PTO: [PIT] F Austin Wagner, D Mark Pysyk, and D Libor Hajek sign PTOs with the Penguins

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can Hajek do anything other than...skate yet? Or is that still pretty much it? A modern day Matt Bartkowski?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can Hajek do anything other than...skate yet? Or is that still pretty much it? A modern day Matt Bartkowski?

No offence in any competition except when being given prime time in the WHL (even then 0.47 PPG) and that one year in the WJC-20 (1.14 PPG) and the Memorial Cup (0.60 PPG).

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's had a lot of brain fart moments where he's way out of position. He never got a steady shot, but then again, when he was given a chance, it felt like ever turnover, bad play, or pinch, led to a goal scored against. I don't see anything more than a 7th D when I watch him.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's had a lot of brain fart moments where he's way out of position. He never got a steady shot, but then again, when he was given a chance, it felt like ever turnover, bad play, or pinch, led to a goal scored against. I don't see anything more than a 7th D when I watch him.

Yeah. Sounds more or less like what i saw the last time i bothered to really follow his development at all. Just stalled out as one of those players who skates miles while doing...nothing in particular. Outside of occasionally skating miles out of position.

Man Hajek was progressing so well until we sent him to development hell with the Rangers.

Too bad. Back in Jrs i thought his skating was gonna allow him to be something. Whether it's a developmental derailment, or just one of those players where the hockey sense/anticipation was covered up at lower levels by the skating to bail himself out...sounds like he hasn't really progressed at all from the time he jumped to Pro in the Rangers system.

Feels like you could still probably do worse for a preseason/organizational depth body than a guy who at least has decent size and solid NHL level movement skills to keep pace. Could probably also pretty easily do better. I guess that's why he's on a PTO. :laugh:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Mark Pysyk was a 3rd pairing dman for years on Florida and was terrible. So bad in fact, that for his last year Q converted him to a 4th liner. And he honestly wasn't bad. Actually got a hatty vs the Leafs playing wing.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah. Sounds more or less like what i saw the last time i bothered to really follow his development at all. Just stalled out as one of those players who skates miles while doing...nothing in particular. Outside of occasionally skating miles out of position.

Too bad. Back in Jrs i thought his skating was gonna allow him to be something. Whether it's a developmental derailment, or just one of those players where the hockey sense/anticipation was covered up at lower levels by the skating to bail himself out...sounds like he hasn't really progressed at all from the time he jumped to Pro in the Rangers system.

Feels like you could still probably do worse for a preseason/organizational depth body than a guy who at least has decent size and solid NHL level movement skills to keep pace. Could probably also pretty easily do better. I guess that's why he's on a PTO. :laugh:

His stock rose significantly from his draft to draft +2 year with the Pats and the WJC he had that year, then he hit the Rangers and plummeted.

Reactions: biturbo19

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens sent away Petry and Rutta to bring in Karlsson, so there is a spot available at 3RD. Ruhwedel and Friedman are options but not ideal as everyday players. One of Smith or POJ could also play off hand but those two together isn't an ideal pairing. Behind Letang and Karlsson it's maybe a 10 min a night gig, and I don't mind the Pens tossing a few PTOs around looking to strike gold.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
His stock rose significantly from his draft to draft +2 year with the Pats and the WJC he had that year, then he hit the Rangers and plummeted.

It's so hard to completely extricate development from traits in some cases.

I always thought of Hajek as a somewhat less physical Brendan Guhle. Look where he's ended up? Two extremely talented skater defencemen who just never seemed to quite have the ability to transition from that. Matt Bartkowski is the older example who actually got a bunch of NHL games in over the years. But sometimes these great skaters just don't have it. Sometimes you're left wondering though...did their development path accentuate the problems?

Especially when you see Brendan Guhle fail out, while his brother Kaiden is looking on track to be a really solid Top-4 NHL defenceman. A lot of really similar traits...but is the difference the developmental situation or the innate talent?

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Pens sent away Petry and Rutta to bring in Karlsson, so there is a spot available at 3RD. Ruhwedel and Friedman are options but not ideal as everyday players. One of Smith or POJ could also play off hand but those two together isn't an ideal pairing. Behind Letang and Karlsson it's maybe a 10 min a night gig, and I don't mind the Pens tossing a few PTOs around looking to strike gold.
Spot on. Perhaps EK65 can share his achilles rehab routine with Pysyk. Don't mind this low-risk PTO signing on a former 1st round pick like him. Hajek, who went 37th overall, is a bit of the same idea.

The idea behind these PTOs is solid, even though Sully will assuredly put Ruhwedel in that 6D spot.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think playing Ek and especially Letang that much is pretty dumb. Letang needs to be at 20-22 mins, and it's so obvious. He needs his minutes cut, so does an aging EK.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Hajek will be fine. For some reason he was one of the only people held accountable for making young dman mistakes in the Ranger Organeyezation. He would make an mistake and sit forever. A team that knows that's part of the process will make something out of him.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I think playing Ek and especially Letang that much is pretty dumb. Letang needs to be at 20-22 mins, and it's so obvious. He needs his minutes cut, so does an aging EK.
Agreed, but having a revolving door of Ruhwedel/Pysyk/Hajek for our 6D pretty much ensures Tanger and EK65 will be combining for 50+ most nights. I think Dubas himself even said that 50+ number in one of the press conferences.

Maybe POJ-Smith pans out for the 3rd pairing. All of this falls on Mike friggin Sullivan so no worries dudes.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Penguins wanted to acquire a former Cat but Dubas misheard as acquiring a cat and started going "Pysyk Pysyk Pysyk" and everyone just went along with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Peat and NYR94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad