Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Juuso Riikola signs extension (2 years, $1.15M AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That is...uh, surprising I'd say.

I guess it's a fine amount of money for a #7D, but I really don't get the vibe that Sullivan trusts him much. Also, where are these changes to the defense if you just keep everyone and re-sign all of your UFAs and RFAs?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Riikola is excellent defensively. He deserves a consistent spot in the lineup next year.

Reactions: Son Goku

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Riikola is excellent defensively. He deserves a consistent spot in the lineup next year.

No he's not.

Riikola is an adventure defensively and has a tendency to make boneheaded decisions that lead to odd-man breaks. He's definitely better than Johnson so he should be in over Johnson, but him putting up great analytical results in a super sheltered role doesn't make him excellent defensively.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
No he's not.

Riikola is an adventure defensively and has a tendency to make boneheaded decisions that lead to odd-man breaks. He's definitely better than Johnson so he should be in over Johnson, but him putting up great analytical results in a super sheltered role doesn't make him excellent defensively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You posting Riikola's analytics doesn't disprove what I said at all. Literally the last sentence was "him putting up great analytical results in a super sheltered role doesn't make him excellent defensively"

Look at his QoC, he got baby soft minutes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That is...uh, surprising I'd say.

I guess it's a fine amount of money for a #7D, but I really don't get the vibe that Sullivan trusts him much. Also, where are these changes to the defense if you just keep everyone and re-sign all of your UFAs and RFAs?

Considering Sullivan's absolute refusal to use him, this seems like a waste of money and cap space to me.

And this is coming from someone who is a fan of his. I just think that signing a guy who Sullivan, for whatever reason, has zero interest in playing is dumb at this point.

Totally get it from Riikola's point of view. Even if he's sitting in the stands for the next two seasons, he's getting paid a lot more money to do that than go back home and play.

Reactions: ownal

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
SolidTotalArgusfish-max-1mb.gif

Happy that he was signed again

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Nice little deal for Riikola.
Had really good possession numbers for a replacement bottom pairing defenseman.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's a good player to have. Tons of tools, plays tough, Can skate, shoot...

If he was a smarter player he would be a top 4 guy.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No he's not.

He is a capable 6/7 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad