Music: Pink Floyd

Favorite Pink Floyd album

• Total voters

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Curious about thoughts on Pink Floyd. I'm almost finished with a good book on them, called Pigs Might Fly: The Inside Story of Pink Floyd. It's getting me give a proper listen to a lot of their albums, as I'd heard maybe three albums and some songs previously. I'm starting to appreciate them a bit. I have a soft spot for Obscured by Clouds for some reason.

Do you like them? Love them? Hate them? Indifferent?

I didn't include all their albums in the poll because ten is enough I think.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I ebb and flow with them. When I was young, and first getting into classic rock, I loved them. All the classic stuff. Then I kind of got bored and moved on, only to rediscover them through the lesser-known stuff - The Division Bell specifically - in recent years.

But pound for pound, The Wall is their GOAT. Pure songwriting genius.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
love them, one of my all time favorite bands, to me they are musical geniuses. Hard to pick a favorite album, I went with Animals but Dark side or the Wall are so f***ing good. Just wish I had seen them in concert.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Wish You Were Here.

DSOTM would be first if it wasn't for "Money", I've grown to really dislike that song. Animals is great, so is The Wall but I need to dedicate the time to listen to the whole album. Meddle is good and has one of my favorite Floyd songs, "Fearless". The Division Bell is decent.
Those are the only albums I have, for some reason I haven't had much interest in their early work.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Though I think The Wall may be their greatest artistic achievement, I've always had a real soft spot for Animals.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Haven't listened to a lot of their albums in a while but The Wall is my favorite. Got see Roger Waters perform it. Great from start to finish. I also love Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The first Pink Floyd I owned was "A Nice Pair".
It was a compilation of "The Piper at The Gates of Dawn" and "A Saucerful of Secrets".

I had the uncensored cover.

Played the hell out of those albums.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Animals is a pretty perfectly considered masterpiece, IMO. Love how the two bookend tracks ground the cynicism of the rest of the album. Went with that.

I find The Wall too overbearing, heavy-handed and full of itself in a very Roger Waters kind of way-- my pick for most overrated, as I rarely find myself interested in it, although it is well done. Dark Side of the Moon is incredible and universally accessible but isn't quite perfect-- I actually am not a fan of the on-the-nose transitions (like the alarm clock/coins at the beginning of Time/Money) and effects (On The Run sounds dated and uninteresting to me) on that album (and of course, Money sounds out of place). Wish You Were Here is a warm, satisfying, and sentimental album but it also feels like it's missing a little something. I think Piper at the Gates of Dawn is great but a little rough around the edges, and Meddle kind of only relies on about half of the tracks being great. These aren't actual complaints, just reservations that keep them from being the best for me.

Love Pink Floyd and think they're brilliant, but just short of my actual favorite bands. If I'm nitpicking, Waters' writing style has always felt a tad overly self-serious to me compared to some of his peak contemporaries like Lou Reed, John Lennon, Brian Eno, or Bob Dylan, who I feel have ideas and a sense of creativity that seems a little more natural/expressive and like they're organically flowing out of them rather than this meticulously prepared/perfectionist/trying to be ambitious thing that Pink Floyd usually have going for them.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
None of the above. Although they're all great, I vividly remember tripping out to A Saucerful of Secrets, but I also love Meddle, and Dark Side. So I voted Meddle, it needed a vote anyway. :nod:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Time & Great Gig in the Sky are 2 of my all time favourite songs. DSOTM is also an album I can easily listen to from start to finish & not even realize it haha.

The Walls is too Roger Waters-y, Wish you Were Here is a huge fav but doesn’t bump off Darkside & was never a big Animals guy...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Of course the easy answer to these questions is either The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon, but some of the best Pink Floyd songs I have ever heard keep having me come back to A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bells. Wait, why the hell isn't A Momentary Lapse of Reason not in the poll?

Songs like "Marooned", "Learning to Fly", "Sorrow", "On the Turning Away", "Take It Back", and a couple others can challenge the best Pink Floyd songs.

Reactions: LeafSadist

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I went with Piper as favorite. While Animals, WYWH and the Wall have arguments for critically best - certainly they have the best standalone tracks - it is hard to argue against DSOTM as it was a truly landmark album and IMO is their only album with 0% fat.

(Syd song w David playing)

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
On first serious listen to the big ones, I go:

Animals
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon

And DSOTM I’d rate as very good.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I like Pink Floyd, I don't love them but I enjoy them very much. I have seen Waters in concert twice since 2012. He did the Wall at Yankee Stadium and a regular show at Nassau Collesium in 2017. I prefer to hear the songs live than on the radio. As for a favorite album, for me, it's the Divison Bell. It's so underrated. Every song, every note has a meaning and purpose.

Reactions: brokenhole

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Of course the easy answer to these questions is either The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon, but some of the best Pink Floyd songs I have ever heard keep having me come back to A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bells. Wait, why the hell isn't A Momentary Lapse of Reason not in the poll?

Songs like "Marooned", "Learning to Fly", "Sorrow", "On the Turning Away", "Take It Back", and a couple others can challenge the best Pink Floyd songs.

On the turning away is beautiful

Reactions: S E P H

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Love them all but have been listening to The Division Bell a lot lately, very underrated and kind of fit's in today's world.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Animals
DSOTM

Wish You Were Here
Meddle

The Wall

Obscured by Clouds
Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Atom Heart Mother