Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign Matt Cullen to 1 year deal

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
A bit surprising it took this long to sign him, he was a key player for The pens on their cup run. Great deal

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Matt Cullen is one of the unsung heroes of the Pens cup win. He contributed plenty as an individual, but he was also instrumental in bringing Sheary, Rust, Kuhnhackl along. They call him "Dad". Im not kidding. Maybe we win the cup without Cullen, but theres no way we win it without Cullen, Sheary, Rust and Kuhnhackl playing at the level they did.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rutherford alluded to them still being in on Vesey when he was talking to the media about signing Cullen, so I don't think this has any bearing on that situation.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
We could still get Vesey.

But happy we got him.

Crosby malkin Bonino Cullen
That is the best centre group AIEC (and it's even close)
Anyways he brings a lot to the table for 1 million.

Give him a game of rest once a month. I don't see him scoring as many though

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Love this. We really needed a defensive minded 4th line center that can wreck havoc in the faceoff circle. Vital to our playoffs this past run. Very happy to have him back.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Such a good signing really jealous of this guy. He had a hell of a playoffs imo.

barbosa

Mar 21, 2016
Pittsburgh
The Wild beat writer has been reporting since July 1st that Cullen has been willing to come home to Minnesota if the Wild wanted him, Fletcher just never offered the contract for whatever reason. The Wild did definitely know about Cullen's interest though as it had become a running joke between the beat writer (Michael Russo) and Wild owner Craig Leipold asking when Cullen would sign.

So, in your analogy, that's like a Victoria's Secret model waiting for you to propose to her, but you sat around and let her get engaged to someone else. We have the perfect opening for Cullen in our bottom six and we'll probably just fill it with a rookie or with a guy like Ryan Carter or Chris Porter now.

ouch. shoulda stepped up Jaded DAMN! :help:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
don't know how $1m for 1 year for Matt Cullen could be a poor signing for anyone.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What is Fletcher thinking? Only 1M?

Oh right, we need " flexibility" for that big trade he's going to make...any minute now...still waiting...

I would rather he signed Cullen for one year at 1 M than Staal for 3/9M

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If Sundqvist get's sent down (which I hope), we should have something close to $1.1M in cap space I think. So, enough for Vesey.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What is Fletcher thinking? Only 1M?

Oh right, we need " flexibility" for that big trade he's going to make...any minute now...still waiting...

I would rather he signed Cullen for one year at 1 M than Staal for 3/9M

I think it's fair to say that just because Cullen signed with Pittsburgh for 1 mil per doesn't mean he'd sign anywhere for that much.

I imagine he tested the UFA waters mainly to see if any other team would offer him a substantial enough premium to make moving on worthwhile. All other things being equal, why would he go anywhere else?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The Wild beat writer has been reporting since July 1st that Cullen has been willing to come home to Minnesota if the Wild wanted him, Fletcher just never offered the contract for whatever reason. The Wild did definitely know about Cullen's interest though as it had become a running joke between the beat writer (Michael Russo) and Wild owner Craig Leipold asking when Cullen would sign.

So, in your analogy, that's like a Victoria's Secret model waiting for you to propose to her, but you sat around and let her get engaged to someone else. We have the perfect opening for Cullen in our bottom six and we'll probably just fill it with a rookie or with a guy like Ryan Carter or Chris Porter now.
Cullen said today that Pittsburgh was his preference all along and the way Rutherford spoke about it, he made it sound like his re-signing was fait accompli for some time. His boys seemed to be a strong factor as well, they became Penguin crazy last summer - they even got their schooling done with a private tutor inside the Penguins practice facility - and Cullen said when he told them they were going back, they ran inside their rooms and got all their Penguins gear on.

I don't know that it would have mattered much.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
This is fantastic. Cullen was so damn important to the Pens. He takes so many defensive draws and still has very good wheels. 1 million for him is a fantastic deal. He's well worth 2.5m imo. Cullen is a hell of a team player. I guess he didn't have so much interest in going to the Wild after all. Strangely at this point Cullen is a better player than Eric Staal. Wow, I never thought I would say those words.

Last edited:

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Damn, how old is this dude? I'd swear that he was old back when I was a young lad LOLz

He turns 40 in Nov. The dude is like a fine wine, he gets better with age. This season at 39 he played at pretty much a great 3c level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad