Proposal: Pit-Ana

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm a Pens fan and know a deal for Fowler is unrealistic. However I'm curious as to how Anaheim fans value Despres?

Not very highly right now, which has nothing at all to do with his play. He hasn't been playing.

Even before the injury, I wasn't quite sure what he was. He looked like a top 4 guy, but it was for a short period of time. I was unconvinced he would be able to sustain that play, and he never had the opportunity to prove he could. That was a contract that made me a little nervous. Then he got injured. And then he made a very poor decision to return while still suffering from symptoms. :(

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I would love to get either Vatanen or Fowler to the Pens.

I suggested Rust+1st for Vatanen.

There's another thing I've been toying with on CapFriendly...what about something that has Fowler or Vatanen + Bieska going to Pittsburgh? What could we work out there?

Something like Vatanen+Bieska @50%+3rd for Rust+Pouliot+1st

That would give you guys an extra slot to protect a dman with.

So I was thinking and I thought this deal would make sense for both teams:

Sheary+2nd+Future Considerations for Fowler before the expansion draft. Sheary is exempt. Then after the expansion, we trade Maatta who is the FC to the ducks for a 3rd. Final deal looks like:

Sheary+Maatta+2nd for Fowler+3rd. The 2nd can be switched to a 1st if it must but Ana would have to add something as well. Discuss.

No thanks.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Sheary+2nd+Future Considerations for Fowler before the expansion draft. Sheary is exempt. Then after the expansion, we trade Maatta who is the FC to the ducks for a 3rd. Final deal looks like:

Sheary+Maatta+2nd for Fowler+3rd. The 2nd can be switched to a 1st if it must but Ana would have to add something as well. Discuss.

Please stop making suggestions for Pittsburgh.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Ducks wouldn't want or need a D man back. If they trade one of their D they have room to protect a forward so Sheary being expansion exempt has no particular value to them. I like Sheary as a player, but do not see him as being a good fit for the Ducks system either. I could see this going much like the Hagelin trade went for us- good player that's just a bad fit.

cspera77

May 29, 2010
Sorry to all hear who are mistaken, but Matta is the better player. I would not trade him straight up for Fowler let alone add a top 6 forward in Sheary and a draft pick.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Sorry to all hear who are mistaken, but Matta is the better player. I would not trade him straight up for Fowler let alone add a top 6 forward in Sheary and a draft pick.

Awesome. Then the threads where Pens fans ask for Fowler can stop. Because there isn't a single Ducks fan on these boards that would trade Fowler for Maata straight up.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

What's more likely? Everyone else is mistaken, or just you?

Maatta is not better than Fowler.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Good luck finding Anaheim fans wanting to trade Fowler for this package. I'm not opposed to it - or even adding to it, but you're not going to find many (if any) Anaheim fans embracing this. This could change down the road, but it would likely take Fowler declining to sign a contract for him to get moved - and even then there would be no shortage of suiters.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think Sheary would be all that good of a fit on Anaheim, nor would I do this trade before the expansion draft. If I make any trade with the defense, it's going to be a straight up lateral move where the Penguins get a better and older defensemen from a bad team for Maatta or Dumoulin.

I'd do this trade every day of the week if Fowler would sign an extension. Getting someone like him (even if he costs 6.5m long term) is worth it. As is adding Sheary to Maatta to get him. Maatta has been very good for us (for the most part) these playoffs and this season. But I'd move him out in a heartbeat for Fowler. Letang misses way too many games for me to not want another very good top pairing D here to cover him missing games. And if Sheary+Maatta+ is what it takes to get it done, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad