Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Marcus Pettersson re-signs with Penguins (1 year, $874,125)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Didn't actually see him last year, and Pittsburgh fan seems pleased with him.

Can someone tell me about him? I just know prospect reports.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Didn't actually see him last year, and Pittsburgh fan seems pleased with him.

Can someone tell me about him? I just know prospect reports.

Solid defensively, can move the puck up the ice relatively well, and seems to have a bit of untapped offensive potential.

Expected to play top four minutes this year, probably next to Schultz on the second pairing.

Reactions: domaug

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Solid defensively, can move the puck up the ice relatively well, and seems to have a bit of untapped offensive potential.

Expected to play top four minutes this year, probably next to Schultz on the second pairing.

From what I've read, he seems to reached his potential that scouting reports attached to him.

That's not saying that he couldn't still improve. How's his hockey IQ at the NHL level?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
From what I've read, he seems to reached his potential that scouting reports attached to him.

That's not saying that he couldn't still improve. How's his hockey IQ at the NHL level?

Probably his best attribute. Strong decision maker. Good anticipation on both sides of the puck. Heady defender. He’s smart offensively (like 30-35 point type upside imo) but not necessarily creative or aggressive.

Simple, calm player if that makes any sense.

He can make a decent outlet but I’d put it this way: Pettersson is most likely the guy who you want paired with the puck mover, instead of asking him to be the actual PMD himself.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I really hope we give this dude the bag ASAP. He’s really doing the Pens a solid by signing this deal. Obviously he’s betting on himself to an extent as well, but he got boned pretty hard this Summer with the idiotic Tanev signing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think a lot of people underrating the ceiling he has. I think a big concern with him is how good his offense would be at the NHL level and whether he could handle the physicality in the NHL. I think he has already surpassed offensive expectations put on him, and his reach, speed and hockey IQ allows him to deal with a lot of physicality in the NHL.

I think Pettersson is a jack of all trades guy, he's an exceptionally well rounded defenseman who can either be a partner for a talented OFD, a physical DFD or anything in between. I think the best description of him as a player is a 2-way PMD. I legitimately think he has top pair upside, probably in a similar mold to Paul Martin.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Steal and a half, dude is going to get PAID next off-season though. He's going to be arguably as good as Dumoulin this year.

Hopefully they sign him up January 1st but the lack of cap flexibility cost us the chance to lock him in cheaply for 3/4 years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

It's good. He's making the right plays at the right time. He just needs to bulk up a bit. So far the Dumoulin comparison is tracking rather well (stylistically). Isn't flashy (aka Letang like), but moves the puck up the ice well and chips in enough offensively (better than Dumo at this). And most of last season he was dragging around Jack Johnson. And when he wasn't with him, he was making Gudbranson look like a #3D.

Hopefully he can keep things up. But if he plays like he did last season going forward (even with the meh physical strength in the DZ) Pen fans will be pretty happy with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad