Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Valtteri Puustinen signs extension with the Penguins (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Very wrong people will say "Sullivan", even though he famously plays younger players (that are worth playing) and is actually highly respected for his thoughts on developing young talent (it's featured by USA Hockey, in fact).

The real answer is Puustinen is a 5'9" winger with average skating. Not necessarily from a pure speed perspective, from his stride fluidity and just overall athleticism, it's the small area stuff that he's not good at and it greatly reduces his ability. It's really noticeable in his skill chaining, it has to hit on the rhythm of his dominant foot in order for it to have any chance of success...otherwise, he's losing the puck or he's getting knocked off of it...

In WBS, where there are exactly 0 skill players that are worth a damn...he has to really pick his spots, while still being a play driver...that's too much for him to manage consistently. So, sometimes he slinks back into being a - I don't know - like a Teemu Pulkkinen type...which is fine, because he can shoot (not as well as Pulkkinen, but it's a good shot...) but he's way better if he can just focus on his "A" game because he really doesn't have a "B" game, that's why he was so effective with a playmaker like Petri Kontiola because Kontiola has pace control and Puustinen doesn't. So the game gets too fast for Puustinen and then he fails.

I found a note from July 2021 that I had made about him, it still holds for me...
"
It's weird, he's just not that impactful compared to his numbers. I like that he doesn't score a lot of "junior" goals. The goals that he scores have some pop to them, he scores from in-close or he scores PP one-timers or catch and release goals. But none of this really looks NHL quality. It's good, but it's not quite good enough for me.

We signed him, which you'd expect when you draft a 20 year old. You usually have a sense that you're gonna be able to bring him over. I think he'll do well in the AHL, but I have doubts about his NHL ability right now."

##

He was a 60/40 "sure, I'll qualify him because there's nothing else going on in WBS and he's not in anyone's way..." but when he goes back to Finland next year, I don't think I'm gonna burn a candle for him...

I think everything about this post has aged as well as Mike Sullivan’s coaching the last 4 years.

I pretty much value Farkas's opinion more than most so I'd like to see what they say about Puustinen this season. @Michael Farkas ?

For one, I was skeptical on Puustinen doing anything at the NHL level after his pretty decent season last year and slow AHL start this one.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't think I focused on him in my AHL watchings this year to be honest. I know he got off to a horrid start, he had like 1 point in his first 10 games or whatever, right? I'll comment on the hundred or so minutes I've seen in the NHL so far...and it's really basically an expansion on what I said above already. He's in a spot where he doesn't have to manage anything, he can just focus on his "A" game without being a play driver. I think he looks a touch quicker, and that might be enough. He can get to pucks a little quicker, his closing speed on puck retrievals is just a touch quicker and that's huge for him.

It's tough to be 5'9", just average-ish feet, and not super dynamic in space. But this is a really good spot for him - doesn't have to carry a puck, doesn't get the attention of a player that will finish the play (71 and Smith can really shoot too)...so he can just play "weightless" in a way, and he's good enough and smart enough to not have plays die with him. And that's another big part of the equation for getting players into the right spots in the lineup...who is a play killer? You get a puck to Zohorna, for instance, you're not getting it back...Puustinen has just enough going for him to keep things alive, which is all those guys need. The most impressive thing I've seen from him is actually his puck poise (and really his overall hockey IQ package). He's not rushing it, which might have ended this experiment already...he looks fairly comfortable on the half wall surveying things and just making the simple play and moving off the puck to support things well. That's a really nice bonus at this level for me, because I thought he had the puck so much in WBS out of necessity because there was no one else around...it turns out that it might be somewhat transferable, which would be huge.

Obviously, I don't think his numbers in this small sample are representing his impact...I'm not sure anyone thinks this is a player playing "60 point hockey" but he doesn't have to to be a success...we've seen over the years that the Malkin third wheel can be real hit or miss, and he's made no bones (in his play) about simply not passing to the winger he doesn't like, he'll take pucks from him and then ignore him haha (Eric Tangradi comes to mind...well, not for Geno) - that's not happening with Puustinen, which is a good sign.

He doesn't have the "pop gun" skill of Sheary - another also-ran that got a look in a big spot and made it work - but I think Puustinen has a better shot (how about the first NHL goal, eh?) and better puck poise...and although Sheary was faster, at least Puustinen doesn't fall down all the time haha

In short, I like duos at forward because I think whole lines are difficult to put together consistently in this league...I need my third guy to not kill plays. Puustinen isn't killing any plays. I like that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think I focused on him in my AHL watchings this year to be honest. I know he got off to a horrid start, he had like 1 point in his first 10 games or whatever, right? I'll comment on the hundred or so minutes I've seen in the NHL so far...and it's really basically an expansion on what I said above already. He's in a spot where he doesn't have to manage anything, he can just focus on his "A" game without being a play driver. I think he looks a touch quicker, and that might be enough. He can get to pucks a little quicker, his closing speed on puck retrievals is just a touch quicker and that's huge for him.

It's tough to be 5'9", just average-ish feet, and not super dynamic in space. But this is a really good spot for him - doesn't have to carry a puck, doesn't get the attention of a player that will finish the play (71 and Smith can really shoot too)...so he can just play "weightless" in a way, and he's good enough and smart enough to not have plays die with him. And that's another big part of the equation for getting players into the right spots in the lineup...who is a play killer? You get a puck to Zohorna, for instance, you're not getting it back...Puustinen has just enough going for him to keep things alive, which is all those guys need. The most impressive thing I've seen from him is actually his puck poise (and really his overall hockey IQ package). He's not rushing it, which might have ended this experiment already...he looks fairly comfortable on the half wall surveying things and just making the simple play and moving off the puck to support things well. That's a really nice bonus at this level for me, because I thought he had the puck so much in WBS out of necessity because there was no one else around...it turns out that it might be somewhat transferable, which would be huge.

Obviously, I don't think his numbers in this small sample are representing his impact...I'm not sure anyone thinks this is a player playing "60 point hockey" but he doesn't have to to be a success...we've seen over the years that the Malkin third wheel can be real hit or miss, and he's made no bones (in his play) about simply not passing to the winger he doesn't like, he'll take pucks from him and then ignore him haha (Eric Tangradi comes to mind...well, not for Geno) - that's not happening with Puustinen, which is a good sign.

He doesn't have the "pop gun" skill of Sheary - another also-ran that got a look in a big spot and made it work - but I think Puustinen has a better shot (how about the first NHL goal, eh?) and better puck poise...and although Sheary was faster, at least Puustinen doesn't fall down all the time haha

In short, I like duos at forward because I think whole lines are difficult to put together consistently in this league...I need my third guy to not kill plays. Puustinen isn't killing any plays. I like that.

He was dropped to the 3rd line last game.

I'm with Randy. I'll trust your opinion on our fringe players typically because I simply don't have the experience you do in terms of watching players from the ground up, but I've really liked his game.

Plus, Big Puusy as a nickname will stick eventually.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
He was dropped to the 3rd line last game.
Yeah, I noticed that he only took a shift or two with Malkin last game, and instead was with Eller. I don't think that's going to be a match. That puts a lot of pressure on Puustinen to retrieve pucks and win board battles. I don't know if that's going to be a medium term success. Eller is a relatively poor puck distributor. Zohorna is not an NHL player. So, there isn't a lot of opportunity to keep plays alive and utilize his puck poise.

We'll see where it goes, obviously...given the lack of depth on this roster, finding any additional forward that doesn't make a mess of things is a big win right now...

Reactions: The Old Master

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I'm just riding this high of success from a young guy. He seems to do better with his skillset than the nerds Iike Harkins and Zohorna who might have a string of a few games before going back to mediocrity.

Reactions: Remparts666

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He's just a soft euro player with some skill. I understand we need some help in the top 6, specifically a winger but he isn't the answer.

Think Domink Kahun but not as good.
Probably not long until he's back in Europe

• Haha
Reactions: jonu

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he has been getting 4 - 6 minutes of ice time per game of late... what a joke of a coach...

He was sooooo noticeable on the ice too and creating chances on the PP when he was getting alot of mins... Now all of a sudden his ice time got cut waaaaaay down.. just bizzare.

May as well just send him back to the AHL now and get him playing big mins

Reactions: mattihp

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
i disagree
When's the last time a player that came out of where he did in Finland have any type of success in the NHL?

He wasn't even a standout in the league and there have been far better players with much less success.

I would love for him to be some type of answer for a winger on the top 6 but I don't see it and neither does the staff at the moment

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
When's the last time a player that came out of where he did in Finland have any type of success in the NHL?

He wasn't even a standout in the league and there have been far better players with much less success.

I would love for him to be some type of answer for a winger on the top 6 but I don't see it and neither does the staff at the moment
Puustinen scored 41 points in 51 games in Liiga, Finland. Barkov scored 48 points in 53 games in Liiga. Obviously a bit different draft pedigree and age, but saying it cant be done is also crazy.

Reactions: domaug and mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Puustinen scored 41 points in 51 games in Liiga, Finland. Barkov scored 48 points in 53 games in Liiga. Obviously a bit different draft pedigree and age, but saying it cant be done is also crazy.
Or why not Laine.

46gp 17g 16a in Liiga
73gp 36g 28a in the NHL the following season. With more back pain than his last Liiga season.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He also followed that up in NA with a 20 goal/42 point rookie AHL season an 24 goal/59 point 2nd season. It's not like he's some kind of fluke that has come out of nowhere, his offensive development has been steady and very encouraging. I feel like people just see 7th round pick and write him off because of that.

The Pens need depth scoring badly and have for several years. Having a player like Puustinen come up and produce like he has in WBS is found money and Mike Sullivan is just throwing it in the garbage can.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Liiga and I was more so referencing draft pedigree. He was a 7th rounder, sure there are misses by scouts.

I don't believe Puustinen is one of them
Well, there are loads of good players that came through Liiga, and even though I agree where he was drafted says hes a long shot to make it, everything he's done since then should indicate he was drafted to low, in my opinion at least. His last two seasons in Liiga was very productive for someone his age, and he has pretty decent numbers on some crappy WBS teams as well, so seeing as he's allso produced when given a chance in the NHL, I don't understand how the coaching staff can justify playing him 6-7min all of a sudden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad