Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Derek Grant signs with the Penguins (1 year, $650K)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's a wierd player. Great at faceoffs. Great at skating. Absolutely dangerous wrist shot. Plenty of size and strength on the cycle. Decent vision.

But something's just off about him. I think maybe he just isn't a center yet keeps being used as one. Try him as a LHS RW and see if that helps.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Grant is not a great player by any stretch, however to those a few pages ago saying "played 86 games without scoring a goal..." he actually did score a few goals during that stretch but every one of them (3 or 4) were waived off, it was actually getting to the point of being comical.

Reactions: iSophagus

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
fricken BM... what an idiot for not re-signing Grant at that cost, or even a bit more. especially after his recent, useless acquisitions. I don't know what the hell he is smoking lately.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Like hell Jimmy Hayes is making this team over Sprong.
People get wayyy to worked up on mock lines. I only put him there because I don't think you or the Pittsburgh Penguins organization would waste Sprong on the 4th line with Cullen & Grant...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Pens have 3 fourth line centers as of now - Cullen, Sheahan and Grant. You have to think a trade is brewing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Pens have 3 fourth line centers as of now - Cullen, Sheahan and Grant. You have to think a trade is brewing.

Or the Pens want good depth at center because injuries happen? You complained all last year about the bottom six center depth. Now they've got multiple options to ice a very good bottom six.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Or the Pens want good depth at center because injuries happen? You complained all last year about the bottom six center depth. Now they've got multiple options to ice a very good bottom six.
I’m not complaining this year, besides Johnson, this offseason has been very positive. Last year was a train wreck from day 1, and people underestimated how poorly our depth was going into last season.

Injuries do happen, but having 3 fourth line centers seems a bit overkill that it makes me wonder if Jimmy has something up his sleeve.

I think this has the potential to be his best signing this summer.

JR did awful last summer but he found a way to undo his mistakes, so good for him.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
In baseball you've got the AAAA guys.
Too good for AAA but not really good enough to carve out a long term roster spot in the Show.

To me Grant is probably a little to good for the A, certainly nothing to prove there but not good enough where he's guaranteed to see his name written in own on an NHL teams lineup card night after night.

Also Pens a seemingly odd choice.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why would Anaheim sign Carter Rowney to a multi year deal but not Grant???

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He's a wierd player. Great at faceoffs. Great at skating. Absolutely dangerous wrist shot. Plenty of size and strength on the cycle. Decent vision.

But something's just off about him. I think maybe he just isn't a center yet keeps being used as one. Try him as a LHS RW and see if that helps.

He has what they called "Sam Bennett" decease....Always looks better than he produces. Something is missing, maybe connective tissue in the brain.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What can you get for 2 4th line centers recently pulled off the scrap heap? Probably not much.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
From PPG article about his signing:

The Penguins don’t really have a job open for him, although he could conceivably compete for fourth-line time in training camp. A much better way of looking at the signing: It provides the Penguins with a player who has suited up for NHL games, should injuries occur.

Unless there is a bigger trade coming, it still doesnt make too much sense. It is not a 2 way deal, so they wont send him to WB/S, and I doubt he would have signed with pens if he was to be healthy scratch most of the time. Maybe pens were only team that offered him a contract and he had no choice but to to sign, who knows.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Teams need center and defensive depth. Not every signing has to have some deep meaning.

Pens signed Grant so they’re clearly trading brassard. GTFO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad