Claimed off Waivers: [PIT] Penguins claim F Jansen Harkins off waivers from the Jets

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Notable to me simply because I met his father and Uncle when I was working down in Cleveland.

Todd had just been drafted by Clagary, and they worked out at my gym.

Otherwise, an unremarkable transition.

However, as I have met the family; I wish Jansen nothing but the best in Pittsburgh!

1696270280050.png

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Harkins was the single best AHL player I saw last year (have streaming package) - watched 5 or 6 Moose games and every time I was left confused how he wasn’t in the NHL. Nice pickup for Pittsburgh’s bottom 6.
Because he played amazing on the Moose and then played like a typical 13th forward in the NHL. He is going to end up as one of those guys who could dominate the AHL but never translate that success to the NHL.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I remember in his draft year, the camera was literally focused directly on Harkins when Vancouver picked in the first round

It seemed like everyone thought he was gonna be a Vancouver draft pick, or some rumor picked up steam

Reactions: banks

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Because he played amazing on the Moose and then played like a typical 13th forward in the NHL. He is going to end up as one of those guys who could dominate the AHL but never translate that success to the NHL.

It’s obviously a small sample size but his possession numbers (55% corsi) relative to his usage (33% zone starts) were freaking outstanding in Winnipeg last year.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
It’s obviously a small sample size but his possession numbers (55% corsi) relative to his usage (33% zone starts) were freaking outstanding in Winnipeg last year.
As you said it was a small sample. I've watched every game he has played in the NHL, he plays 1-2 good games then vanishes for 5-6, he is horribly inconsistent. He is 26, at this point he is what he is and expecting him to suddenly change is unrealistic.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This move is definitely interesting, I would much rather gamble on someone like Harkins over playing Hinostroza in the same role.

His analytics were monstrously good in the NHL last year and he was also a monster in the AHL last year, so it wouldn't be too surprising for him to put it all together. It probably won't pan out to being anything special, but this is a really nice lottery ticket for the Penguins it seems.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As you said it was a small sample. I've watched every game he has played in the NHL, he plays 1-2 good games then vanishes for 5-6, he is horribly inconsistent. He is 26, at this point he is what he is and expecting him to suddenly change is unrealistic.

There is literally no such thing as a 10-minute 4th liner who manages to look great/noticeable every night. If your ‘bad’ games are quietly low-eventing 10 minutes mostly in the right end of the rink, that’s actually excellent.

Reactions: andora

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
There is literally no such thing as a 10-minute 4th liner who manages to look great/noticeable every night. If your ‘bad’ games are quietly low-eventing 10 minutes mostly in the right end of the rink, that’s actually excellent.
Well then Pittsburgh fans can enjoy watching him now, and in 50 games when he is in the press box or back on waivers everyone will forget about him again.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Basically the Penguins have waiver fodder going to be sent down. Added competition if he can compete he has a shot at the main roster. His play then will determine if he stays after Guentzel is healthy.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He was perfectly fine when he played for the Jets. Wasn't a fit here for whatever reason. Best of luck to him in Pittsburgh.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
Capable player with NHL skills but can't seem to think the game fast enough. Hopefully a change of scenery is all he needs so i wish him good luck.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Didn’t do much for the Jets
Monster season with the Moose when send down
Deserves a second chance with another team

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like a good claim for the Penguins. Kind of a "nothing" player who can go invisible...but the Penguins bottom-6 could probably use a guy like that over some of the other options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad