Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
If you're going to keep pietrangelo for the year knowing he's most likely leaving at the end of the year then I hope they load up and make sure they get a cup out of it. Do what you can to get hall out of new Jersey, add another lhd, whatever it takes but go big one way or the other.

Obviously if theyre 90% sure he's coming back then it's not as big of a deal. If he's not, I don't care what they give up for rentals.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If you're going to keep pietrangelo for the year knowing he's most likely leaving at the end of the year then I hope they load up and make sure they get a cup out of it. Do what you can to get hall out of new Jersey, add another lhd, whatever it takes but go big one way or the other.

Obviously if theyre 90% sure he's coming back then it's not as big of a deal. If he's not, I don't care what they give up for rentals.
What you’re asking for is impossible. No team can guarantee a Cup. Tampa was the best team in the league last year, and they obviously weren’t guaranteed a damn thing. But having a team that can win the regular season conference championship (or close) and is defending champ (proven playoff winners) should be enough to signal “Go for it” versus retreating and trying to trade Pietro for....whatever. You still need the bounces to go your way at the crucial moments.

If he walks, so be it. But this team is trying to win now. If they come up short, it doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision.

Reactions: Robb_K and mk80

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
What you’re asking for is impossible. No team can guarantee a Cup. Tampa was the best team in the league last year, and they obviously weren’t guaranteed a damn thing. But having a team that can win the regular season conference championship (or close) and is defending champ (proven playoff winners) should be enough to signal “Go for it” versus retreating and trying to trade Pietro for....whatever. You still need the bounces to go your way at the crucial moments.

If he walks, so be it. But this team is trying to win now. If they come up short, it doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision.

Obviously you can't guarantee a cup but you can make trades to give a better chance and with tarasenko out until playoffs why not use that cap space as an advantage?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Remember last year when half the posters on this board couldn’t wait to get rid of the guy? That was funny.

Glad a couple stuck around for our enjoyment. Where’s that Turnbull fella at? He was the best.
I've had my share of arguments regarding Pietrangelo with some of the guys you're referencing, but I don't think we need to pick on them over those particular opinions even if they appear "wrong" now.

We all have our share of biases, blind spots, and misguided opinions. We're all capable of growing as people and bettering those things as time moves on. Hard to advance very far in life without ever having a stumbling or taking the wrong path.

I think this community is a better place when we're growing our collective knowledge together. That can't happen without dissenting opinions and different perspectives, not to mention a certain level of respect for those who have those things. Keeping score and lording "wins" over those who "lost" any particular discussion undercuts all of that. The more we can move away from that, the more we'll all get out of our time here.

I actually like Perry Turnbull as a poster, even though I didn't agree with him on some pretty major topics. He was civil, consistent, self-aware, and informed in his own way. I miss having him around.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
This from an article ranking the 'micro-cores' of each team:

The Blues and their Stanley Cup put a crack in this theory a little bit. They won as much for their depth as they did their high-end talent. But still, nothing wrong at all with these three players. It’s another indication of their depth when there was a debate with one panelist about picking Alex Pietrangelo as the No. 1 defenseman: “I would have gone with (Colton) Parayko over him,” said the panelist. “I think Pietrangelo is on the downside.”

It then goes on to curiously state:
“If (Drew) Doughty was on the market tomorrow, I’d take Doughty. He can play better than he’s playing,” said a scout... Doughty, in a different environment, is still an elite guy.”

These panelist don't inspire a whole lot of confidence in the knowledge of 'insiders'. Yikes.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Isn't resigning Petro as simple as not bringing back Bouwmeester? That adds $3.25 million to Petro's current salary and gets him his dough.

Moving Allen opens up another $4 million and then there's cap space to breathe.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Isn't resigning Petro as simple as not bringing back Bouwmeester? That adds $3.25 million to Petro's current salary and gets him his dough.

Moving Allen opens up another $4 million and then there's cap space to breathe.
Not that simple:
  • Need to replace JayBo under that scenario. So even if you use a kid take about $800k off that amount
  • JayBo has been really good this year and not even sure want to let him walk
  • Faulk's cap hit increases by 2.35mm next year
  • Schenn's cap hit increases by 1.375mm next year
  • Dunn will need a raise
Signing Petro is doable (at the right number) but somebody else (Bozak?) has to go out.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Not that simple:
  • Need to replace JayBo under that scenario. So even if you use a kid take about $800k off that amount
  • JayBo has been really good this year and not even sure want to let him walk
  • Faulk's cap hit increases by 2.35mm next year
  • Schenn's cap hit increases by 1.375mm next year
  • Dunn will need a raise
Signing Petro is doable (at the right number) but somebody else (Bozak?) has to go out.

Got it - thanks. Would consider another year of Jaybo but I think Mikkola is ready and like what Walman is doing in San Antone.

Moving Allen or Bozak would cover Faulk and Schenn. Moving both really solves the cap problems.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The other guy we could potentially move over summer if we need cap space to resign Petro is Schwartz. He is heckuva player but will be entering last year of his contract and given his injury history how much $ and term will we want to commit to him? And unlike some of the other guys we talk about, Schwartz absolutely has positive value and would bring back assets to restock cupboard.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
A little bit of info right on the 41 min mark of Friedman’s 31 Thoughts Podcast. He says the number the Blues are offering is around 8M.

‎31 Thoughts: The Podcast: Dec. 19, 2019: The Taylor Hall Trade Trickle Down on Apple Podcasts
no wonder a deal's not done. that's an insult of an offer to a top-10 league-wide d-man who just captained the team to the Cup with a Conn Smythe-worthy run. Petro has been the Blues best playoff performer annually. This posturing over $1M-$2M/year better not irreparably harm the relationship, or the Blues will end up looking foolish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah - he just needs to be our Chara and sign team-friendly $1M/year contracts until his body gives out for good.
I think we will see the Blues take advantage of the bonus overage next year. Give J-Bo a $1M contract with a $1.5M bonus for 10 games played. He's all but guaranteed to hit that bonus, but structuring it that way allows us to be right at the cap based on his $1M salary and roll over the bonus overage for his $1.5M bonus into the 2021/22 season. Next year is the big cap crunch and Bozak, Steen and Allen are all off the books in 2021/22. We can get next year's J-Bo for essentially the cost of a replacement call up against the cap and then deal with the overage in a season where we have more flexibility. Plugging in a top 4 LHD for $1M against the cap would go a long way towards making the cap work next season if we have trouble shedding money.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
I just love players like J-Bo and DP57 who compete every night and play for the love of the game. 10 million is gross.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
IF Army is lowballing franchise best player he should fire himself. I wonder how Tom Stillman is feels IF they let their best player walk för nothing.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
How did 9 become middle? That seems like overpayment unless we are going shorter term.

I thought we were lowballing him at 8. Im sure he’s asking for 10. Why wouldn’t he? I don’t think we’ll sign him for less than 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad