Speculation: Pietrangelo Discussion: Should we move on if he refuses an offer in the range of 8x$8.25m?

Should Pietrangelo be let go if he refuses an offer in the 8.25X8 range?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I saw this from Eklund, I know it's Eklund, So take it with a block of salt. He says the general feeling is Pietrangelo heading back to St Louis. He has talked to a few teams, but talking to people familiar with those discussions, they feel he is going to return to St Louis. Pietrangelo wasn't thrilled with the way talks went, but the coach and players are very much asking him to come back.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I saw this from Eklund, I know it's Eklund, So take it with a block of salt. He says the general feeling is Pietrangelo heading back to St Louis. He has talked to a few teams, but talking to people familiar with those discussions, they feel he is going to return to St Louis. Pietrangelo wasn't thrilled with the way talks went, but the coach and players are very much asking him to come back.
I don't know why you'd really believe anything you hear from anyone other than Petro or the blues organization at this point.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Armstrong yes he's made other bad moves n denies it
So you don't think DA has talked about how much ownership is willing to spend with them? Big decisions like that aren't just made on the fly. If DA drew a line in the sand it was with Stillman's blessing.

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
So you don't think DA has talked about how much ownership is willing to spend with them? Big decisions like that aren't just made on the fly. If DA drew a line in the sand it was with Stillman's blessing.
I think I remember reading somewhere stillman asking armstrong if they could give bounses to petro and armstong told him they all would want it

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Spending all the way to the off-season cap in an off-season where almost all the teams are going to be cap-strapped is the easiest way to get back yourself into a corner you can't get out of.
Just because you shouldn’t do something doesn’t mean you can’t. Inevitably, there are too many that disregard the shouldn’t component.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
I think the fact that we didn’t see Army make any big moves is a pretty strong indication that this being a toss up is true and not just lip-service. I don’t think Petro would string Doug along if he truly had made up his mind that he was leaving.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think I remember reading somewhere stillman asking armstrong if they could give bounses to petro and armstong told him they all would want it
I heard that said somewhere as well, and I can't remember where. The other panellist came back and said something along the lines of, well they aren't the captain that brought the Stanley Cup, so you tell them to stop using him as a comparable. Which is a fair point.

I do think that we have offered some signing bonuses. One of the issues might be regarding the years we're offering them and the amount in those years, for example it might be important for Pietrangelo for him to be paid almost completely in signing bonuses in the last couple of years of the deal. Who knows, it's all speculation... but I do believe we've offered them.

It's also one thing to give your captain, and an elite player, modest signing bonuses and giving him a contract almost entirely signing bonuses. It's more difficult for other players to expect them if the Captain only got some modest ones.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think the fact that we didn’t see Army make any big moves is a pretty strong indication that this being a toss up is true and not just lip-service. I don’t think Petro would string Doug along if he truly had made up his mind that he was leaving.
If I had to guess? Pietrangelo does want to stay, he is willing to bend on some things, but he isn't willing to give a discount. And he hasn't been willing to give a discount in the recent negotiations.

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Intesting thought that what is the time line where Army has to start to make own moves if Pietro 'delays' his decision? Could this go all the way in the 2021 January?

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Did anyone make any big moves today? This is still getting sorted.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Intesting thought that what is the time line where Army has to start to make own moves if Pietro 'delays' his decision? Could this go all the way in the 2021 January?

That’s the question. Seems like they’ve got a game of chicken going on. I’d imagine Army will wait another day or so, but I’d think how long he holds out is pretty dependent on how things left off with Petro the last time they’d spoken.

Did anyone make any big moves today? This is still getting sorted.

We didn’t see the big name players moving, but we still saw plenty of movement (Hoffman, goalies, etc). If Army thinks Petro is gone then he’s got some flexibility to spend some of his cap on role players or potentially looking at a Tarasenko patch knowing his backup options (Brodie, Krug) likely aren’t going to have the same cap commitment that he’s got slated for Petro.

Last edited:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Kinda feels like Petro signs with either St. Louis or Vegas and Krug signs with whoever he doesn’t to me at present.

Reactions: Blueston

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Do you think he's making moves to jeopardize his job?

I think he’s not giving Petro the structure out of ego.

I think despite the good that he’s done (and I was a very pro Army guy before this negotiation) he’s royally screwing up here.

If your goal is to compete now, then you sign Petro. I can count the number of defenders in the league I think are better on two fingers.

If your goal is to worry about the future, then you don’t give Justin Faulk 7 years and Brayden Schenn 8.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Kinda feels like Petro signs with either St. Louis or Vegas and Krug signs with whoever he doesn’t to me at present.

I hope we don't sign Krug if Petro leaves. We already have several undersized, offense oriented guys with Faulk and Dunn. Would rather get a steady defense first guy instead. Chara on a one year deal anyone? :naughty:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I hope we don't sign Krug if Petro leaves. We already have several undersized, offense oriented guys with Faulk and Dunn. Would rather get a steady defense first guy instead. Chara on a one year deal anyone? :naughty:

I'm not saying they should sign Krug, but this is weird. Faulk is not undersized, he's a fireplug. And Faulk and Dunn are not "several." Also, Chara is so ridiculously cooked, man. The guy is a warrior, but he's already a clear step down just from where he was in the finals against the Blues. He wouldn't play above Scandella and Dunn on the left side. A move like that would only block Mikkola. If they're going to sign a bottom pairing guy, make it someone who can skate and might have a future with the team.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Since there is endless speculation, “experts” included, here is what I imagine happened from the eyes of the Petro camp.

After the Cup win, you look at the contract Doughty got and you think, I am that good and I also won a Cup. So, I deserve what he got. So that is my ask. Armstrong says we can’t do that and so talks are off.

Later you see what Josi gets on his contract and think, well maybe my AAV ask was a bit high at first blush, but Josi got a full, contract long NMC, so I will sacrifice the AAV, but get as close as possible to a guaranteed payout.

He also sees Toronto and other places giving out signing bonuses like candy and says “yes please”.

The Blues trade for Faulk and he says “you give a guy like that a big salary, then no way I am backing down”.

COVID hits and now there is a greater sense of unease. This time it is not frustration that you don’t get all your wants, but now you are concerned that by waiting, you have cost yourself some significant AAV. So, now more than ever I want that guaranteed money and now I am more willing to explore FA to see if I can recoup some of that lost AAV.

Right now he is probably thinking I thought there were going to be more suitors and more money. The Blues offer doesn’t seem as bad now.

End wild speculation on par with the best guesses being belted out by the experts. Feel free to post this like a twitter feed expert with no credibility, but assume it is correct. End sarcasm

Please free to write you own thoughts. I suspect they are as good as any experts!

Last edited:

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Serious question....what happens if he signs in Vegas (They stay under the "summer cap" but they are clearly over the "real" cap.....then no one takes Fleury? What happens if a team has a bunch of one-way contracts and is hopelessly over the salary cap on opening day, with no hope of LTIR relief? I don't think we've ever gotten close to that scenario, how would it play out? Do they have to forfeit games until they're compliant?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Serious question....what happens if he signs in Vegas (They stay under the "summer cap" but they are clearly over the "real" cap.....then no one takes Fleury? What happens if a team has a bunch of one-way contracts and is hopelessly over the salary cap on opening day, with no hope of LTIR relief? I don't think we've ever gotten close to that scenario, how would it play out? Do they have to forfeit games until they're compliant?
It’s a great question. We know small overages get carried over to the next season, unless that was changed in the last CBA. Although, those overages where usually or maybe always performance bonuses. But big overages? Have we seen it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad