Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Valtteri Puustinen signs extension with the Penguins (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Curious why he hasn't gotten a look yet with the Pens. He seemed to pop in some of the WBS games I saw this year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Curious why he hasn't gotten a look yet with the Pens. He seemed to pop in some of the WBS games I saw this year.
Because Sullivan and company are morons.

Guy should have been getting games two years ago. Hard not to be better than the trash we kept constantly sending out there.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If pens won't give him a shot I'd shoot them a 7th and take him

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Very wrong people will say "Sullivan", even though he famously plays younger players (that are worth playing) and is actually highly respected for his thoughts on developing young talent (it's featured by USA Hockey, in fact).

The real answer is Puustinen is a 5'9" winger with average skating. Not necessarily from a pure speed perspective, from his stride fluidity and just overall athleticism, it's the small area stuff that he's not good at and it greatly reduces his ability. It's really noticeable in his skill chaining, it has to hit on the rhythm of his dominant foot in order for it to have any chance of success...otherwise, he's losing the puck or he's getting knocked off of it...

In WBS, where there are exactly 0 skill players that are worth a damn...he has to really pick his spots, while still being a play driver...that's too much for him to manage consistently. So, sometimes he slinks back into being a - I don't know - like a Teemu Pulkkinen type...which is fine, because he can shoot (not as well as Pulkkinen, but it's a good shot...) but he's way better if he can just focus on his "A" game because he really doesn't have a "B" game, that's why he was so effective with a playmaker like Petri Kontiola because Kontiola has pace control and Puustinen doesn't. So the game gets too fast for Puustinen and then he fails.

I found a note from July 2021 that I had made about him, it still holds for me...
"
It's weird, he's just not that impactful compared to his numbers. I like that he doesn't score a lot of "junior" goals. The goals that he scores have some pop to them, he scores from in-close or he scores PP one-timers or catch and release goals. But none of this really looks NHL quality. It's good, but it's not quite good enough for me.

We signed him, which you'd expect when you draft a 20 year old. You usually have a sense that you're gonna be able to bring him over. I think he'll do well in the AHL, but I have doubts about his NHL ability right now."

##

He was a 60/40 "sure, I'll qualify him because there's nothing else going on in WBS and he's not in anyone's way..." but when he goes back to Finland next year, I don't think I'm gonna burn a candle for him...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Has some intriguing offensive talent. I wish him the best when he inevitably goes back to Finland next year after another 80 games in WBS.
Very wrong people will say "Sullivan", even though he famously plays younger players (that are worth playing) and is actually highly respected for his thoughts on developing young talent (it's featured by USA Hockey, in fact).
Considering USA hockey's past choices for head coaches (Bylsma), I'm not sure they're this big authority on determining quality of coaches. They just seem to be high on whatever American coach at that specific moment has won a Cup lately, regardless of whether or not that coach is actually any good.

As for playing younger players, sure, as long as they play his style. If you're a "PK guy who grinds and can slot in as a bottom six checker" you're golden with Sullivan. But if you're a guy who has to be brought along slowly and sheltered in a top six role but if given a chance can actually *be* a top six scorer, good luck elsewhere.

*Note: this wasn't always the case. Not sure what happened to Sullivan between the 2016/2017 seasons when guys like Sheary and Guentzel got long looks versus how he coaches young skill guys from around 2019 and on.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
*Note: this wasn't always the case. Not sure what happened to Sullivan between the 2016/2017 seasons when guys like Sheary and Guentzel got long looks versus how he coaches young skill guys from around 2019 and on.
Rust, Sheary, and Murray all played under Sully in WBS and were key players in the early Sullivan Cup years. Guentzel likely didn't come to WBS until Sully was promoted, but he is also the last prospect the Pens have had that was just too good to ignore.

Reactions: Giskard

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Considering USA hockey's past choices for head coaches (Bylsma), I'm not sure they're this big authority on determining quality of coaches. They just seem to be high on whatever American coach at that specific moment has won a Cup lately, regardless of whether or not that coach is actually any good.
I'm talking about coaching clinics and continuing learning. Not about superficial stuff like national team duty and the like. Having heard them both speak, Sullivan really, really knows the game.

Re: The whole grinder thing. I think we've been down this road before, but...extremely soft one-way small winger Conor Sheary was famously on the top line with another soft one-way young winger as rookies or faux rookies in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Olli Maatta got 20 minutes as a child. The list is longer than the talent that got skipped over.

This isn't the venue for this stuff...but it's very, very obviously a talent problem in the organization, not a coaching problem. Sullivan has adapted his style so many times to adjust to these random rosters that GMJR and GMRH have created...there's been so many adaptations to try to bring out the best in players, it's been very impressive. The problem is, the talent is gone....there's nothing in the pro system. Zip. That's why Hextall resorted to bringing in zany characters like Mr. Furley from Three's Company for a 2nd round pick...to, as you may know, series-canceling results...

Reactions: andora

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The real answer is Puustinen is a 5'9" winger with average skating. Not necessarily from a pure speed perspective, from his stride fluidity and just overall athleticism, it's the small area stuff that he's not good at and it greatly reduces his ability. It's really noticeable in his skill chaining, it has to hit on the rhythm of his dominant foot in order for it to have any chance of success...otherwise, he's losing the puck or he's getting knocked off of it...

In WBS, where there are exactly 0 skill players that are worth a damn...he has to really pick his spots, while still being a play driver...that's too much for him to manage consistently. So, sometimes he slinks back into being a - I don't know - like a Teemu Pulkkinen type...which is fine, because he can shoot (not as well as Pulkkinen, but it's a good shot...) but he's way better if he can just focus on his "A" game because he really doesn't have a "B" game, that's why he was so effective with a playmaker like Petri Kontiola because Kontiola has pace control and Puustinen doesn't. So the game gets too fast for Puustinen and then he fails.

I found a note from July 2021 that I had made about him, it still holds for me...
"
It's weird, he's just not that impactful compared to his numbers. I like that he doesn't score a lot of "junior" goals. The goals that he scores have some pop to them, he scores from in-close or he scores PP one-timers or catch and release goals. But none of this really looks NHL quality. It's good, but it's not quite good enough for me.

We signed him, which you'd expect when you draft a 20 year old. You usually have a sense that you're gonna be able to bring him over. I think he'll do well in the AHL, but I have doubts about his NHL ability right now."

##

He was a 60/40 "sure, I'll qualify him because there's nothing else going on in WBS and he's not in anyone's way..." but when he goes back to Finland next year, I don't think I'm gonna burn a candle for him...

Appreciate the feedback.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Appreciate the feedback.
No sweat. I have it my head that you're a Sabres fan (forgive me if that's untrue), but if you're still interested in taking a chance on him...I'd swap him for the rights to Jake Richard, as that would just restart the lifecycle on Puustinen, effectively.

Failing that, I'd accept the rights to Aaron Huglen and a conditional 7th...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No sweat. I have it my head that you're a Sabres fan (forgive me if that's untrue), but if you're still interested in taking a chance on him...I'd swap him for the rights to Jake Richard, as that would just restart the lifecycle on Puustinen, effectively.

Failing that, I'd accept the rights to Aaron Huglen and a conditional 7th...

Yeah, that's correct about fandom. I just live somewhere far from anything and wind up watching an inordinate amount of hockey to self-medicate in the boredom. Or something. :biglaugh: I have the AHL package and look in on other games from time to time, thus the WBS thing.

Seriously though, I think they have someone of similar ilk in Weissbach in Rochester who has enough zip in his skating and reinvented his game to higher traffic areas/more defensive responsibility that they probably don't need more. I'm still hoping that Huglen decides to turn pro - even with his back issues, there seems like the bones of a possible utility forward there based on his play in checking roles with the Gophers. He may also wind up just being a graduate UFA next summer so he can choose to go where he would like.

And I would have to say no to Richard or face the wrath of some members of the Sabre board. Seems he still has runway to keep building out his game, good touch around the net and in traffic areas which they don't have a lot of. Liked what I saw with Tri-City after the trade, looking forward to what he can do at UConn this year.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
His very ceiling is Sakari Manninen, albeit a bit different styles. Manninen wasn't even given a chance last season with the Golden Knights

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ive been able to catch 2 of his games on tv since being called up and he is fitting in nicely. Very noticeable and getting alot of PP time

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

"

##

I think everything about this post has aged as well as Mike Sullivan’s coaching the last 4 years.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm very very shocked that MS is actually giving him all these responsibilities and PP time, this has never been done before from him since being coach here. Hopefully it continues after some of the injured players get back, Puusti belongs here

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
6 career games, 5 points, sure its a small sample size but... maybe they should have called him up sooner and not let him stay that long in the A.
And the power play has massively improved with him on the top unit. A few lucky bounces, yes, but 6 PP goals in 4 games after a big fat 0 for nearly a month is quite the change.

But this only happened because of the injury crisis since Sullivan is, surprise, surprise, a dinosaur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad