New York Islanders: Pierre Turgeon headed to Hockey Hall of Fame.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Very good player, didn’t win much of anything though.

Mike Richter is not in the HOF, but Henrik is? Seems bizarre.
Richter was very good. Lundqvist was great. Just because Henrik didn’t win the Cup, doesn’t diminish what he accomplished personally in his career. Lundqvist was the better player. I’m an Islander’s fan through and through, but you’d be hard pressed to find people to say Richter was better than Lundqvist.

But man, the Rangers have really had some great goalie continuity the last 40 years. From Vanbiesbrouck to Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin. Crazy good.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Richter was very good. Lundqvist was great. Just because Henrik didn’t win the Cup, doesn’t diminish what he accomplished personally in his career. Lundqvist was the better player. I’m an Islander’s fan through and through, but you’d be hard pressed to find people to say Richter was better than Lundqvist.

But man, the Rangers have really had some great goalie continuity the last 40 years. From Vanbiesbrouck to Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin. Crazy good.
They even had what seemed to be an upcoming bright spot in Blackburn between Richter and Lundqvist before he got hurt. Always riches in net...

Lundqvist had the better career than Richter, but I have a hard time dismissing Richters peak between 94-96 (Cup year and the 96' World cup where he was just on another level).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

I’m with JJ on this one, there’s also something to be said for winning the ultimate prize. Also, NYR winning that Cup and then later the US winning the World Cup were very influential in the growth of hockey in the US. The WC was a statement that US hockey had advanced and could truly compete on a professional stage.

Bill Ranford with two cups on two different teams is not in the HOF. Last week, the Toronto media was saying Cujo should be in the HOF - excellent goalie at times, but didn’t win anything beyond a couple playoff series here and there. Got yanked in the Olympics.

The HOF criteria seems janky and inconsistent.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Turgeon was my favorite player when I was very young; I remember pretending I was him when I played. Then Palffy had something to say about that in my teens.

Richter was so quick post-to-post. One of the most exciting goalies to watch, Sorokin-esque.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Turgeon is in that weird tier of one of the best not in or one of the worst in.

With that said it took so long in my opinion because he's not really associated (league wide) with any specific franchise which does hurt his legacy and how people view him.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
Didn’t see him as Hall of fame player but looked up his numbers and 515 goals plus over 1300 points in 1200 plus games got him in. As almost 45 year old he was probably first big star player I remember as islander. 92-93 was amazing year and Perhaps him being healthy they win cup, who knows.
with a healthy Turgeon that habs series might be different and they probably beat 99s kings in the finals.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
How in the world is Mogilny not in yet?? Is there something I'm missing here?
He never performed in the playoffs.

Floater and a regular season superstar who had a very short peak and one ultra elite season.

He doesn't deserve to be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad