Player Discussion Pinto not signed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC35

Oct 13, 2020
Hey everyone.

So I dont know if this has been talked about or whatever but does anyone have any insight into why Shane Pinto has not been signed yet?

Thanks.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nothing much on that. Dorion may still want to add a player which could influence the approach with Pinto wrt term and AAV.

Reactions: lunadio

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Dorion likely waiting for possible Murray buyout to determine final moves. Lots of moving pieces and Dorion is not that bright.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Maybe we can pull off a Labanc deal and get him for 900k for 1 yr.

That way, we don't need to make any moves to stay under the cap.

Reactions: gab6511

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As some other poster remarked earlier, I think the NHLPA and players' legal counsels are going to have something to say when and if any "suspensions" or other actions are announced by the NHL.

This issue is going to take a while to be fully addressed and resolved.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dorion likely waiting for possible Murray buyout to determine final moves. Lots of moving pieces and Dorion is not that bright.
Dorion is an NHL GM, a dream job for thousands of very qualified people, he's probably a lot brighter than the vast majority on here me included.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Dorion is an NHL GM, a dream job for thousands of very qualified people, he's probably a lot brighter than the vast majority on here me included.
I don't know you but I hope you would hold yourself to a higher standard. He seems pretty dim to me.

Hockey selects from a pretty limited pool of largely uneducated people. It's not a realistic career for most people, not because of potencial but rather, other selection factors.

My company, like many hundred others, has several thousand people in our management program. We typically recruit from top universities which have incredibly difficult selection cretieria. We hire very few candidates vs applicants. Anyone in a Director level in our company is likely signification "brighter" than most NHL GM's.

NHL GM's make a bit more money, due to it being a niche market, though its probably not much different over entire career.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know you but I hope you would hold yourself to a higher standard. He seems pretty dim to me.

Hockey selects from a pretty limited pool of largely uneducated people. It's not a realistic career for most people, not because of potencial but rather, other selection factors.

My company, like many hundred others, has several thousand people in our management program. We typically recruit from top universities which have incredibly difficult selection cretieria. We hire very few candidates vs applicants. Anyone in a Director level in our company is likely signification "brighter" than most NHL GM's.

NHL GM's make a bit more money, due to it being a niche market, though its probably not much different over entire career.
I've met him & talked to him, I'm not a fan though, something about him always bothers me, maybe the arrogance, who knows. I think he got the job because his father was a scout with Montreal & then he became a scout & was kind of recognized for that. I have no idea what kind of education he has, but it can't be easy running an NHL franchise & would take some knowledge & expertise which no doubt he learned from the ground up. I realize a lot of players don't have a great deal of education but he was never a player, at least not an NHL player.

I think it depends on what "brighter" means I would imagine he knows more about hockey & all the facets of operating an NHL franchise than your directors, right. The NHL is a billion dollar business, they don't just hand the jobs to anyone they have to have proven something at different levels & of course scouting, developing & analysing player potential. Clearly a different kind of skillsets than someone in a traditional business. He's not dim & he speaks well in English although a number of francophones have trouble sometimes with cliches & we speak in cliches a lot. Personally, I try to avoid cliches like the plaque. :laugh:

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I've met him & talked to him, I'm not a fan though, something about him always bothers me, maybe the arrogance, who knows. I think he got the job because his father was a scout with Montreal & then he became a scout & was kind of recognized for that. I have no idea what kind of education he has, but it can't be easy running an NHL franchise & would take some knowledge & expertise which no doubt he learned from the ground up. I realize a lot of players don't have a great deal of education but he was never a player, at least not an NHL player.

I think it depends on what "brighter" means I would imagine he knows more about hockey & all the facets of operating an NHL franchise than your directors, right. The NHL is a billion dollar business, they don't just hand the jobs to anyone they have to have proven something at different levels & of course scouting, developing & analysing player potential. Clearly a different kind of skillsets than someone in a traditional business. He's not dim & he speaks well in English although a number of francophones have trouble sometimes with cliches & we speak in cliches a lot. Personally, I try to avoid cliches like the plaque. :laugh:

I've never met him on person, so I accept your personal experience on face value.

Couple comments.

When I say "bright" I mean a mixture of intelligence, education/experience and realised potencial.

He was not a player but was still "connected" to the game. That is a very small pool of largely educated people to choose from.

On a relative basis, they have very low standards for leadership for NHL franchises.

I work in corporate governance and am pushing 50. I have three degrees from good schools and am objectively intelligent. I have worked 60-70 hours a week for 30 years now.

I have worked for billion+ dollar companies most of my career. I am at the Divisional Vice President level and sadly I am very likely to be "peaked" at my age. Best I can hope for is some more board positions and to be able to relax a bit in my position before I retire in 10 years.

That is OK though because I am in the 1 percent (or more likely .1) of people in my field.

Most the people who are C-Suite in organization of this size are awe inspiring. They typically have a level of "brightness" & energy that puts them in the 0.001%. They don't forget names, they give speeches like trained actors or politicians and are very very smart.

I see Pierre Dorion as a below average NHL GM when it comes to "brightness" which is a relatively high standard for humans but a low standard for human with equivalent responsibility

Reactions: Agent Zub

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If history is any guide, Pinto is unlikely to sign until the eve of camp, or maybe part way through it. Without arbitration rights, his only leverage is to withhold his services and not sign the lousy contract that Dorion is almost certainly offering him right now. Everyone negotiates to deadlines, and the only looming deadline is Sept. 16 or whatever day it is that players report for camp...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
is the possibility of Pinto not being signed until there is a inevitable injury before Dec 1st, a realistic scenario?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A: What .. your over the cap and have to trade someone to get under it?

D: Duh Yah.. that's right.

A: What about that guy that you signed for 4 years to close to 3M AAV and he didn't score any even strength goals?

D: Joseph?

A: Yah that's right... Why not move him?

D: No one wants him unless we give them a prospect and/or a pick.

A: Well hold on we are coming in soon . We will straighten it out. Sit tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad