NBA Pistons hire Monty Williams as head coach

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I don't give a damn about how much an NBA coach makes. No one gave a shit before tonight.

All I care about is that leading candidates prior to this were Kevin Ollie and one of the assistants from Milwaukee.

I'll take this in a heartbeat.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Not only is he the highest paid NBA coach, he makes more $ than all their players except he makes a little bit less than Bogdan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pistons obviously want to make a big move forward. Long overdue for that team.

Also, Ed Stefanski is their president? lol

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Pistons obviously want to make a big move forward. Long overdue for that team.

Also, Ed Stefanski is their president? lol
IMG_2640.gif

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Still need players...

At least they give the fans a small cookie of hope to sell.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I haven’t watched NBA in 30 years, but I’m fascinated by this streak. Basketball doesn’t have the randomness of hockey, so this could go on for a long, long time.
Basketball doesn’t have the randomnes of other sports because it’s probably the only team sport where you can get outplayed and still win the game.

Oct 18, 2006
Basketball doesn’t have the randomnes of other sports because it’s probably the only team sport where you can get outplayed and still win the game.
What? In hockey you can easily get outplayed and still win. If the goalie is better than the other goalie for example.

Reactions: Voight

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I haven’t watched NBA in 30 years, but I’m fascinated by this streak. Basketball doesn’t have the randomness of hockey, so this could go on for a long, long time.
Other sports aren't random. Basketball is the only sport where defense is secondary. Sports like soccer and hockey have goalies, baseball has pitchers and football have dedicated defensive players. Basketball has none of those so it's almost impossible for a poor team to have a great defensive game and win because: 1) because the other team will still score some points and 2) those same bad players need to score on the other team.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Other sports aren't random. Basketball is the only sport where defense is secondary. Sports like soccer and hockey have goalies, baseball has pitchers and football have dedicated defensive players. Basketball has none of those so it's almost impossible for a poor team to have a great defensive game and win because: 1) because the other team will still score some points and 2) those same bad players need to score on the other team.
By “random” I mean high-speed deflections bouncing off of people and into the goal. That happens in hockey fairly regularly. And it’s random. High-speed bounces off of people into the basket don’t happen often in basketball.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'm convinced williams never wanted to be there and only took the job after the pistons threw that absurd contract at him. he's been checked out since day one

Reactions: Voight

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Monty seems pretty responsible here, this is a team with a decent amount of talent between Cade, Duren, Ivey, Thompson, Hayes, Stewart, Wiseman, and Bagley with some solid vets like Bojan and Harris

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
i'm convinced williams never wanted to be there and only took the job after the pistons threw that absurd contract at him. he's been checked out since day one
If you have to up your offer multiple time when there's no competition for a guy's services...that might just be a sign that he's not your guy.

That's entirely on the Pistons. Williams was pretty upfront about wanting to take time away to be with his wife who was just diagnosed with cancer. Why they thought "hey more money" would end differently is beyond me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sentenced to 6 years in prison

ADX Florence Supermax it looks like.

$13 million/year is insane for an NBA coach IMO.

With few exceptions like Pop who doubles as a team president and basically runs basketball ops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad