New York Islanders: Pierre Turgeon headed to Hockey Hall of Fame.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Didn’t see him as Hall of fame player but looked up his numbers and 515 goals plus over 1300 points in 1200 plus games got him in. As almost 45 year old he was probably first big star player I remember as islander. 92-93 was amazing year and Perhaps him being healthy they win cup, who knows.
Same for me. He was one of the guys when I first started getting into hockey as a kid. Turgeon, Hogue, Ferraro, Krupp, kaspirits, Malakhov. First game I ever went to, hogue scored the game winner, in OT, on a breakaway against the sabers.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Didn’t see him as Hall of fame player but looked up his numbers and 515 goals plus over 1300 points in 1200 plus games got him in. As almost 45 year old he was probably first big star player I remember as islander. 92-93 was amazing year and Perhaps him being healthy they win cup, who knows.
He’s our 2nd to last legit elite goal scorer right before Palffy.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In honor of Pierre getting in, you should totally add the quote just under your name:

DerekKingSnipes
OnAssistFromTurgeon

Reactions: sabremike

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Very good player, didn’t win much of anything though.

Mike Richter is not in the HOF, but Henrik is? Seems bizarre.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey

I think too much emphasis is placed on team accomplishments sometimes when evaluating athletes' careers for HOF and other honors and awards. Yes Richter won a Cup, but Lundqvist was pretty clearly the better goalie (and I'm not a Lundqvist fan).

Some players are just fortunate to play on great teams and some great players are very unlucky.

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
How in the world is Mogilny not in yet?? Is there something I'm missing here?

I think that's Political so we cannot ask why here :sarcasm:
BTW I Loved Alexander The Great. He was the best player on the Ice in 99% of the games he played in. Stood out as the most skilled played I had ever seen at that point....

Reactions: sabremike

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think too much emphasis is placed on team accomplishments sometimes when evaluating athletes' careers for HOF and other honors and awards. Yes Richter won a Cup, but Lundqvist was pretty clearly the better goalie (and I'm not a Lundqvist fan).

Some players are just fortunate to play on great teams and some great players are very unlucky.
He was, but also think he’s managed to stay in the limelight that’s helping push his entrance. Vernon and Barrasso have their own credentials for the honor.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He was the victim of the Dale Hunter hit and was traded away for Muller . What a great trade bringing him to Long Island from the Buffalos. Take him over Tr91tor every time

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
How in the world is Mogilny not in yet?? Is there something I'm missing here?
Utter nonsense. Politics? Is Grapes running the committee? Ridiculous.

I guess 500 goals not good enough to get JR in. Nice for Pierre but JR just as good if not at times a more complete player.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Been a fan since 1987ish and Pierre is still my favorite Islander of all time.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Mogilny isn't in either. The HoF is like a papal conclave. The chosen club members go off and make some secret decisions, puff the smoke and send out a press release.

It's a stupid process and really needs something more transparent like baseball, where the press elect them and the votes are mostly known.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I guess 500 goals not good enough to get JR in. Nice for Pierre but JR just as good if not at times a more complete player.
It's bizarre that Roenick is not in the HoF. Had to check his playoff numbers to see if they were remarkably different (i.e. less) than his regular season numbers, but they were completely in line. When you adjust the years that Messier played before the massive improvement in goaltending + influx of talent league-wide, I don't personally see a lot of space between the two of them.

Otoh, I understand why it's taken Pierre Turgeon this long to get in, and imo it all has to do with the politics of hockey in Canada. Turgeon never represented Canada in international play. Like, what? Look at that 1998 Canada Olympic roster. Yikes. And it's all because he didn't want to fight in 1987. And we'll never know whether the Hunter mugging was related to that history, but since Hunter is still one of hockey's respected preeminent dinosaurs, I find it difficult not to make the link. I think Turgeon simply wasn't respected.

The sad thing is I think that Turgeon's career would have been better had he not had to swim against those currents, which I see as related. He also didn't consistently get to play with very talented linemates. I think, pretty clearly, Stumpy was his best linemate for his NHL career. That's something else. Imo he'd have been a far better player, and would have had a better career, in the league the way it is now.

Roenick's snubbing is probably also political, but in a different way. Specifically his outspokenness never matched what the dinosaurs wanted. (I'm going to leave it to one side whether what Roenick would say ever made much of a contribution - that's a separate issue.)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Mogilny isn't in either. The HoF is like a papal conclave. The chosen club members go off and make some secret decisions, puff the smoke and send out a press release.

It's a stupid process and really needs something more transparent like baseball, where the press elect them and the votes are mostly known.
All of this shows, I think, how incredibly lucky Mike Bossy was to have the career that he had. He had the right coach, he had the right teammates, and he was just odd enough (but genuine) to be accepted. But he easily might not have been if he had ended up elsewhere. Ironically, the reason it worked out for him is that the dinosaurs of hockey with the first 14 picks of the 1st round didn't draft him.

Mogilney had all sorts of disadvantages, relatively speaking, especially wrt being the target of mob extortion, and cultural misunderstanding. But he had the talent to be an all time great goal scorer on the order of Bossy or Lafluer. One can argue that failing to achieve that is on him. But I don't think he was a Kovalev type of enigma. I think it was more complicated.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The guy player who made me fall in love with hockey and the NYI.
I wore #77 in every hockey league I could growing up. Congrats!

It would be disingenuous Pierre was the guy who made me love hockey, that was my dad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big L

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Turgeon was the highest all time scoring player eligible for the HHOF who hadn't been inducted yet. Roenick's next on the list, so I'd wager he'll be in next year.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Turgeon was the highest all time scoring player eligible for the HHOF who hadn't been inducted yet. Roenick's next on the list, so I'd wager he'll be in next year.
The return from that broken jaw and concussion was unbelievable. That year's series against Tampa was one of my favorites for a long time. Didn't hurt that he KO'ed the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad