Proposal: PIT-MTL-NJ

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
PIT: Damon Severson + Max Pacioretty

MTL: Michael McLeod + Conor Sheary

NJ: Phil Kessel + Mike Reilly

MTL does this because they get their center prospect who was a top 12 pick in 2016. They also get some depth scoring. Patches appears to be on the market and probably won’t re-sign with the habs.

NJ does this because they are a team right on the cusp of being a legit contender and adding Phil Kessel without taking away any of their star forwards will help them get over the hump. Phil would open up some ice for Hall and Hischier. NJ is projected on CapFriendly to have a ton of space, they can add Phil and still make a huge push for Carlson or other FA defensemen.

PIT replaces Kessel’s scoring (to a degree) with Patches on the left side and adds a young D man with top 4 potential, even though he struggled down the stretch for NJ. A possible Letang trade may be in the future soon for PIT so Severson helps that. PIT also sheds enough cap to extend Patches long term and have some money to re-sign Guentzel.

Fair? Who says no?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not so sure New Jersey is looking to trade 2 players under the age of 25 for a winger on the wrong side of 30. We need to use assets to upgrade our defense, not remove it. Value wise, it isn't terrible though, just doesn't make sense for us.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
New Jersey says no without much hesitation.

Severson and McLeod are only moved if we're getting a serious LHD upgrade. I like Kessel, but purging those two for him doesn't make much sense.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I'm not so sure New Jersey is looking to trade 2 players under the age of 25 for a winger on the wrong side of 30. We need to use assets to upgrade our defense, not remove it. Value wise, it isn't terrible though, just doesn't make sense for us.
That’s fair. I just felt like watching NJ vs Tampa this year in the playoffs they looked real good and ready to compete, and Kessel would really help them.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I really like Kessel and we all know that we're pretty thin at right wing but I do like Jesper Bratt and adding Kessel would push Bratt out of our top #6, which wouldn't be a smart move IMO.

Like it was said previously, if we're moving Severson + McLeod, I want a top pairing LHD or a legit top #6 center coming back our way.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Value is horrible for PIT in a vaccuum. But there's no certainty with Patches contract. And Severson is a nice piece but as a right shot, would be on the third pairing for use. Thats not worth trading Kessel for. Furthermore I dont think Severson is good enough to make a Letang trade a possibility.

Kessel and Sheary is a loss of 50-60 goals. Unless theres enough cap flexibility for a goal scoring winger... I am not sure this is a net positive for the Pens.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins say no rather easily, IMHO. I think Jersey does too. And Montreal.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Except taking away one of our two good young defenseman and one of our young center prospects for a 31 year old winger with 4 more years at nearly 7 million goes completely against the organizations philosophy and doesn’t make us better in the long run?

Yea sounds like that totally makes sense.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Don't see Montreal accepting. I like Sheary a lot, but even without Pacioretty Montreal is loaded with left wingers. McLeod is a decent prospect, but I'm not the deal in full makes sense for Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad