Pillars of Eternity - The White March Expansion Pt. 1

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
So I'm level 6, on my way to Twin thingy city next.

I killed a named Drake with his posse south of Defiance Bay, and man, it was epic.
By the end, it was the named Drake at low HP and just my rogue and Mother standing. It felt good, man.

So far, I'm absolutely loving the game. The text descriptions, the combat, the gear, the crafting, the artstyle,... it all fits and it all works.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I played through BG 2 a few times and enjoyed my own party of 5 the best.

I'd sub in the 6th member for all of the personal sidequests.

NPCs can have some bizarre builds.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Is anyone reading the soul stuff that comes up when you talk to certain people? I don't have the patience for all the seemingly pointless dialogue!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Is anyone reading the soul stuff that comes up when you talk to certain people? I don't have the patience for all the seemingly pointless dialogue!

I was, until I came across information that those yellow name people with the random stories are actually just the backer NPCs as part of one of the Kickstarter tiers. Have zero to do with the actual game itself (other than apparently they're killable/lootable)

Kinda taking it easy while waiting on the patch to fix the major bugs, then I'll probably restart now that I have a slightly better understanding on mechanics of the game.

Still going to make a Cipher though. Haven't decided what I'm doing for companions though, I almost feel like I should do a full run through of nothing but the pre-mades and one of nothing but my own creations.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I was, until I came across information that those yellow name people with the random stories are actually just the backer NPCs as part of one of the Kickstarter tiers. Have zero to do with the actual game itself (other than apparently they're killable/lootable)

Kinda taking it easy while waiting on the patch to fix the major bugs, then I'll probably restart now that I have a slightly better understanding on mechanics of the game.

Still going to make a Cipher though. Haven't decided what I'm doing for companions though, I almost feel like I should do a full run through of nothing but the pre-mades and one of nothing but my own creations.
Good to know, thanks, glad that stuff's not important.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Really debating picking this up. So much hype about it and everyone says the love it. When I watch videos though it just seems like something I wouldn't enjoy. Its like $30 on G2A though so why not I guess.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Really debating picking this up. So much hype about it and everyone says the love it. When I watch videos though it just seems like something I wouldn't enjoy. Its like $30 on G2A though so why not I guess.

It's a very good CRPG in the mold of old infinity engine games like Balders Gate & Icewind Dale. Now those games aren't for everyone, but since that genre went away for a good 10-15 years everyone who did like them back then were super hyped for it and Obsidian has done a great making that sort of game again for us.

When it comes down to it it's basically slow paced tactical gameplay with lots of reading. It's not going to translate well to video, and with the recent spike in nostalgia games the last few years people should have an idea if a game like this is for them or not.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It's a very good CRPG in the mold of old infinity engine games like Balders Gate & Icewind Dale. Now those games aren't for everyone, but since that genre went away for a good 10-15 years everyone who did like them back then were super hyped for it and Obsidian has done a great making that sort of game again for us.

When it comes down to it it's basically slow paced tactical gameplay with lots of reading. It's not going to translate well to video, and with the recent spike in nostalgia games the last few years people should have an idea if a game like this is for them or not.

This is important. You won't get the real feel for the game watching someone stream on Twitch.

My advice would be to watch some videos from some of the guys who are really into it, give tutorials for beginners etc.

Try watching this, see if you can decide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCeUrG7Bc0

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Well it was between this and Elder Scrolls Online, and I bought this. Will probably get to play it tonight some time. I think the update just went live as well.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Anyhow up to level 4 with a party of 5 now. Feels very much like Baldurs Gate 1. Not nearly as polished as the BG2 but still a very good feel to the game/genre that has been absent for many years.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyhow up to level 4 with a party of 5 now. Feels very much like Baldurs Gate 1. Not nearly as polished as the BG2 but still a very good feel to the game/genre that has been absent for many years.

I think it's a decent step up from BG1 in that it has much more substantive dialogs and less trash mobs.

My impressions so far - Level 7.

The pros:

Pacing: It might have the best pacing of any RPG. Content is dense and there is always something interesting to do. Downtime is usually welcome and not a chore.

Defiance Bay is fun to explore with tons of quests and NPCs. A decent amount of choices&consequences here, more than I've run into elsewhere so far.

The variety of non-combat and combat quest resolutions is very nice and much greater than any of the IE games not named Planescape Torment.

The Meh:

Combat is pretty routine. It can be interesting when you run into something over your level and there are a few enemies out there with abilities that throw you off. But for the most part you can do the same things every combat and get away with it.

Classes/Skills - Some good good just on a curio level where others are just flat boring. Wizards are yawn inducing and too many of their highest damage dealing spells are Full AoE instead of FOE AoE unlike Ciphers. There is little of interest in the skills since it's pretty obvious which ones you want for which characters.

Wilderness areas - They are dense comparatively but a little small so it takes away from the exploration aspects. Maybe an engine limitation or just a poor design decision but it would have been better if a few of the early ones were combined.

Dialogs - When they are good they are dynamic in a conversational style using all the tools like attributes, skills, and reputations. But most of them time they are massive lore dumps. (I am not talking about the backer characters).

My biggest gripes ATM:

Some of the quest logic is really easy to break. Don't talk to NPC X but explore an area anyway. Go back and talk to that NPC and all the sudden some fancy plot stuffins shows up. A lot less systemic than a couple other KS RPGs.

They really did a poor job balancing experience rewards. They give experience as if they expect you to play maybe 65% of the content when I think they underestimate just how many CRPG players are completionists. Makes the game too easy.

I really don't like how detecting traps/items is tied in with sneaking as a catch all in scouting.

Too many of the quests are easily solved by walking up to X and pressing some dialog option. Would have preferred fewer but more intricate quests.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Playing the game slowly but loving it so far. Only problem I'm having is I decided to go for hard difficulty but have hit a wall. I'm in Lord Raedric's keep and want to kill the *******, but I don't see how I can possibly win that fight. I've got my cipher, Eder & Aloth, and added a ranger (with lion pet) & rogue at the tavern.

There's just no way to get Raedric's mob into a favourable position, and I know I need to get at that archmage right away but except for Eder & the lion anyone else in position to hit him will quickly get killed.

It's not a complaint about the game, just wondering if I bit of more than I could chew by going hard mode right away.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Playing the game slowly but loving it so far. Only problem I'm having is I decided to go for hard difficulty but have hit a wall. I'm in Lord Raedric's keep and want to kill the *******, but I don't see how I can possibly win that fight. I've got my cipher, Eder & Aloth, and added a ranger (with lion pet) & rogue at the tavern.

There's just no way to get Raedric's mob into a favourable position, and I know I need to get at that archmage right away but except for Eder & the lion anyone else in position to hit him will quickly get killed.

It's not a complaint about the game, just wondering if I bit of more than I could chew by going hard mode right away.

Not to spoil anything, but there are a couple others (NPCs) that you could pick up that are much better than hirelings... (I went the opposite route though so I really dont know about that encounter).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I would take on Raedric after Caed Nua and all the wilderness before it, but before Defiance Bay.

Sounds to me like you might have a softer party ATM too outside of Eder. I'd have gone with a hired Barbarian or Paladin.

Not to spoil anything, but there are a couple others (NPCs) that you could pick up that are much better than hirelings... (I went the opposite route though so I really dont know about that encounter).

The main thing about the hired types is they are usually a level or two behind you.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
My party is level 10 now, I'm in the 10th level of Od Nua dungeons, in Act III in the main story, fought my first dragon.

I think the armor and weapon scaling system is inferior to the old IE games, but overall, I'd give the story a solid 9/10, really enjoying it.

I like the story, and I love certain characters, you can tell Chris Avellone wrote most of this stuff, the guy was the brains behind Planescape Torment.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I would take on Raedric after Caed Nua and all the wilderness before it, but before Defiance Bay.

Sounds to me like you might have a softer party ATM too outside of Eder. I'd have gone with a hired Barbarian or Paladin.

Well I at least had the abandoned temple cleared out, but that guy jumps on you immediately after completing the mother quest, and makes it sound urgent so I figured I better get over there. One of the things that detaches me from CRPG's/WRPG's is when they pile quests on you that story-wise sounds time sensitive but then let you diddle around and do things at your leisure. So I try to avoid 'cheating' where I can.

Anyways I did manage to beat it. Set out two AoE traps in front of the first two guys before the conversation started, kept everyone else back and had Eder approach with lots of endurance potions. Tried to keep one of their tanks charmed at all times with my cipher, and used up all the spells & scrolls I could taking out their two archmages first. The end came down to 2v2 between Eder and my Ranger vs Raerdric and one of the champions. Oh and before the battle I had to 'cheat' the system first and setup camp in his bed room.

One thing I noticed is if you recruit a rogue and get them up to 5 mechanics it really lets you by pass a lot of quest parts in the first chapter, as you can pretty much unlock anything that requires a key.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One of the things that detaches me from CRPG's/WRPG's is when they pile quests on you that story-wise sounds time sensitive but then let you diddle around and do things at your leisure.

I'm a more or less a gamist so this kinda thing has never really bothered me. Though I do chuckle at the inconsistencies sometimes. If you haven't played it yet WL2 does have a fairly interesting example of a very major quest that doesn't let you diddle around. With very real consequences.

One thing I noticed is if you recruit a rogue and get them up to 5 mechanics it really lets you by pass a lot of quest parts in the first chapter, as you can pretty much unlock anything that requires a key.

I slapped mechanics on my player character Cipher. Since skills don't have a tie in to attributes and only get a starting boost from class there's not much downside.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Well I at least had the abandoned temple cleared out, but that guy jumps on you immediately after completing the mother quest, and makes it sound urgent so I figured I better get over there. One of the things that detaches me from CRPG's/WRPG's is when they pile quests on you that story-wise sounds time sensitive but then let you diddle around and do things at your leisure. So I try to avoid 'cheating' where I can.

I am going to disagree here. *note I despise JPRGs* but when done well, like BG2 this is not true. Companions do leave if you do not help them in a timely fashion, and some things need to be done somewhat quickly when come upon, but I do agree that the quest load can become a bit much.

Still liking the game though, but my biggest problem (mind you I am still only lvl4/5 characters) is there is no real direction. I have the Keep but cant go down past Zolla the Ogre who just destroys my party, the wilderness places are fine but small and not much to do and I know my party is too weak to advance the story yet... just kinda stuck as what to do... And to travel anywhere - by the time you get there - the party is tired.

I am going to keep going but seems like it still needs something (just a bit more polish), much like BG1 did until BG2 was released.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Finished the game last night.

The good:
- writing. It ain't Torment, but it's better than in the rest of the old IE games.
- an original setting
- lot of options to solve quests in different ways, and a lot of peaceful options.
- Compared to BG1, the wilderness areas are much less pointless.
- and Defiance Bay & Twin Elms feel like mini-Sigil and mini-Curst. But reeeaaally mini.
- the double movement speed option. VERY handy.

The iffy:
- combat can be uber hard, especially early in the game when it's just you and Aloth. I started at hard but had to dial that down to normal eventually.
- the combat system feels rather needlessly convoluted, but in the end, you end up using the same spells over and over. The power level of spells also differs wildly and often doesn't correspond to their level. Also, druid spells are Pejorative Sluredly powerful.

The ugly:
- the constant and way too long taking loading screens
- no rogue joinable NPC!
- bows suck something fierce
- search in sneak mode = slugz in the mud, even with double speed on.
- a few bugs here and there, and a particular quest that seems incomplete (and another one where you're almost certain to stumble upon its finish before it even begins...)

The bad:
- absurdly low XP cap. I maxed out by the time I reached Twin Elms...
- the ability to hire a full party of custom characters. Already reading about people going with abominations like 6-custom-druid party on Steam. Urghble.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think they just forgot to plot gate that door. Wonder if it was fixed in the patch on Friday.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The first "half" expansion is out now. Probably gonna wait till both are out before playing again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad