Proposal: PIT - OTT

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
You mean the bad contract that likely appears to be heading towards LTIR before expiring without having to give up a 2nd with the pleasure of also accepting another terrible contract.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the Sens get back to a real playoff team next year, They now have to get over the hump here and add a top player in Karlsson which they have assets to give up to a rebuilding Pens. No brainer to me.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
That's a no.
Wait, why? Norris' contract is completely underwater at this point.

You mean the bad contract that likely appears to be heading towards LTIR before expiring without having to give up a 2nd with the pleasure of also accepting another terrible contract.
We don't know what Andlauer's limit will be for payroll expenditure. Norris is owed 52.1M in real dollars after this season. Smith is owed 4M. Ottawa would be paying a 2nd round pick to save 48M. There's no way Pittsburgh would agree to this, and I can't believe Ottawa fans are balking.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

We don't know what Andlauer's limit will be for payroll expenditure. Norris is owed 52.1M in real dollars after this season. Smith is owed 4M. Ottawa would be paying a 2nd round pick to save 48M. There's no way Pittsburgh would agree to this, and I can't believe Ottawa fans are balking.
If he's damaged, he goes on LTIR. If he can get fixed properly, he's an asset. What's the rush?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Ottawa Senators wanting to be a good team?
I don't think that's going to get in the way - if our new management doesn't suck. Norris is a good player, a solid asset - IF he isn't damaged. If he is, then he needs to go on LTIR until he's better - however long that takes.

Maybe the emergence of Pinto and Greig make him expendable, but I don't think Ottawa and their management should be in a rush to dump him until they know exactly where he and they are at.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I suggested:

Karlsson+Rakell for Chabot+Norris

Cap swaps are nearly even.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Until Norris is cleared to play again, the only party paying anything at this time is insurance. So why would Andlauer pay Smith $4M when he will not be out of pocket on Norris if his career is over? If Norris recovers from this round of shoulder surgery, the ceiling is higher for Ottawa on Norris.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I don't think that's going to get in the way - if our new management doesn't suck. Norris is a good player, a solid asset - IF he isn't damaged. If he is, then he needs to go on LTIR until he's better - however long that takes.

Maybe the emergence of Pinto and Greig make him expendable, but I don't think Ottawa and their management should be in a rush to dump him until they know exactly where he and they are at.
That makes sense if Andlauer will greenlight unlimited payroll expenditures. I hope he is. But if he's not, a 2nd round pick is a really, really cheap way to save 48M, which can then be reallocated. And even if Andlauer is 100% willing to pay Norris to LTIR, there's downside risk of Norris getting healthy enough to play, but never actually being the player he was before.

Basically, I think Ottawa would and should jump at the opportunity to move on from a compromised asset at a very reasonable price. But it's a moot point anyway, because it would cost a lot more than a 2nd + Reilly Smith's contract to move Norris.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
That makes sense if Andlauer will greenlight unlimited payroll expenditures. I hope he is. But if he's not, a 2nd round pick is a really, really cheap way to save 48M, which can then be reallocated. And even if Andlauer is 100% willing to pay Norris to LTIR, there's downside risk of Norris getting healthy enough to play, but never actually being the player he was before.

Basically, I think Ottawa would and should jump at the opportunity to move on from a compromised asset at a very reasonable price. But it's a moot point anyway, because it would cost a lot more than a 2nd + Reilly Smith's contract to move Norris.

I agree with this.

I think the sens best option is to keep him and hope he gets over this injury hurdle like Tarasenko did.

In the event he isn’t able to get over it, LTIRetirement is likely the outcome.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Until Norris is cleared to play again, the only party paying anything at this time is insurance. So why would Andlauer pay Smith $4M when he will not be out of pocket on Norris if his career is over? If Norris recovers from this round of shoulder surgery, the ceiling is higher for Ottawa on Norris.
Is Norris' contract 100% insured?

Either way, The risk of Norris coming back a year from now looking nothing like the player he was is high enough that I'd move him. Not a team in the league would give Norris anything close to a 52M guarantee right now, so I don't understand why Ottawa would hesitate to rid themselves of it for a pittance.

Reactions: wej20

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Could there be a deal around Karlsson for chychrun?
I wouldn't personally do it as Chych is like 8 years younger but I think it's the only realistic way that trade happens.

PIT would have to retain $2-3M of Karlsson's salary, but they would get a younger player with similar production at less or the same cost for the next 3 years, and then even less once EK's deal is done.

OTT traded 12th overall plus for Chychrun so flipping him for the final 3-5 years of EK past his prime is not a wise move, in my opinion. Hope Staios learns from Dorion from when he traded a 23 year old Zibanejad for a 2 years of a 29 year old in Derrick Brassard.

If they move Chychrun it should be for something who can help both now and in 5 years, and Karlsson is not that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wouldn't personally do it as Chych is like 8 years younger but I think it's the only realistic way that trade happens.

PIT would have to retain $2-3M of Karlsson's salary, but they would get a younger player with similar production at less or the same cost for the next 3 years, and then even less once EK's deal is done.

OTT traded 12th overall plus for Chychrun so flipping him for the final 3-5 years of EK past his prime is not a wise move, in my opinion. Hope Staios learns from Dorion from when he traded a 23 year old Zibanejad for a 2 years of a 29 year old in Derrick Brassard.

If they move Chychrun it should be for something who can help both now and in 5 years, and Karlsson is not that.

What about Chabot straight up lol

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
What about Chabot straight up lol
Chabot is different in the sense that he likely only has 4 years left in Ottawa, so they could swing that. But I just think he is the superior player relative to Chychrun and would much rather keep Chabot over Chych.

TBH I would move Chabot for EK at the draft (before Chabot's NTC kicks in July 1) and then move Chychrun after July 1 to a team that can offer him an extension. And just find a 2LD in free agency, much easier than finding a RHD and a Top 3 of Sanderson, Karlsson and Zub is pretty darn good and balanced.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Chabot is different in the sense that he likely only has 4 years left in Ottawa, so they could swing that. But I just think he is the superior player relative to Chychrun and would much rather keep Chabot over Chych.

TBH I would move Chabot for EK at the draft (before Chabot's NTC kicks in July 1) and then move Chychrun after July 1 to a team that can offer him an extension. And just find a 2LD in free agency, much easier than finding a RHD and a Top 3 of Sanderson, Karlsson and Zub is pretty darn good and balanced.
I agree on moving one of chabot/chychrun but not both. Also not really sold on Karlsson being the RD coming back. Would prefer a younger and heavier dude but I guess with retention down to say 7M I guess Karl makes some sense and we could find a physical 3rd pair D for cheap.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Josh Norris for Reilly Smith / Rickard Rakell / Ryan Graves + 2nd / 3rd

Ottawa dumps albatross contract. PIT sends back one of their contracts and depending on the contract receive a small incentive.

Smith for Norris + 2nd would be ideal from PIT’s end.
I don't think Norris is a "albatross" of a contract. He's better than all those pieces combined, even if you think he's overpaid a bit, he's still a top 6 center with a good ability to put pucks in the net, something we lack majorly. He'd probably be our best pure goal scorer.

Why is Norris's contract completely under water because of 50 games coming off pretty big injury? Let's give him more games before declaring for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00