Proposal: PIT - NSH

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
As a Pens fan, I would do it, but I also think Pittsburgh adds.

Not familiar enough with Nashville to know their needs.

I will say - something like this does feel very GMJR. I could absolutely see him exploring this exact deal.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Nah. Rather keep Granlund. Or just get a pick for him and then pay more to add someone better than Galchenyuk at the deadline. Galchenyuk is highly unlikely to move the needle at all in Nashville.

Reactions: preds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Damn I didn't realize Empo posted a similar trade.
I think that version with some other D advantage going to the Preds is needed to sell this to us. Per the post in our Nashville home board, I just don't have a strong sense that Galchenyuk brings anything new that we need - one top-6 winger that is struggling to produce out for another one doesn't really feature any selling point for us. At least while Granlund struggles to produce, he doesn't seem to be hurting us or playing particularly badly. I don't think we're really at the point of trading him just to see if something new sticks to the wall better. Not right now anyway - maybe give it another 6-8 weeks, say. :dunno:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Galchenyuk plays LW right? While I personally would rather hold on to Granlund it's not a bad idea

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I like the basis of this "change of scenery" idea for Nashville, however Galchenyuk may not be the 1st on that list. I really don't think Granlund is a bad player by any stretch, but I don't think anyone could deny the fact that so far THIS just hasn't worked out. I think at this point something dramatic would have to occur to make Granlund a consideration for a future contract. If you factor those 2 things in then it's really not a stretch to look at a change of scenery as even the best option.

I would prefer to add to Granlund to target Hall but there are probably other options that are also viable.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I think that version with some other D advantage going to the Preds is needed to sell this to us. Per the post in our Nashville home board, I just don't have a strong sense that Galchenyuk brings anything new that we need - one top-6 winger that is struggling to produce out for another one doesn't really feature any selling point for us. At least while Granlund struggles to produce, he doesn't seem to be hurting us or playing particularly badly. I don't think we're really at the point of trading him just to see if something new sticks to the wall better. Not right now anyway - maybe give it another 6-8 weeks, say. :dunno:
I'm not against adding, but I just think moving Schultz would be a terrible idea considering how often Letang is injured.

Galchenyuk plays LW right? While I personally would rather hold on to Granlund it's not a bad idea
Yes he can play both LW and RW.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Nashville is 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring. We need a 3rd pairing shutdown defender or 2, that is also a pk beast.

I was just saying earlier, I bet if DeMelo get's dealt, it will be to Nashville. He has been awesome for us and he's making under 1m this year. Not that Nashville is tight to the cap, but he wouldn't cut into their flexibility to make a larger deal whatsoever and he'd be an awesome depth option. Could play 2+mins a night on the PK, 15mins a night ES, and take on more minutes if injuries occur higher up on the depth chart.

How is Ron Hainsey playing and is he available from the Sens. That's the sort of guy I'd be interested in.

Hainsey is good. The word I'd use to describe him is solid. He has made some mistakes, and he is a slower than average, but his smarts and positioning are good, his passing is good, and he's good at holding the offensive zone and making smart plays.

DeMelo is the better player - he can be a good 2nd fiddle on your first pair, he can be half of a solid 2nd pair, or he can drive a 3rd pair. Hainsey, on the other hand, can be a solid 2nd fiddle on a 2nd pair or half of a solid 3rd pair. Both guys have made big impacts on solidifying our defensive play. They both spend most of their time between the dots and they don't chase guys nearly as much as a lot of our previous (and current) players do.

Last edited:
Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was just saying earlier, I bet if DeMelo get's dealt, it will be to Nashville. He has been awesome for us and he's making under 1m this year. Not that Nashville is tight to the cap, but he wouldn't cut into their flexibility to make a larger deal whatsoever and he'd be an awesome depth option. Could play 2+mins a night on the PK, 15mins a night ES, and take on more minutes if injuries occur higher up on the depth chart.

Hainsey is good. The word I'd use to describe him is solid. He has made some mistakes, and he is a slower than average, but his smarts and positioning are good, his passing is good, and he's good at holding the offensive zone and making smart plays.

DeMelo is the better player - he can be a good 2nd fiddle on your first pair, he can be half of a solid 2nd pair, or he can drive a 3rd pair. Hainsey, on the other hand, can be a solid 2nd fiddle on a 2nd pair or half of a solid 3rd pair. Both guys have made big impacts on solidifying our defensive play. They both spend most of their time between the dots and they don't chase guys nearly as much as a lot of our previous (and current) players do.
Useful info, thanks! Maybe we need to create a new thread for an OTT-NAS trade proposal, then! But for the sake of this thread topic - I think that's the sort of element that would help motivate us if we dealt Granlund. It's just I don't think the Pens really have that to offer... we don't want Jack Johnson or his term, and it seems like maybe Schultz is just a little bit too much of a reach. Whereas a Hainsey/DeMelo type would be a perfect fit.

Or maybe we can build some kind of epic HFBoards 3-way... Pens get what, Pageau or Granlund?... Preds get DeMelo or Hainsey, sprinkle in Bjugstad or Galchenyuk or other pieces to make something work?
:badidea:

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Or maybe we can build some kind of epic HFBoards 3-way... Pens get what, Pageau or Granlund?... Preds get DeMelo or Hainsey, sprinkle in Bjugstad or Galchenyuk or other pieces to make something work?
Yeah that would actually make a lot of sense. All three teams could benefit from this.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Makes the Kessel deal look awfully bad. Pass on this.

True, because the Kessel deal looks great right now. And of course, it's always extremely important to make future trades on the basis of how it may change the perception of a past trade. f*** improving your team. I like your thought process.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad