Pierre Turgeon and Adam Oates

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Having had the chance to retrospectively review the careers of both of these players (plus what I saw), I have come to the conclusion that these two players are closer than what we often let on.

I'd have never have even considered these two players in the same class, had it not been for MS, a poster from this section that I respect greatly. MS has a nasty habit of being right about practically everything, and he's made some arguments about Oates and Turgeon that I have to admit have been very compelling:

Turgeon is a guy who was really bitten by injuries at bad times - missed substantial time in 3 of his best 4 seasons when he was going to finish way up the scoring ladder :

1993-94 - 94 points in 69 games ... pro-rated is 114 points, which would have placed 3rd in NHL scoring.

1997-98 - 68 points in 60 games ... pro-rated is 92 points, which would have finised 2nd in NHL scoring.

1999-00 - 66 points in 52 games ... pro-rated is 104 points, which would have won the Art Ross Trophy.

Now, obviously being durable is a skill, and full marks to Ratelle for rarely missing games. But Turgeon was every bit as good offensively when he was playing, and maybe better. If he would have been playing 75-80 games every year, he would have had 4 other seasons good enough to put him top-10 in scoring, and in the seasons above would have cruised to top-5 finishes.

Defensively, yeah, maybe Ratelle has an edge, but he wasn't superb in that regard either. And Turgeon was actually better in the playoffs than Ratelle.

Ratelle's playoff record in New York really, really, *really* bugs me. It's frankly shocking how terrible he was for that club, and makes it impossible for me not to view him as a really soft player. And his performance in the '72 Summit Series doesn't help in that regard, either.

Yup. Turgeon was crucified for playing an 'emotionless' game but he was actually a quite good playoff performer when you look at the numbers. His 2001 playoffs in particular were near-brilliant .... he was pretty much the entire St. Louis offense in leading them to the Conference Finals.

I've made the point before that it's funny how the blame was apportioned for Buffalo's playoff failures in the 1980s/early 1990s. Guys like Turgeon and Housley were actually not that bad, but their second-line/support players were absolutely terrible.

Turgeon scored 25 points in 23 playoff games as a Sabre but became the 'Tin Man' for doing so while his #2 center Christian Ruutuu was one of the worst playoff performers ever - 4 goals, 13 points in 42 games. Buffalo lost because of guys like Ruutuu, not guys like Turgeon.

Yet, I don't think MS' arguments have made much of an impact on anyone in the HOH section aside from me. I managed to win the ATD (with 40 teams) with Turgeon as a 2nd line center, and while this may prove that I caused some of us armchair historians to begrudgingly admit that Turgeon was a pretty damn good offensive player, others might say that my team won despite Turgeon's presence.

This is not a poll because it should still be clear that Adam Oates was the better hockey player. But how big was the gap here? Let's break down their attributes as players.

Offense:

A preface to all of you who hate adjusted stats: I'm sorry, but I have no choice to use them here, in a couple of variations. These players had careers that overlapped by a period of 17 years, and the period in which both were offensively dominant at the same time was 13 years long. So you might think that no adjustments are necessary; however, scoring was much higher when Oates was at his best and lower when Turgeon was at his best. I am going to try to use a few angles to ensure I'm not missing anything. Since both players' legacies are heavily longevity-based, I will be focusing on a large number of seasons for each player.

Goal Scoring:

It should surprise no one if I declare that Turgeon was a significantly better goal scorer. He placed top-25 in the NHL in goals 7 times, while Oates was 19th in 1993 and 40th in 1994, and well below that in his next-best year.

Turgeon's best 10 goalscoring years according to hockey-reference.com's adjusted goals:

47 41 36 36 36 35 34 33 29 29

The bolded seasons for Turgeon, had he not missed significant games in four of his better seasons, would be 46, 44, 43, and 34.

The same for Oates:

37 29 24 23 22 21 21 19 18 16

Oates missed significant games twice, and had he played those games, the bolded seasons become 29 and 28.

Not much needs to be said.

Based on their ten best seasons as goalscorers, Turgeon appears to have been about 55% more prolific than Oates. Per-game, he was approximately 63% more prolific.

Playmaking:

It should be even less of a surprise to hear me say that Oates was a much better playmaker. Oates led the NHL in assists three times and was top-10 nine other times. Turgeon was top-10 three times, though he was in the top-25 five other times, and the difference between, say, 10th and 25th, was sometimes as little as 7 assists.

Turgeon's best 10 playmaking years according to hockey-reference.com's adjusted assists:

61 59 56 56 55 53 51 48 44 43

Had he not missed significant games in some of his best years, the bolded seasons become 72, 68, 62, and 47.

The same for Oates:

80 78 74 73 73 71 70 67 66 64

The bolded would become 105 and 75 had he played those seasons in full.

Based on their ten best seasons as playmakers, Oates appears to have been about 36% more prolific. Per-game, he was about 29% more prolific.

So where does that leave us? Turgeon's goalscoring edge appears to be greater than Oates' playmaking edge, and generally goalscoring is considered to be more important. Then again, it's not that simple. I deliberately didn't spend too much time on goals or assists separately because total points are more important. Points are a much better determinant of a player's offensive worth than goals or assists on their own.

Total Offense:

Using simple points rankings, Oates appears to have been the more dominant point producer. He was 3rd in points three times, and top-10 four other times, though surprisingly was only top-10 in points per game in three seasons (the three in which he was 3rd in points). He was top-25 in points six other times, for a total of 12. Turgeon was only top-10 twice (5th & 7th) but was also top-25 eight more timesfor a total of ten. Sometimes as few as 8 points separated 10th and 25th. Here are a few measures to understand how far apart their best point totals were:

Using hockey-reference.com's adjusted points, these are Turgeon's best 10 years:

106 92 89 89 88 86 84 80 78 74

The bolded would be 114, 107, 105, & 91 had Turgeon maintained his pace over full seasons instead of being injured.

Same for Oates:

115 102 102 92 89 88 88 88 88 85

The bolded "would be" 134 and 103.

By this metric, Oates was producing points at a level that was 8% better than Turgeon's level. Per-game, he only outpointed him by about 2%. Turgeon was extremely unfortunate to get injured in some of his finest seasons.

One other adjusted metric to use is "vs. #2". This was pioneered by BM67 but my recent tweaks remove outliers Mario and Wayne, as well as any players who finished very high in the scoring race thanks largely to these two. It also removes Yzerman in 1989 and Jagr in 1996. Then it compares the player's yearly point total to that of the 2nd-highest scorer remaining. here are the best percentage scores for Turgeon:

93 89 86 85 84 83 83 80 75 70

The bolded could have been 110, 103, & 102, had Turgeon played the full schedule.

same for Oates:

100 100 100 93 87 85 84 83 80 80

The bolded could have been 131, 94, & 84 had Oates not missed significant games three times.

By this metric, Oates was, relative to the game's finest non-outlier producers, about 8% more productive than Turgeon. Per-game, he was 3% more productive.

Basically the same result either way.

So a good question to ask is, does playing about 5% more games in his prime and scoring about 3% more per game make Oates such a better player that we should all clamour for his HHOF induction, while Turgeon continues to buy tickets to get in?

If you believe that point totals can tell us each of these players' true offensive values, then you can skip past the next two sections. It's a valid point that with players of this caliber, all points are worth about the same - PP, SH, ES, goal, 1st assist, 2nd assist, good linemates, poor linemates. It could be true. It also might not be.

Importance of Goalscoring?

With 1.7 assists awarded per goal, Oates and Turgeon's point totals were heavily influenced by assists even though most fans consider a goal scored to have somewhat more value than an assist earned. Turgeon was a very underrated goalscorer, being a center who was also known for his pretty passes, and his advantage on the goalscoring side of things is actually more than the one Oates enjoys in playmaking. So is it arguable that he was actually more valuable offensively because of this?

Determining the value of a goal relative to an assist is tricky business and everyone seems to have their own way to do it. Furthermore, it can be a moving target based on which players you're talking about. I'm going to use a standard method and you can choose to throw it out if you like since I am not even sure how I feel about it: Goals Created. It's a very simple offensive stat used by hockey-reference.com that weighs goals as worth more than assists. I think that no matter what kind of formula you use, as long as it puts goals on an even footing with assists, or even more than even, it will favour Turgeon, just like "raw" totals favour Oates slightly. here goes:

"adjusted" goals created for Turgeon, best 10 seasons:

42 35 34 34 34 33 31 30 30 29

with full GP credit in 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000:

43 42 39 39 36 36 35 34 34 34

"adjusted" goals created for Oates, best 10 seasons:

41 36 33 31 31 29 29 29 28 28

with full GP credit in 1991 & 1999:

44 41 36 33 31 31 29 29 29 29

by this metric which, rightly or wrongly, highly values goals over assists, Turgeon was about 5% more dominant offensively than Oates, and about 12% more dominant per game.

Linemates

These were both great players but I don't think either falls under the category of "they'd get their points no matter who they played with"... they are not Gretzky or Lemieux, they're not Sakic, Yzerman, or Forsberg. They're a step below. I think linemates do have some effect on what kinds of totals they were able to put up.

Oates had what can best be described as a mutually beneficial partnership with Brett Hull. Hull never scored less than 70 goals when Oates was on his team, and never more than 57 without. That looks really good for Oates. Oates was also feeding Neely while Neely was at his most prolific per-game rate: 1992-1995. Oates then got to play with Bondra, who led the league in goals with Oates (having already done so without Oates) and somehow managed to make Chris Simon a top-20 goalscorer for one season.

Turgeon didn't turn 57-goal scorers into 70-goal scorers, because he never played with a winger who had that kind of potential. What he did do was give Derek King his only 30-goal seasons (30, 38, 40) - King later played with Sundin, scoring 21 and 24 goals. Is that as impressive a resume? Hardly, but it does serve as an illustration of what kind of material each player was given to work with.

Turgeon led his team in scoring by margins of 45, 24, 19, 18, and 15 points.

Oates' best comparable team-leading margins were 40, 18 (adjusted, lockout), and 17. Oates never led the Blues in scoring - Hull had more points each time. Bondra also took the Caps' points lead more often than Oates did.

Oates was on pace to lead his team by a comfortable margin two other seasons, but Turgeon also was in three other seasons. When you look at Oates' career, it's remarkable how infrequently he was his team's best offensive player compared to what you may think.

Conclusion:

Offensively, these are two very comparable offensive players. The major gap between this conclusion and general perception stems from the following:

- Oates' playmaking was both significantly better than Turgeon's and often a top-5 level in the league. While Turgeon enjoyed a similar edge over Oates in goalscoring, he did not get the same recognition, being just a top-25 guy most often. To put it in reverse, Oates was an extremely mediocre goalscorer, but Turgeon's playmaking was far but mediocre. Only one player was excellent at either, and he's getting the bulk of the credit because so many people still look at goals and assists in vaccuums.
- Turgeon is perceived at being so horrible at everything other than piling up points, that people diminish his offensive skills, as though his points somehow meant less.

Just how comparable they are, really comes down to a few things that you will personally have to decide:

- How much teammates and linemates matter in the production levels of these players,
- How much more, if at all, goalscoring should be valued compared to playmaking.
- How important is just being a good player, as opposed to staying healthy for 12-30 more games in a few seasons throughout your career for prettier finishes and totals. (example, Crosby did not have the best season but he did clearly demonstrate he was the best player, in the same way you could say Turgeon had four seasons where he didn't have a top-10 season but was a top-10 offensive player)

I think offensive output constitutes the majority of these players' values but it is important to take a look at everything else as well.

Defense: Adam Oates was glorified by the media defensively, in a Joe Nieuwendyk kind of way. I think that he was good at best, not great. The defensive reputation that he somehow got, appears to have a lot to do with his faceoff abilities and not a lot to do with actual goal production, as his ESGA/GP stats are very high for a player of his stature. For example, he averaged 0.95 adjusted ESGA/GP. Turgeon averaged 0.74. Oates was the beneficiary of better goaltending (Cujo/Kolzig vs. Puppa and late career Fuhr) and better defensemen (Bourque, an extremely solid and balanced WSH corps vs. Housley - who would have made things worse - Malakhov/Norton/Krupp/Kurvers - seriously! - and finally greener pastures with the MacInnis/Pronger situation in STL)

The numbers don't indicate Oates was a better defensive player and though their reputations say that he was, the extreme gap that we're seeing in the numbers is a good indication that even if they're lying to us a bit, these two players are even.

Grit/Toughness/Competitiveness:

Two Lady Byng Trophy winners. MS said it best: one gets raked over the coals for it, the other sees it get brushed off. I am not going to pretend that they are on the same level though. Turgeon's softness is legendary, while Oates did have more of a competitive streak for a longer time in his career. But if you think Oates places considerable distance between himself and Turgeon in this category, you are dreaming.

Intangibles/Personality/Leadership:

Oates was never a captain. Turgeon was, but he wasn't really a good one. That's a wash. Oates held out for more money and then asked for a trade when he was in St. Louis. Take off some points there. Turgeon, on the other hand, despite supposedly being "the Tin Man" on the ice, was a good teammate who was well-liked. No one ever said he didn't want to win, or only cared about himself or his stats. He won't make anyone's leadership lists, but he was a good guy and was far from selfish.

Playoffs:

- Neither won a cup, but Oates came closer, playing in two finals. Turgeon never got there.

- Oates got to the semis a total of four times; Turgeon did it twice.

- Oates got to round two eight times, Turgeon just four.

How much of this rests on their shoulders, and how much rests on their teammates? Let's dig a bit deeper:

- Point-per-game playoffs: Oates: 7. Turgeon: 8.
- Leading team in playoff goals/points with 4+: Oates: 7. Turgeon: 5 (was a Hunter cheap shot away from a 6th)

Looking at playoff production, though, it's clear Oates was the better postseason producer. He played in 50% more playoff games, averaging 8% more points per game.

The above calculation skews the comparison slightly, though: Oates played in four playoffs past the age of 35 that dragged his career average down. As of 1998, Oates had played 126 games, scoring 138 points (1.10/GP). At that age, Turgeon had 95 in 104 (.91/GP). The gap isn't as wide as it looks, since Turgeon's three longest playoff runs were in 1997, 1998 and 2000, while Oates had six playoff runs of 12-16 games from 1987-1994. Still, there is a definite gap in their playoff production.

Turgeon deserves his share of the blame for his teams often failing to go anywhere, but only his share. If you look at the list of starting goalies his teams took into the playoffs throughout his years as a top producer, it's downright embarrassing:

a struggling young Puppa/Barrasso tandem (.856), Jacques Cloutier (.856), Puppa (.922), a three-headed Buffalo mediocrity monster (.842), Healy (.887), a McLennan/Hextall tandem (.827!!!), Thibault (.904), three years of Fuhr (Finally, .908!), and then two years of Turek (.908).

Conclusion:

These two players are similar and overvaluing of assists and sensationalization of Turgeon's flaws are the only reason they are perceived to be as much as 300 spots apart on a "top players" list.

I'm not about to start touting Turgeon for the HHOF, but I will say that he has HHOF numbers and offensive dominance similar to a lot of enshrined modern centers (and, honestly, better than some too). At the same time, I am not as high on Oates as I once was. Though I do still want to see him in the hall, I don't see it as the same degree of glaring omission that some others see it as.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The one big advantage Oates had over Turgeon was ability to make teammates better. To the extent you believe that it is true, he deserves "extra credit" for creating extra goals by Neely, Hull, etc

If you don't credit Oates for elevated production from his linemates, I agree, his stats are shockingly close to Turgeon's (as you have shown). He had definitely been overratedon this board for some time due to an artificial seperation between goals and assists.

Oates was a pretty good defensive player (no great), and excellent on faceoffs at both ends of the ice. Even if their offense is equal (and you'd have to discount Oates' effect on linemates to believe that), Oates' other attributes push him above (even if his defense was far from elite, which I agree with).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I agree with most of what MS says most of the time too, but i don't put much stock in Turgeon being "on pace for the Art Ross if healthy.". Plenty of players have been on pace for more than they ever actually achieved at any point in his career - doesn't mean the player would actually achieve it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hmm, good thread! :D

I've got a longer post somewhere about Turgeon vs. Oates, will try to dig it up.

The one big advantage Oates had over Turgeon was ability to make teammates better. To the extent you believe that it is true, he deserves "extra credit" for creating extra goals by Neely, Hull, etc

If you don't credit Oates for elevated production from his linemates, I agree, his stats are shockingly close to Turgeon's (as you have shown). He had definitely been overratedon this board for some time due to an artificial seperation between goals and assists.

Oates was a pretty good defensive player (no great), and excellent on faceoffs at both ends of the ice. Even if their offense is equal (and you'd have to discount Oates' effect on linemates to believe that), Oates' other attributes push him above (even if his defense was far from elite, which I agree with).

But as was pointed out in the original post, Oates got to play with Neely and Hull.

Turgeon never played with a player of that level of ability, but instead turned 2nd liners like Derek King and Scott Young into 40 goal wingers.

Oates' defensive play gets really over-rated. He was rubbish through his St. Louis and into his Boston years. Towards the end of his career, he became 'average'.

The improvement in his defensive reputation co-incided completely with the NHL introducing the faceoff % stat.

I agree with most of what MS says most of the time too, but i don't put much stock in Turgeon being "on pace for the Art Ross if healthy.". Plenty of players have been on pace for more than they ever actually achieved at any point in his career - doesn't mean the player would actually achieve it.

He would have needed 30 points in 30 healthy games to get the Art Ross. Considering he was a point-per-game player for 13 straight years, I think it's a safe assumption to say he'd have been in the neighborhood.

Basically my position is that they're pretty much the same player, although Oates had a healthier career.

Turgeon was unfairly cast as the 'Tin Man' early on in Buffalo, and the media wrote the rest of his career to fit that narrative. Oates had all the same flaws, and nobody cared.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
Since we're dealing with a player that missed a significant amount of games during his prime I think a good way of accounting for this is games played at a top-pace (see this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=878672). Comparing the two players we get:

Games played at a top-pace:

|Top-5|Top-10|top-20
Oates | 220 | 220 | 698
Turgeon | 112 | 342 | 646

Based on these numbers, I would say that they are indeed comparable offensively.

JazzRockford

Jun 13, 2011
Kiruna, Norrbotten
Great thread! I suppose I have been underrating Turgeon. Never realized he was that close to the Art Ross. Of course, it was the dead puck era, so a lot of the top competition was injured quite a lot - Lindros, Forsberg, Jagr in 2000. One important question needs to be settled for ranking these players, though: who was the driving force on the Hull-Oates line? Hull won the Hart when they played together, nowadays I see many consider it a mutual benificial relationship with no player who was obviously better.

Linemates arguments bugs me in a certain way. I do agree that it is an important factor when looking at player of this caliber, but I think it is too simple to say "oh, linemate X really boosted this guy's totals". People seem to think that elite player + elite player = both get better. It's not that easy. Look at Hull. The League's top goalscorer with Oates. He teams up with Gretzky (post-prime Gretzky, but he was still an excellent playmaker). People expect miracles. Nothing happens. The chemistry wasn't there.

So, what I'm trying to say is that having chemistry with another elite player is a skill. We can't know how well Turgeon would have played with an elite winger. We know what Oates could do, we know he could play great with anybody and the ability to use one's linemates in such a way is something that deserves praise.

Some people might say that chemistry isn't a skill, just luck. Well, okay. Many good attributes are 'luck'; something one is just born with. Being tall and imposing, having a mean streak, having a higher threshold for pain, etc. Inborn traits. Very useful for, say, a power forward.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
As the above poster hints at, the problem with that "pro-rated" Art Ross in 99/00 for Turgeon is that the same year Jagr was on pace for 125 points but missed 29 games, Sakic was on pace for 111 points, Bure was also on pace for 104 points.

So really Turgeon was the 4th most prolific scorer that year (gonna give Bure the edge because of the way more goals).

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Two Factors

Very interesting thread seventieslord. Two additional factors to consider.

Offense generating dmen. Oates played with Ray Bourque. Ray Bourque was able to generate 50+ assist seasons for centers like Barry Pederson, Ken Linseman, Craig Janney, Jozef Stumpel, Jason Allison whether they had a Cam Neely as a winger or not.Adam Oates played the equivalent of six season with Ray Bourque. Pierre Turgeon played a bit with Phil Housley and Al MacInnis. Not exactly the same level of support from the back end that Adam Oates had.

Coaching. Beyond Buffalo, Pierre Turgeon played for coaches and teams that demanded a more complete game from their centers. More varied offense with a balance between scoring and playmaking.since such an offense is less predictable, harder to defend and offers more flexibility.Adam Oates did not have such demands placed on his offensive game.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Interesting all around. Oates' incredible playmaking did see some remarkable seasons. You could argue that Hull suffered without him (even though it was probably thought at the time that Hull was making Oates), Juneau had 100 points with him and then was effectively useless after it and Dmitri Kvartalnov went from scoring in each of his first 13 or 15 games (an NHL record) to out of the NHL in three years...I believe the common denominator was Adam Oates in every case. And in Washington, even without Jagr trying I believe he led the league in assists twice with him despite Jagr not being a huge factor on those Capitals teams.

It's an interesting case on Turgeon's behalf though...good post(s).

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
This is where the eye test comes in handy. Having seen both for their entire careers I can say with absolute certainty, Oates was the better hockey player.

Turgeon is the epitome of the player with alot of base hits, but not a whole lot of rbis, to quote Harry Sinden.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Turgeon is a guy who was really bitten by injuries at bad times - missed substantial time in 3 of his best 4 seasons when he was going to finish way up the scoring ladder :

1993-94 - 94 points in 69 games ... pro-rated is 114 points, which would have placed 3rd in NHL scoring.

1997-98 - 68 points in 60 games ... pro-rated is 92 points, which would have finised 2nd in NHL scoring.

1999-00 - 66 points in 52 games ... pro-rated is 104 points, which would have won the Art Ross Trophy.
I think I mentioned this before when this was brought up, but that's very misleading. You're only pro-rating Turgeon's numbers, but not any of the other players. The 1999-00 season looks impressive, but all it means is that Turgeon (had he kept that same pace) would've had more points in 82 games than Jagr had in 63 games. You could say the same thing about Sakic or Bure that season, so which one deserved the scoring title? For the 93-94 season, there were 8 other players who had higher PPG than Turgeon. Should they all be considered top 3 scorers as well?

If one did this same exercise with Eric Lindros, he'd have two Art Ross Trophies and another three seasons where he'd be the runner-up. A high exaggeration of what he actually accomplished.

Edit: Just noticed TheMoreYouKnow made the same point in post #7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
An excellent, thorough and detailed look, 70s. I'm going to disagree at a lot of the things that were said, but it's still terrific.

On Turgeon's pro-rated numbers: Yes, his pro-rated numbers in 1993-94 would have put him third in league scoring. But he's not alone. Turgeon was eighth in points-per-game in 1993-94. And to paraphrase the Hockey Scouting Report the following year: He had 94 points, but those were 94 of the quietest points in league history. Two things worth noting that year:
1) He was scintilating down the stretch. I had Turgeon in a couple of pools that season (Don't pretend you're surprised that I was gambling before I could legally drive), and I was a contender late for no other reason than I had Turgeon.
2) He stunk in the playoffs that year. In fact, his performance in the 1994 playoffs played a big role in his trade to Montreal the following year. It was stunning to see how ineffective he was against the Rangers.

And in 1999-2000, Turgeon was fourth in points-per-game.

When I made some of the comments about Oates yesterday, the thought that flashed through my mind was "a lot of these things could have been said about Turgeon." Truth be told, there is still a big difference between Oates and Turgeon. When scouts compare a player to Oates, it's pretty high praise. When they compare a player to Turgeon, it's often not meant as a compliment.

I think Turgeon had the potential to be better than Oates. When Turgeon was on, he was a joy to watch. He's one of the best that many of us we'll ever see at dictating the pace of the game. He'd "slow it down to his level," but then he'd make use of his shifty skating, and pick up the pace. But we didn't get that Turgeon on enough occasions.

But what separates Oates from Turgeon are two things: consistency and overall game. In his prime, you knew that you were going to get 70 assists a year from Oates; in his later years, you could bank on 60 assists. And you knew that one of the happiest players in the league would one of Oates' wingers. You didn't know what you would get from Turgeon. He might be great. He might struggle. He'll probably get hurt. Oates burned some bridges, but with the exception of his forgettable stint in Philly, I wouldn't say he played his way out of a city. Turgeon played his way out of Buffalo, Long Island and Montreal. He nearly played his way out of St. Louis; he saved his job with a great finish to the 1999 season, and an excellent playoff.

And obviously Oates was the better two-way performer. Turgeon was, for the most part, a one-dimensional offensive centre. Terrific dimension, but still one-dimensional. Oates was a very good defensive player who was also strong in the face-off circle.

Infinite Vision*

Yeah I've always thought Turgeon was very comparable to Oates.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Also when looking at someone's playoff scoring, you have to consider when they got their points. Turgeon's overall numbers look good, but don't hold up under closer examination. Take a look at his game logs for his four playoff seasons with Buffalo: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991. The trend is that he'll have one or two multi-point games early in the series, but in the final game when the team is facing elimination? Nothing.

I agree that Turgeon is underrated on this board, but let's overrate him. He wasn't as good as Adam Oates.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Turgeon is the epitome of the player with alot of base hits, but not a whole lot of rbis, to quote Harry Sinden.

Ahh, the old baseball analogy. I'm not fond of it. If clutch play exists, I would suspect it is much more difficult to see in baseball, a sport that is far less intense and grueling, where a player can't really "push themselves" any more than they generally do. Are there actually true examples of players who are demonstrably worse over a long period of time when runners are in scoring position? Doesn't quality of pitching matter? What about how many outs there are at the time? Does the player just not get as many chances to get RBIs because there are runners on base less often on his poor team? I'm sure there are other things too. Or, are there so many trackable individual events in baseball, that all these things wash out over time?

I think I mentioned this before when this was brought up, but that's very misleading. You're only pro-rating Turgeon's numbers, but not any of the other players. The 1999-00 season looks impressive, but all it means is that Turgeon (had he kept that same pace) would've had more points in 82 games than Jagr had in 63 games. You could say the same thing about Sakic or Bure that season, so which one deserved the scoring title? For the 93-94 season, there were 8 other players who had higher PPG than Turgeon. Should they all be considered top 3 scorers as well?

If one did this same exercise with Eric Lindros, he'd have two Art Ross Trophies and another three seasons where he'd be the runner-up. A high exaggeration of what he actually accomplished.

It's true. I brought this up at the time that MS said it in the first place. If you assume that Turgeon makes up those missed games, then assume that the others do too. That makes sense.

Or…… don't make that assumption. There's no rule saying that one has to. It's a fair statement to say "if all other things remain the same and Turgeon doesn't get injured, then the most likely occurrence is X." A lot of times I am sure the scoring races would look a lot different if some guys stayed healthy. If Turgeon won the 1999 scoring title I don't think there would be an asterisk attached, that Jagr and Bure actually had more points per game. But as I said, it's personal preference what value you place on demonstrating you're good, and actually playing the games that ran up the stats. (you could say it's similar to a Neely/Iginla career evaluatio where some might say Neely played enough games in his career to prove he was as good, where others want to say that Iginla did all that and filled in the blanks too, so to speak. Except on a single-season basis. Both valid viewpoints)

The flipside of all that, is that PPG arguments hurt Oates big time, as he was only top-10 three times, just like Turgeon (both have a ton of top-20s though)

On Turgeon's pro-rated numbers: Yes, his pro-rated numbers in 1993-94 would have put him third in league scoring. But he's not alone. Turgeon was eighth in points-per-game in 1993-94. And to paraphrase the Hockey Scouting Report the following year: He had 94 points, but those were 94 of the quietest points in league history.

In what way? Ron Francis had a lot of "quiet" points but he's an all-time great. Were Turgeon's points less valuable than others? Is there a stat that showed he put up 5 points in a few 8-2 wins, or had a few 3-point nights in 8-3 losses? If not, a statement like that can largely be attributed to what MS said about the media writing the story of Turgeon's career after the Tin Man reputation came about.

When I made some of the comments about Oates yesterday, the thought that flashed through my mind was "a lot of these things could have been said about Turgeon."

Absolutely, me too.

The thing is, not many people want to admit that they are extremely similar offensively. I think a lot of people want to say, "OK, Oates was a lot like Turgeon, but he was so much better offensively that it's more forgivable." That is not the case.

But what separates Oates from Turgeon are two things: consistency and overall game. In his prime, you knew that you were going to get 70 assists a year from Oates; in his later years, you could bank on 60 assists. And you knew that one of the happiest players in the league would one of Oates' wingers. You didn't know what you would get from Turgeon. He might be great. He might struggle. He'll probably get hurt.

I can't comment on their game to game consistency unless I watched them for full seasons at a time. I didn't, and I don't think you did, either. Longtime fans are free to speak up here.

But I can comment on their season-to-season consistency and I can tell you that Turgeon being inconsistent is nonsense. During his 13-year prime as a point per game player, he averaged 88 points a season (lockout year bumped up) with a standard deviation of 18 points. During Oates' best 13-year period he averaged 92 points, with a standard deviation of 23 points. This is roughly the same thing; I'm not going to say Oates was inconsistent because he wasn't, but his point totals did fluctuate to a greater degree than Turgeon's, who you say was inconsistent. Therefore - Turgeon was consistent.

Also, note that this is based on raw point totals and not points per game. Being injured does not equal being inconsistent, but the injuries were what made Turgeon's point totals fluctuate as they did. If you use points per game, Turgeon's average final PPG average was 1.18 with a 0.18 standard deviation. Oates' was 1.21 with a standard deviation of 0.31 points. Again, this is not as consistent. Turgeon bottomed out at 0.96 in this time - Oates had three seasons worse than that. He also had two higher highs (both with Oates) contributing to his higher SD. I think it's safe to say that, contrary to what you said, you didn't always know exactly what you were going to get from Oates.

I broke their careers up into two segments too, to see if any fluctuations were due to league scoring levels. Some were, but in both cases, Turgeon still came out with more consistent (less wildly fluctuating) figures.

And obviously Oates was the better two-way performer. Turgeon was, for the most part, a one-dimensional offensive centre. Terrific dimension, but still one-dimensional. Oates was a very good defensive player who was also strong in the face-off circle.

Oates was very strong in the faceoff circle but his defensive play is very overblown. Turgeon was entirely one-dimensional but let's not lionize Oates for things he didn't do, either.

Again, Oates had vastly superior support from defensemen and goalies in his career, and still allowed about 27% more ESGA per game than Turgeon. This isn't matchup-related, because Oates was not used as a shutdown player against the best offensive players. I realize there is a chance that this number is lying to us somehow, but how much can it really be lying? A 27% difference (despite the advantages Oates enjoyed) is pretty substantial.

Everyone has a pretty good idea how good Turgeon was defensively. Oates is overrated in this regard.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Also when looking at someone's playoff scoring, you have to consider when they got their points. Turgeon's overall numbers look good, but don't hold up under closer examination. Take a look at his game logs for his four playoff seasons with Buffalo: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991. The trend is that he'll have one or two multi-point games early in the series, but in the final game when the team is facing elimination? Nothing.

I agree that Turgeon is underrated on this board, but let's overrate him. He wasn't as good as Adam Oates.

That only really holds up to scrutiny if it can be shown that this is different from other players of his stature. For example, are there game logs that show Adam Oates Joe Nieuwendyk had a propensity to have a 1G, 2A night in a grueling 4-3 game 7 loss? I'm not banking on it; I am sure that any player has lower scoring totals if you look at games in which their team lost.

Sometimes reputations become self-fulfilling and the things we dig up can be pretty predictible if there's something we're trying to prove. I was quite shocked to find out that Turk Broda didn't win a single elimination game in his career aside from the 4 in a row in 1943, for example.

It can also be argued that, if Turgeon had a couple of multi-point games earlier in a series before scoring zero in game 6 or 7, didn't he have a huge part in making sure his team even got to game 6 or 7? Admit it, he could end up with the same totals for a given 7-game series similar to how you describe, with the same point distributions but in different games (like, say, one in the first three, one each in games 4 & 5, and then five in games 6 and 7) and they'd say "he started slow, but he sure got hot when his team needed him! So clutch! When the contrary is also true - that if he had scored as expected in games 1-3 then his team closes out the series before it goes that long.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Oates took a ton of defensive zone draws since he was such a good faceoff man. That has to account for a large part of the ESGA

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
How do you guys calculate the amount of points he would have had at the end of that system? Im seeing "pro-rated" but im not sure what that is

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
How do you guys calculate the amount of points he would have had at the end of that system? Im seeing "pro-rated" but im not sure what that is

If you're referring to the instances in which I replace the bolded years with injury-free seasons, it's simply the total in question, times the applicable season's schedule length divided by the number of games he actually played.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
If you're referring to the instances in which I replace the bolded years with injury-free seasons, it's simply the total in question, times the applicable season's schedule length divided by the number of games he actually played.

so you would times 82 games by how ever games the player played? What about finding out how many goals and assist a player would have had if they played a full season?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
so you would times 82 games by how ever games the player played? What about finding out how many goals and assist a player would have had if they played a full season?

No, that is not what I said.

It would be really phenomenal if I was able to make a post like the above, that makes sense, based on a completely nonsensical and illogical calculation :laugh:

Player scores 55 points in 50 games. Schedule was 82 games long.

55 X 82 / 50 = 90. Very simple.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree with the general premise, that while Oates was the better player, its closer than most believe.

Turgeon absolutely owned the Flyers as an Islander. Often surrounded by Stumpy Thomas, and Derek King.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad