Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I disagree. When was the last time a Stanley Cup winning team captain walked in free agency?? There never has been one

Petro played a impotant role in winning the Blues first Stanley Cup he also scored the cup winning goal. Petro is a world class player and and exactly the sort of player that a team should consider making exceptions for. Driving away a captain a year removed from winning a cup is a bad look on the franchise.

Petro leaves Blues aren't going anywhere. So enjoy your years of mediocrity.

Armys ego screwed the Blues window.

If Petro asks for the moon do you give it to him?

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’ll admit I have no idea what the market is in this environment, but I know the NHL’s TV deal sucks, and they are a gate driven league that has no idea if they can have fans attend next season or likely much of an idea how fans will react in the years following a vaccine.

So, I don’t have any strong takes on this, but I don’t necessarily think the Josi comp is a good comp any more, and if someone else gives him something in that neighborhood, not sure that there won’t be some short term and/or prove it bargains to be found out there that could take some of the short term sting away.

We’ll see how it shakes out though.

Note fan in Big D

Oct 22, 2008
Texas
Just do a somewhat more lucrative 3-4 year deal. That way Petro can head to Toronto when we stink and they don’t have to send us assets in a trade.

If the Blues need cap room right now, and Steen will be back, see if you can move Bozak, Dunn and/or Gunnarsson for picks. Promote the young guys and get Maroon back for cheap.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm still ambivalent. I bet DA offers 8.25X8. If Petro doesn't accept that, with or without the NMC, then he's all about the money. Given that the majority of the country has been affected monetarily by the Covid epedemic, I think it is reasonable to expect a little less than the previous norm.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
The moon has a NMC.

actually, the moon is in fact moving away from the earth
eventually it will move far enough away that it always faces the same side of the earth and there will be no more tides
the good news is that the sun will become a red giant and swallow up the earth and moon before that

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Exactly my thoughts. We have to do things that we are uncomfortable doing but we suck it up and do it and this one of those times where Army needs to get it done give him a nmc and a 50 percent signing bonus.

Heh Rivs you are a long way from Sudbury buddy ... hows your bro doing? Out of sight outta mind ... as always you got this one right on da $$$

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I'd be comfortable with a NMC for years 1-6 and a partial NTC years 7 and 8. The bonus money both sides should be flexible on.

The way Armstrong and Blues have handled veteran players should put Pietrangelo at ease. Bouwmeester got an extension at market rate +35 and would have gotten another without the issue from earlier this year. When Bouwmeester's play deteriorated from injuries, he wasn't buried by the organization. He was given time to heal from hip surgery. Thorburn given red carpet treatment and he wasn't with the Blues long enough to warrant it. Steen? Getting paid considerably more than the value he provides and still with the organization.

If AP won't sign that deal, then he really wasn't interesting in staying.

Reactions: Blueston

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
actually, the moon is in fact moving away from the earth
eventually it will move far enough away that it always faces the same side of the earth and there will be no more tides
the good news is that the sun will become a red giant and swallow up the earth and moon before that
Not to get off topic, but, unless something has changed the sun will only usurp mercury and venus before finally collapsing inward.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I thought that it will expand to around the orbit of mars, but I could be incorrect as it is something I remember reading a long time ago and bourbon has mushed my brain
Not to get off topic, but, unless something has changed the sun will only usurp mercury and venus before finally collapsing inward.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I will add that "you can ask for the moon" is a common phrase in contract negotiations, and probably one of the first phrases to come out of a mediators mouth once they get called in. Petro hasn't seen the open market yet. I think he'll test it, just because he's the captain and he wants to see what he's offered, but I applaud DA for not selling the farm to resign him.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m skeptical that he’s going to see an offer that is better than the Blues’ offer, in the context of the flat cap and several teams running internal caps. But if it takes testing the open market to figure that out, he’ll have 8th year of the contract to learn this information. The fear of being bought out in the last year or two of the contract becomes moot if the term cuts chopped by a year at the front end.

You could argue that a 7 year contract is in the Blues’ better interest in comparison to the 8 year deal.

It’s fascinating how these negotiations go down.

Reactions: Celtic Note
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad