Proposal: PIT/CBJ Swap

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Right, Werenski and Gavrikov is a pretty solid one-two punch at LD.

The bigger issue right now appears to be that Savard has fallen off, at least temporarily, and Andrew Peeke isn't ready for top 4 minutes. So that still leaves the Jackets one short on solid top 4 guys. In any case, Dumo is an improvement because it means less minutes for the mess of Harry/Carlsson/Kukan/MDZ, etc...

There is a handedness issue but chances are that at least one of Werenski/Gavrikov/Dumo can play well on the right side. It's not the most perfect fit but when you get a player of that caliber it's an improvement.

Gavrikov-Jones
Dumoulin-Werenski?

Dumoulin-Jones
Werenski-Gavrikov?

Russian LD usually come up playing both sides so Gavrikov might be the best bet there.

I mean, on the one hand, yeah, Domi has really not worked out here, but really all this does long-term is guarantee we're losing Dumoulin to Seattle instead of Kukan. I would love to have the guy but I'm not sure we can realistically keep him.

I was prepared to trade Domi for an expiring contract like Granlund, so is it any worse to trade him for someone who will be taken in expansion (it actually spares us the loss of another player in expansion, so it is an improvement on acquiring an expiring deal).

And I don't think we'd expose Dumo. When we were thinking that Kukan might be worth a protection slot, I suggested 4F+4D as a realistic possibility, and I do think that would be a good idea if Dumoulin was a Jacket.

You can protect:
Jones
Werenski
Dumoulin
Gavrikov

Bjorkstrand
Laine
Roslovic
?? Atkinson? Jenner?

The Jackets don't have an expansion problem because they don't have enough high value forward contracts.

this would only help Columbus while Werenski is out

It does little for them when he's back

Domi hasn't been good but to soon to quit on him for this deal

Edit
--Looks like Werenski is playing tonight

CBJ needs a Forward in return if they move Domi

I think it's time to quit on Domi, but this deal doesn't even feel like quitting on him, you're getting a #2/3 D back, which is solid value.

Bottom line Dumoulin at worst is a 2nd pairing LD and Max Domi is a thrid line winger/center who's overrated in the media because they like the story of him being Tie Domi's kid . If Hextall has to trade for any player because Lemieux has a friendship with their parents he should quit /resign as general manager .

Domi has scored at a top six rate (or topline rate) every year of his career, so describing him as a third liner is pretty far off the mark. The bigger issue with him is that he's a poor defensive player, but the best way to describe that is as a one-way top-six F.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Right, Werenski and Gavrikov is a pretty solid one-two punch at LD.

The bigger issue right now appears to be that Savard has fallen off, at least temporarily, and Andrew Peeke isn't ready for top 4 minutes. So that still leaves the Jackets one short on solid top 4 guys. In any case, Dumo is an improvement because it means less minutes for the mess of Harry/Carlsson/Kukan/MDZ, etc...

There is a handedness issue but chances are that at least one of Werenski/Gavrikov/Dumo can play well on the right side. It's not the most perfect fit but when you get a player of that caliber it's an improvement.

Gavrikov-Jones
Dumoulin-Werenski?

Dumoulin-Jones
Werenski-Gavrikov?

Russian LD usually come up playing both sides so Gavrikov might be the best bet there.

I was prepared to trade Domi for an expiring contract like Granlund, so is it any worse to trade him for someone who will be taken in expansion (it actually spares us the loss of another player in expansion, so it is an improvement on acquiring an expiring deal).

And I don't think we'd expose Dumo. When we were thinking that Kukan might be worth a protection slot, I suggested 4F+4D as a realistic possibility, and I do think that would be a good idea if Dumoulin was a Jacket.

You can protect:
Jones
Werenski
Dumoulin
Gavrikov

Bjorkstrand
Laine
Roslovic
?? Atkinson? Jenner?

The Jackets don't have an expansion problem because they don't have enough high value forward contracts.

I think it's time to quit on Domi, but this deal doesn't even feel like quitting on him, you're getting a #2/3 D back, which is solid value.

Domi has scored at a top six rate (or topline rate) every year of his career, so describing him as a third liner is pretty far off the mark. The bigger issue with him is that he's a poor defensive player, but the best way to describe that is as a one-way top-six F.
He's overrated .
First 5 years M. Domi
375 games ( 75 per )
81 goals ( 16+ per)
170 assists ( 34+ per)
251 points ( 50+ per )

This season M. Domi
20 games
3 goals
4 assists
7 points

Pittsburgh shouldn't trade Dumoulin for Max Domi .

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Barring further injuries (and when are we ever healthy) then I do expect one of Dumoulin or Pettersson to be moved for forward help. I'd be fine with a Dumo/Domi swap, especially if Pettersson gets his early season form back. He is struggling right now but at the beginning of the year he was our best D. Let's hope he shakes off that injury and gets back to that. POJ is an NHL player, but I agree he is being played above his station right now. One of Matheson or more likely Pettersson needs to step into that top pairing role and look good before we jettison Dumo.
Absolutely agree. I think one of Rikola petterson or dumo is moved. I as well would be ok with a domi for dumo deal as the main ingredient. Also agree the pairs need to set before a move is made .

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Bottom line Dumoulin at worst is a 2nd pairing LD and Max Domi is a thrid line winger/center who's overrated in the media because they like the story of him being Tie Domi's kid . If Hextall has to trade for any player because Lemieux has a friendship with their parents he should quit /resign as general manager .
This isn't 2016 anymore . He is a 2md pair D on an average team... he has been outplayed this season ( when healthy) and really didn't have a great year last season either . For a big guy too soft and looked like he lost a step. I can guarantee you if domi was offered pitt is listening

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's overrated .
First 5 years M. Domi
375 games ( 75 per )
81 goals ( 16+ per)
170 assists ( 34+ per)
251 points ( 50+ per )

This season M. Domi
20 games
3 goals
4 assists
7 points

Pittsburgh shouldn't trade Dumoulin for Max Domi .

I'm not a Domi fan so leave that aside.

I'm telling you that you have no idea what a third line winger typically scores. 50 pts in 75 games is on the cusp between a low-end top-line wing and a high-end second-line wing. The line between second and third line wings is closer to 33 points!

Reactions: Xoggz22

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
This isn't 2016 anymore . He is a 2md pair D on an average team... he has been outplayed this season ( when healthy) and really didn't have a great year last season either . For a big guy too soft and looked like he lost a step. I can guarantee you if domi was offered pitt is listening
Hextall isn't going to trade Dumoulin this season if he trades him before his contract expires that may likely happen it just won't be for M.Domi he's overrated.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not a Domi fan so leave that aside.

I'm telling you that you have no idea what a third line winger typically scores. 50 pts in 75 games is on the cusp between a low-end top-line wing and a high-end second-line wing. The line between second and third line wings is closer to 33 points!
Domi's 50 pts average includes a 72 point season that he's never come close to getting before that season or since .
3 of his first 5 seasons his point total is 45 points or less.
He's overrated .
81 games - 52 points
59 games - 38 points
82 games - 45 points
82 games - 72 points
71 games - 44 points
20 games - 7 points - ( currently )

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Despite the fact he played on the top pairing in every game he was in this year...and last...the last one before that...

Your words do not match reality.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Domi's 50 pts average includes a 72 point season that he's never come close to getting before that season or since .
3 of his first 5 seasons his point total is 45 points or less.
He's overrated .
81 games - 52 points
59 games - 38 points
82 games - 45 points
82 games - 72 points
71 games - 44 points
20 games - 7 points - ( currently )

If he's overrated it's because he's a crap defensive player.

Everyone knows his counting stats. You seem to think you have privileged knowledge here by knowing his point totals. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Doesnt dumo eat big minutes for pittsburgh?

can those other LD play those minutes and kill those penalties like he does? not sure if its worth it for Pit

Dumoulin's been really inconsistent defensively ever since he returned from that serious leg injury last year. To put it into context, on a pairing with Dumoulin and Letang, *Letang* has looked the less likely to run around aimlessly all too often out there.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Domi for Zucker seems like it would be better for both teams

Dont get this? We are looking for a body to replace Zucker while he is out. Zucker actullay hasnt looked bad the last few games before he was injured. We need Zucker to make a run, Swapping the 2 does nothing and actually downgrades the offense.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Brian Dumoulin for Max Domi @ 4.1m

Domi has fallen out of favor and the Pens have a surplus of LD (POJ, Pettersson, Matheson). CBJ can flip Dumoulin for a 1st more than likely if they want to move him after. Equal money swap for the Pens. Domi can slide into the Pens top 6 with Zucker out long term and Dumoulin can slide right behind Werenski as a #3D locked up a couple years. Who says no?

Dumoulin doesn't have much value with a team like CBJ. Not a team that needs defensive help at all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Domi for Zucker seems like it would be better for both teams

I think that is reasonable. Both have been ill-fitting. Same stat line funny enough.

Then again from a CBJ perspective I haven't seen a Domi proposal that I haven't liked yet. :laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dumoulin doesn't have much value with a team like CBJ. Not a team that needs defensive help at all.

I disagree.

They've given up the most goals in the league over the last ten games. That's more of a defensive team play issue but shifting minutes from Kukan/MDZ/Carlsson/Harrington/Savard to Dumoulin would be a big plus.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Dont get this? We are looking for a body to replace Zucker while he is out. Zucker actullay hasnt looked bad the last few games before he was injured. We need Zucker to make a run, Swapping the 2 does nothing and actually downgrades the offense.

You get out of Zucker's contract and Domi is probably not an offensive downgrade lol

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
You get out of Zucker's contract and Domi is probably not an offensive downgrade lol

Nothing wrong with Zuckers contract, if he fits hes fits. As far as Domi better/more offensive then Zucker, that is highly debatable.

Doesnt make sense

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hextall isn't going to trade Dumoulin this season if he trades him before his contract expires that may likely happen it just won't be for M.Domi he's overrated.
It will be for forward help whether its domi or not ...could be a package kinda thing.. again alot depends on the next 5 to 10 games.. a big loss to the caps isn't gonna help

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Despite the fact he played on the top pairing in every game he was in this year...and last...the last one before that...

Your words do not match reality.
Playing on top pair with letang doesn't necessarily make you a top pairing D. He was in 2016 2017. His play has slipped immensely. Last season he was probably the 4th most effective pens D. While letang was down , dumo didn't play top level or top pairing mins exactly. The emergence of Marino POJ and steady play by ceci and Masterson have made dumo somewhat expendable. I honestly think petterson and Riikola go first but if right trade came along they would ship dumo out .

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Brian Dumoulin for Max Domi @ 4.1m

Domi has fallen out of favor and the Pens have a surplus of LD (POJ, Pettersson, Matheson). CBJ can flip Dumoulin for a 1st more than likely if they want to move him after. Equal money swap for the Pens. Domi can slide into the Pens top 6 with Zucker out long term and Dumoulin can slide right behind Werenski as a #3D locked up a couple years. Who says no?
Gavrikov says no. I don't know that I would say Domi has fallen out of favor. Domi has really struggled to pick up the CBJ system. Not exactly his game and he's overthinking rather than playing. May never come but right now he's not providing the creativitiy and offense while missing assignments and unsure of his play. It's not lack of effort but clearly the wheels are spinning but there is mud below.

Reactions: Fro

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Domi seems to be on a team for a year or 2 and traded wtf? Mario would love it as Tie Domi is best friends with Mario and they golf together in the offseasons and Tie frequents games often.

For that reason I think Domi eventually ends up a Penguin in the summer of 2022. That's of course assuming Domi doesnt extend with CBJ. The Pens have 35M in space opening up that summer, and I think Tanev is probably a goner in the Seattle draft (unless they're bribed to skip him or something dramatic happens with the Pens forwards before then). Domi would be an excellent, gritty replacement, albeit a pricier one.

And yeah, like other posters here I think Dumo gets traded for futures if anything (that might then be turned around into other assets) but I doubt we do it with a team we'll have to face again soon. But, personally I want to see Dumo come back and what he looks like in this team. If the return is better, I would be amenable to shopping Petterson around to see what the potential return is there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad