential to be the type of guy that can be a solid complimentary partner to a better D partner in your top 4. But might just top out as a cheap depth guy for a while.

Tough to say with him.

Reactions: mouser

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
One way...

Hopefully he's grown - a lot - since last he played up. Dude was terrible. But, we need to get some value on some cheaper deals so hoping for the best.

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
Tons of potential with this kid. Let's see if he can turn it into end product on the NHL level.

Also, as @Big Poppa Pump mentioned, likely means Petts is gone. Never liked Pettersson, personally. Sick of seeing him get smacked into the boards with his 6'3" twig frame. Literal stick figure.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Too bad our lazy ass GM and our brain dead coach don’t like him.

Remember when we used to let prospects like Dumoulin, Rust, Kuhnhackl and others marinate in the minors until the were more than ready, and then they helped us win cups?

You know, like how Detroit used to always do it before they won their cups?

Yeah.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

He's looked good in short spurts at the NHL level but eventually struggled towards the end of his one call up. He's obviously too good to be in the AHL at this point but he's blocked by how much money we have already invested in D.

That and the coaching staff still thinks he should be a physical presence and I don't think that's who he is.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I think POJ is simply following a very typical development path. People can say coaching staff blah blah blah, and he's gotta do XYZ or whatever.

But all of that is just noise and I think many people simply forget or ignore that the vast majority of Dmen who are not named Makar, Doughty, Heiskanen, Seider and other very rare & special elite Dmen prospects take about 5 years to hit the NHL full time. Couple that with the fact that the Penguins like to bring their prospects along slowly and wait until they're overripe, and that's why POJ is where he is developmentally.

He should be expected to play no higher than a #6 or #7 role this season, sharing time with Friedman in that role. POJ will be given every opportunity to be the full time #6 guy but they have Friedman there as the insulator. And in the event of injury, he'll be counted on to step up higher in the lineup. Anything more than that will be a bonus for this coming season, and the following season he should compete for a full time slot in the 3rd or possibly 2nd pair.

That is the typical development path for someone like him and what people's expectations should be. And he's perfectly on track for this. I think it's great for the team and POJ that it was a 2 year contract and by the time it expires, he should prove to be a quality NHL regular and get longer term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad