Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Lars Eller signs with the Penguins (2 years, $2.45M AAV)

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Dubas found his newest Kerfoot/Jarnkrok style Swiss army knife player. He loves having someone who can play anywhere in the lineup.

Too bad that was Eller 4 years ago, not today. This is a mistake in day 1.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He may not be the player he was a while ago, but there are still worse things to spend money on than a bottom-6 Center who can kill some penalties, take some defensive minutes, etc. That seemed to be a problem with Carter as a 3C where that's not really his jam. So going out and getting some guys who can actually alleviate that pressure from Crosby and Malkin seems alright.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Good for Lars for sticking around and getting paid some more. He’ll be best if he’s your 4C and you let him PK. Anything more than that and he’ll get overwhelmed but you could do a lot worse than Lars as a 4C.

Doesn’t Pittsburgh already have two bottom six centers though in Carter and Acciari?
And we also have Granlund. Dubas did the impossible here and somehow gave this bottom-6 even less of an identity.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Mentioned this in another thread but I like the veteran / leadership role he’s seemed to accept right away. He’s not here for that and this group shouldn’t need it but he’s been talking to the media despite being new to the team, taking ownership when they weren’t playing well, and backing it up with his play.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Mentioned this in another thread but I like the veteran / leadership role he’s seemed to accept right away. He’s not here for that and this group shouldn’t need it but he’s been vocal to the media despite being new to the team, taking ownership when they weren’t playing well, and backing it up with his play.
He's been doing that since he was a rookie.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Eller looks very competent in his role. He reminds me a little of Matt Cullen, another guy whose signing raised the ire of some Pens fans since it seemed redundant. He's not going to knock your socks off, but he's an effective bottom 6 center who makes his linemates better.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Eller looks very competent in his role. He reminds me a little of Matt Cullen, another guy whose signing raised the ire of some Pens fans since it seemed redundant. He's not going to knock your socks off, but he's an effective bottom 6 center who makes his linemates better.
Yep. That Matt Cullen type is just what I´ve been thinking. He´s been awesome in me eyes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Happy to see that The Tiger is bouncing back and playing well. Figured he’d do well as a 4C but that his 3C days were behind him so good for him. He looked completely washed last year but then again, most of the Caps did playing under Laviolette. That was just a coach/roster match that seemed to make sense on paper but never meshed in real life.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eller has been excellent on his own, but I don't think it can be understated how good of a duo that he and Zohorna have been. Even with Eller playing well to start the year, the 3rd line was really struggling when it was Harkins-Eller-O'Connor. But ever since Zohorna was called up and put on that line, the duo has been an absolute monster:

-3.85 GF/60 and 4.11 xGF/60
-1.54 GA/60 and 2.42 xGA/60
-71.43% GF% and 62.98% xGF%
-31.11% offensive zone start%

They're getting pretty tough defensive assignments and are just absolutely killing it in the role. It's only a 9 game sample size, but this 3rd line has been the best Penguins 3rd line in a really long time so far.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Eller has been excellent on his own, but I don't think it can be understated how good of a duo that he and Zohorna have been. Even with Eller playing well to start the year, the 3rd line was really struggling when it was Harkins-Eller-O'Connor. But ever since Zohorna was called up and put on that line, the duo has been an absolute monster:

-3.85 GF/60 and 4.11 xGF/60
-1.54 GA/60 and 2.42 xGA/60
-71.43% GF% and 62.98% xGF%
-31.11% offensive zone start%

They're getting pretty tough defensive assignments and are just absolutely killing it in the role. It's only a 9 game sample size, but this 3rd line has been the best Penguins 3rd line in a really long time so far.
It's criminal that they took a last minute waiver wire gamble on Harkins and sent down Zohorna to do it. Tell me they don't win at least one more game at the beginning of the season if that trio was in place from the start. It's magical. None of those guys are very physical, but it's jarring for Eller to be the short guy on the line at 6'2". The size makes for a totally different dynamic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad